Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 AM   #1
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo, Kobo Wifi, Kobo Touch
Updating covers on sideloaded books

The next release of calibre 0.8.22 will support uploading covers to your kobo. It is fairly simple to do: you simple send the book to the device again and the cover is updated.

The feature defaults to grayscale image conversion but the plugin can be customized in the preferences to send colour images instead. All of the images used by the device are replaced with the new image in the correct size.

Let me know if you see any issues.

Tim
timlegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Nice, Can't wait.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
you mean as a part of the actual ebook? because I thought Caliber was already sending the cover as an additional separate jpeg?
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My understanding is that this will allow you to send a new cover to the device without creating a Calibre style sheet. For folks who do not want things like margins controlled by Calibre, rather than by the device, this is a very good thing.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
timlegge
Addict
timlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than momtimlegge loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
you mean as a part of the actual ebook? because I thought Caliber was already sending the cover as an additional separate jpeg?
The kobo parses the epub file that is sent and extracts the cover image. It resizes it to create 3 or four files that are displayed in different situations.

Calibre also has the ability to send a cover image separately (it does that when a book is sent if the driver supports it).

This release tells calibre that the kobo wants the cover uploaded separately and includes functionality to resize the images and place them in the correct location.

As I think about it now I need to look at the initial sending of the book. In that case the database has no record of the book (or images) so the cover is not sent separately. However because the book has not been sent the Kobo will extract the cover from the epub that is currently being sent (hopefully the one you want)
Advert
Old 10-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #6
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
I've noticed that if you upload a modified (side-loaded) epub, one that you have changed the cover on, and it has the same file name as the one with the cover you wanted to replace you won't see the new cover in some situations. This happened to me and I had to copy over the same book with a slightly modified file name to have the new cover appear in all situations.

During this experiment I found a folder on the Kobo Touch (.kobo\images) with all of the covers of my books as well as the covers of books I had deleted.

*Question for the Kobo Touch developers: Why are there still covers on the device if the book in question has been deleted? In my case the usual number seems to be four images per book (side loaded) but in some cases there are up to eight images. One of these books I know that I deleted, changed the cover and side-loaded it again first with the same file name.*
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #7
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post

During this experiment I found a folder on the Kobo Touch (.kobo\images) with all of the covers of my books as well as the covers of books I had deleted.

*Question for the Kobo Touch developers: Why are there still covers on the device if the book in question has been deleted? In my case the usual number seems to be four images per book (side loaded) but in some cases there are up to eight images. One of these books I know that I deleted, changed the cover and side-loaded it again first with the same file name.*
How was the previous book deleted? Calibre should delete all the images when the book was deleted. If it doesn't let me know and I will look into it.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:56 AM   #8
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by timlegge View Post
How was the previous book deleted? Calibre should delete all the images when the book was deleted. If it doesn't let me know and I will look into it.
It was deleted from within the touch software. In this case I deleted the book from the 'Library-Books-context menu' by selecting delete. Calibre had nothing to do with my experience. I tend to side load with a simple drag and drop.
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
timlegge
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
It was deleted from within the touch software. In this case I deleted the book from the 'Library-Books-context menu' by selecting delete. Calibre had nothing to do with my experience. I tend to side load with a simple drag and drop.
Calibre cleans up all the images when you delete a book. I seem to remember the kobo leaving some things around but I could be wrong. Simply load the book again with the same name and calibre might be able to delete the stray images

Tim