Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #1
Atagahi
Enthusiast
Atagahi began at the beginning.

Device: sony 505
Unable to authorize device with Sony

I had to do a hard reset on my Sony 505 reader and when IO went to transfer books back to my reader I got a message that I need to authorize my reader. But when I push the button to do this I get a page that says "oops the page you requested is temporarily unavailable".
So then I tryed to authorize my reader by logging into my sony ebook account but I end up getting a page that says "Unable to Access ebook store".

I have emailed sony but haven't heard anything back yet. Anyone have any ideas?
Atagahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
I was also having problems accessing their ebook store. But now it's back to working. Maybe if you try again later...
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Atagahi
Enthusiast

They emailed back they said that it is either my internet connection or my security software that could be the problem. Though I am not a hunard percent sure about how to fix the security problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you have Norton, delete it. It's awful. Get Comodo. It works so much better and does not slow down your system like Norton does. Plus, Comodo is free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Atagahi
Enthusiast

I am using avg free edition I am going to uninstall it and see if thats the problem
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
hike_gc
Zealot
hike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enoughhike_gc will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nook
Try this.

I have Kaspersky Internet Security and it can be a bit ambitious at protecting my computer at times. Try adding Sony.com to your trusted internet sites (in your internet browser too)and even the library software to the trusted programs. If that doesn't work, instead of uninstalling your protection software, disable it. That may mean going to the task manager and stopping processes. Those programs can be pretty determined to run. It can even be a challenge to uninstall them because of all the processes they are running. You can also try going to the control panel to the administrative tools and shut down the services.

Good luck!
hike_gc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
admdvs
admdvs began at the beginning.

Device: sony PRS-300
i got this too.. i took the RTFM approach and found the answer...
if you goto the sony ebook store and click on help, evenutually you find the following details.. (it worked for me!)

To register/authorize your Reader Digital Book with the eBook Store, please do the following:

Install the eBook Library software provided with your Reader Digital Book.
Click on the eBook Store icon located in the left frame.
Create a eBook Store account or sign in to your existing eBook Store account.
Connect your Reader Digital Book via provided USB connector to your PC. The Reader will appear in the left frame. Note: Reader MUST be turned on and active, not in sleep mode, when connected to PC. For best results we suggest it also be fully charged.
Click on My account at the top of the page.
Once in your account, page down to bottom of page and go to Manage Devices in the My Authorized Devices section.
Your Reader will be located here at the bottom under "We have detected the following attached devices". Click "Authorize this device" to register your Reader Digital Book with your account.
admdvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #8
Unkle Bob
Unkle Bob began at the beginning.

Device: sony 300
Here is how I got access to the ebookstore

I have Norton 2008 running on Windows XP. In addition to "Home" and "Internet Security" Norton has a tab called something like "Add On Pack". After trying many things from suggestions in many postings what worked was to remove the Add On Pack. (Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Norton Add On Pack). I never used it anyway and I don't think most people do or would.
One other thing that might have had some impact was making rules for access in Norton Personal Firewall:Program Control for ebook library exec and ebook library launcher exec, although it is possible Norton might have set those up OK. I just messed around so much it is possible the rules were already OK.
Along the road I tried taking ebook out of DEP to no effect. Disabling Norton Firewall never helped. I had some Adware and Spyware monitor/removal programs that I turned off and that didn't help. Turning off Peerguardian(relates to P2P access) didn't help.
My biggest clues were that somewhere in all the research I did someone had mentioned the add on pack. I was pretty sure it was the problem when I booted into SafeMode with internet access and the Ebookstore connection worked! (Norton does not come up in safe mode).
I still get connection problems but it is obvious the cause is the Sony site. I just try again and it works. Good luck.
Unkle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote