Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #181
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
...The T1 occasionally will skip pages. There are two issues around this:
  1. Press the page forward button and it will go forward 2 pages instead of 1 (you can see the two pages flip in quick succession). Press the page back button and you're back to where you're supposed to be. This is almost like a key debounce issue although some have theorized it might be something on the infrared touch screen causing spurious page turns (which I have seen if a cat hair or crumb of food gets on the screen).
  2. You'll be on page 137 by the display and press the page forward button and get page 139. Pressing page forward and back will completely skip the intervening pages. Exiting back to the home screen and re-opening the book fixes this one.
Both happen just frequently enough to be annoying, but not so frequently that they're a major frustration...
I had this problem very occasionally too but only in some reflowed pdfs, generally ones of questionable background not professionally prepared. The few times I have tested it a rebuild of the pdf has corrected the problem.

All epub's (retail and from the wild) I read I validate and make the needed corrections arising using Sigil; as a consequence I don't recall any unexpected display problems with epubs.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 AM   #182
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmartin View Post
Besides which, surely e-pub is e-pub no matter the source?...
This is simply not true. Well designed ePubs meet standards, and validate. But there are many files with the epub extension which have been thrown together by people who do not know what they are doing, don't care about standards, and don't bother to validate the ebook.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #183
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
I had this problem very occasionally too but only in some reflowed pdfs, generally ones of questionable background not professionally prepared. The few times I have tested it a rebuild of the pdf has corrected the problem.

All epub's (retail and from the wild) I read I validate and make the needed corrections arising using Sigil; as a consequence I don't recall any unexpected display problems with epubs.
I've seen these issues with commercial EPUB's, although I do remove DRM from my EPUB's and sideload them all (usually I upload them to Dropbox and use the T1 to download them from Dropbox). I very rarely will download a DRM'd EPUB directly to the T1... if I buy something and want to read it right then, but aren't near a computer to strip the DRM. I love the fact that the T1has ADE built in and CAN download directly from Kobo, libraries, etc. even though I rarely use it.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:50 PM   #184
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
There is no other ereader software that even comes close to the stability of the Sony firmware in the epub world. Just explore some of the forums on Mobileread and you will understand why I say that.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #185
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
There is no other ereader software that even comes close to the stability of the Sony firmware in the epub world. Just explore some of the forums on Mobileread and you will understand why I say that.
I definitely agree. I like the build quality of Sony's devices and while I have seen quirks in the software, for the most part it just let's me do what the device is intended to do: read a book. I also like the physical page turn buttons. Sony was first to market with an eInk device and first to have a frontlit device and the first touch eInk device, but they've definitely fallen behind innovation wise. I finally picked up a cheap Kindle Touch and while it does a few things better than the Sony (mainly the cloud sync), I still prefer my Sony T1 for daily reading.
Advert
Old 08-21-2013, 01:26 AM   #186
alvina
Connoisseur
alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.alvina is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Oh a new Sony ereader with Glo? Sounds interesting. I'm quite happy with my T1 but I'm curious what Sony has to offer this year.
alvina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:00 AM   #187
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
possibly without glo...

http://translate.google.com/translat...ne-frontlight/

Last edited by uboot; 08-21-2013 at 03:04 AM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:50 AM   #188
hwlester
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
That article doesn't really say anything we didn't already know:
  • Sony came out with the first frontlit reader.
  • The director of Sony France said she didn't think Sony would make another lighted reader.
  • Sony France doesn't make these type of decisions.
  • Sony has fallen behind innovation wise.

I wouldn't count Sony out just yet.

Last edited by hwlester; 08-21-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:56 AM   #189
hwlester
Wizard

Duplicate post
Old 08-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #190
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
According to this post on The Digital Reader a German product description of the T3 has leaked. It doesn't mention a light, which doesn't bode well for those amongst us that would prefer integrated frontlight as it would've been a strange omission

Here is the longest product description:

Quote:
Leichter E-Book Reader inkl. Cover mit automatischer Start/Sleep-Funktion, mit IR Touchscreen, W-LAN (802.11b/g/n), Systemvoraussetzung: 6'' Bildschirmdiagonale (152.4mm), E Ink Pearls HD Touchscreen (1024 x 758, 212 dpi), 16 Graustufen-Display. Aufladbarer Lithium-Ion-Akku, Voll aufladbar innert 2Stunden. inklusive USB-Kabelanschluss, Nonbook; H16.0xB10.9xD1.13cm, 200 g.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #191
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Yup - "Leichter" translates into "lightweight" - not to be confused with "Leuchter"

And the fact that Sony offers a cover with built-in reading light strongly implies that the reader won't have an illuminated display on its own...

An eReader with retractable "Leuchter" would be awesome!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=leuc...=lnms&tbm=isch
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronleuchter

Just imagine the reactions of the people at the bus-stop, when you activate the magic "Leuchter"-Illumination...

Last edited by uboot; 08-22-2013 at 09:49 AM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:50 AM   #192
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah well, guess time to write Sony off. They've been working hard to lose the ereader game for a bit now.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #193
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitou Ace View Post
Ah well, guess time to write Sony off. They've been working hard to lose the ereader game for a bit now.
While you're at it why don't you write off Apple, Samsung, and Google? All 3 are pursuing the same strategy as Sony.

Sony isn't in the ereader game. They're not even in the ebook game. Instead Sony is interested in selling content on their smartphones and tablets - just like Apple and Samsung.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:14 AM   #194
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
While you're at it why don't you write off Apple, Samsung, and Google? All 3 are pursuing the same strategy as Sony.

Sony isn't in the ereader game. They're not even in the ebook game. Instead Sony is interested in selling content on their smartphones and tablets - just like Apple and Samsung.
And since I don't look at those companies for ereaders, and we're on an ereader forum, talking about a new ereader, what makes you think I am considering any of those companies as a viable ereader purchase?

So rest assured that yes, I have written of Apple, Google and Samsung when it comes to buying an e-ink screen ereader as well. I imagine that would be obvious?
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:46 AM   #195
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Apple, Samsung, and Google are thoroughly written off by me, at least, as they don't make E-Ink readers. I have also lost faith in Volkswagen, Hoover and Nike

I'm clutching at the straw that Sony will also release a lighted reader along with the one in the description. I have had several Sony readers, and all featured very solid software and good build quality. Unless the lighted display itself is shot down in reviews I'll very likely buy one. It's strange if they choose to forgo a killer feature like integrated lighting (neither clip-on lights nor lighted covers suit me, have tried both) as long as they're still launching readers. It seems like lots of people like frontlights in their readers after all.

Oh well, I'll await their announcement, and if I'm disappointed I'll probably buy a Kobo Glo. The PW, while having an excellent display, has some serious flaws which makes it a non-contender for me (not a topic for discussion in this thread).
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote