Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

I finished reading Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese yesterday, and have to recommend it as the best work of fiction I've read for a long time. Without giving too much away, the story is set in Africa and the US and tells the story of a family of doctors. It's written from the first-person perspective of one of the sons, who is also a doctor. It starts at (or even shortly before) his birth and continues to his adulthood. The story is more character driven than plot-driven, but many events happen throughout the 60 or so years of his family and professional life it chronicles.

The prose is almost poetic and lyrical and is a joy to read. It's a good idea to keep a dictionary handy, as the vocabulary is at a much higher level than you typically see in a best seller, even ignoring the medical vocabulary. It's clear that Dr. Verghese is highly intelligent.

His previous works are non-fiction, so this is his first foray into the field of fiction. Currently, it appears that only Cutting for Stone is available as an e-book, so hopefully my library stocks some of his other works, as I definitely would like to read more books by him, and I'll certainly keep an eye out for any future works of fiction he may write.

I haven't seen this title discussed previously, but I highly recommend it.

Enjoy!

SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote