Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: Rooted or clean?
Rooted 13 37.14%
Clean 22 62.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
Has anybody Jailbroken your nook yet?

Now that a softroot exists, I was curious to see how many, if any, of you guys have taken that plunge.

Last edited by Fuzzykinz; 01-12-2010 at 03:54 PM.
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Do I count?
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh

I don't know.. do you? *His mind-reading powers, and ability to look over past posts fails to work* >.>
Old 01-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #4
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Someone please change the title/vote - it is very suggestive in Australian English! (The word rooted..)
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
planetrobbie
Connoisseur
planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: forgotten a treo 650 for a DR1000 and now for a nook -size does matter
I'm waiting to see something really usefull coming to root it. I don't need to surf the web or listen to radio. I would really like to see more usefull Android apps ported, like pdf viewers or filemanagers (to locally delete files).

Another road could be a new touch interface but that seems a lot of work ...
planetrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Someone please change the title/vote - it is very suggestive in Australian English! (The word rooted..)
Gotcha covered... now to figure out how to edit the poll..
Old 01-12-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
JoelMBenge
JoelMBenge began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
My nook is still on order, with a Feb 1 ship date. The softroot is interesting to me, as I would love Pandora or simple RSS feed reading. Haven't looked at it too closely so I can't say whether I'm going to go for it or not.

The only thing the stock nook is really missing to me is RSS feeds. I would love a Google Reader app that would sync with my web-driven Google Reader, so I could pick up with articles where I left off while reading at work.
JoelMBenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelMBenge View Post
My nook is still on order, with a Feb 1 ship date. The softroot is interesting to me, as I would love Pandora or simple RSS feed reading. Haven't looked at it too closely so I can't say whether I'm going to go for it or not.

The only thing the stock nook is really missing to me is RSS feeds. I would love a Google Reader app that would sync with my web-driven Google Reader, so I could pick up with articles where I left off while reading at work.
That would make me happy, maybe an email feature as well... but the RSS feeds are the biggest biggy.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
planetrobbie
Connoisseur
planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.planetrobbie has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: forgotten a treo 650 for a DR1000 and now for a nook -size does matter
changing clock could motivate me a bit !
planetrobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 PM   #10
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

You can change clock thru ADB/busybox. The RSS reading application (Trook) is available in the early builds version. In the meantime you can use the NookBrowser for google reader. And whoever said they don't need the browser -- imagine you want to use a WiFi HotSpot which requires you to view the welcome page and click a button to get you internet access, how would you do that without a browser?

PS. The hold up with porting other apps is the lack of Android developers willing to put in the time and the fact that as of now there isn't an easy way to install/manage apps on nook without the computer nearby. The latter should be rectified soon.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #11
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh

Part of me honestly thinks there will never be an official nook SDK, or browser.. Which, via peer pressure, makes the part of me that wants to root my nook grow in size, and beat up the part of me that's afraid it might brick with the next official update..

Why can't they just get along =/
Old 01-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #12
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
I'm using it to hold the drmed versions only
of my eBooks. Everything else (liberated and multiformat) is on my Sonys which are not directly accessible to/by the Internet (B & N). This seems to work well for me.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #13
kbs
kbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-bookskbs has learned how to read e-books

Device: nook, prs-505, iphone
My (rooted) Nook usage

It's coming up to about 3 weeks of usage now; and mostly using the rooted Nook to have fun coding (thanks for the plug stangri!) and by a happy synergy of interests, conveniently get books from various Stanza catalogs, primarily feedbooks (what a great collection) and the occasional longer length article from news feeds. But most headline-type feeds I still just skim through from an iPhone -- for one thing, it's a hassle to conveniently get wifi connected with the Nook.

There's also times when there's just a lot of content on a web page that I prefer to read more carefully (for example the 2010 edge question) and these I bundle into an epub and sideload into the Nook (but this has nothing to do with the root'edness of my Nook

The book management on the Nook is still pretty rudimentary, and besides organizing books better, it would be neat to hook it up with online cataloging sites like LibraryThing to exchange reviews/commentaries/more recommendations as one reads a book. I don't know that B&N will find every wacky idea the best way to improve the Nook, but of course, rooting it at least opens up the possibility of non B&N apps filling in the gaps...

-kb
kbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:05 AM   #14
stangri
Addict

BTW, rooting nook has nothing to do with the DRM removal and/or use of the AT&T 3G beyond accessing B&N store. More on that here: http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_Benefits
Old 01-14-2010, 06:37 AM   #15
Exiton
Exiton began at the beginning.

Device: None
I plan on rooting after the next software update after bookmarks are fixed.
Exiton is offline   Reply With Quote