Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
javyn
Enthusiast
javyn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
New Nook user with a few questions

Hey all,

I am new here, and am receiving (hopefully) my first e-reader in the mail tomorrow, a refurbished BN Nook Classic.

I'm generally a pretty tech savvy guy, so feel foolish for asking such basic questions, but the e-reader world really is new to me.

If anyone wouldn't mind chiming in with some fast answers to some pretty basic questions, I'd appreciate it!

1. Rooting...... Read a bit about rooting the OS on these devices. I'm definitely amenable to this idea, but, can you even root a Nook Classic? And if so, what extra capabilities does it give? What capabilities does it take away? Honestly, I don't see myself connecting to BN or Amazon (like that would even be possible I imagine). Most of what I want to read for pleasure is in the public domain, and I don't care for magazines.

2. Cover/protective case......are these really recommended? I mean, seriously, do you need to buy one? I'd prefer to just carry it around in my laptop bag as is, is the screen really that fragile?

3. PDF support.....I imagine that PDF support is limited on these, and on the 6" screen, probably won't look great. What are your experiences? One of the main reasons I wanted an e-reader is because I work in a law office and read through countless pages of PDF documents, and would like an alternative to flipping through them on the computer screen, or printing thousands of pages almost daily.

4. Since this will have WiFi, I'm assuming it has a web browser built in. I also assume, that since this is a black and white e-reader, the web browser is probably crap. I don't intend on using it that much, but am wondering...

Rooted or not, is the Nook Classic capable of loading the Google sites? Gmail, Google Reader, Google Calendar, Google Contacts?

If special setup/tweaking is needed, could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a ton all!
javyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:28 PM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I can answer no. 2 and no. 4.

Get a case! It is highly recommended that you get one. E-ink screens can be sensitive to torque. The case will help protect the screen, especially if you're going to carry it in a bag. Don't get me wrong. You don't have to be extra gentle to it. I would handle it the same way I would handle any other electronic device. I put my covered nook in my purse with my wallet, iPod Touch, cell phone, and keys whenever I leave the house. So it's not fragile. You just have to be slightly more cautious with the e-ink screen. The cover will help protect it in case you do something like drop your bag. Also, I recommend you get a sturdy case that covers the screen when closed.

You can check Gmail but you have to use the html version not the full version. You won't be able to use Google Reader (at least I wasn't able to). A message appeared that said I needed a different web browser to access Reader. I would imagine that you may have some difficulties with other Google apps as well. Honestly, I really would not recommend using the browser on the Nook, even for basic tasks. Using the LCD touchscreen to navigate while looking at the e-ink screen is such a hassle for me.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:16 PM   #3
javyn
Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply!

Would anyone happen to know if I can just drag and drop epub files to the Nook via USB without having to Root it?

I have a feeling I'm going to be getting a 1.5 version that I just can't root. It's my luck with things.

If I have to depend on BN.com to get anything loaded onto this, I'll just return it immediately.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

#2: A case is the best investment you can make. The eink screens can be very delicate. I dropped mine, and destroyed it. Normal handling isn't a problem, but sharp jolts are very, very bad.

#3: PDFs are really more a print medium than on-screen, and as you say, the screen is too small to be very good. Depending on how the file is formatted, the nook classic might be able to re-flow it, so that you can get text big enough to read without having to scroll back and forth (which, BTW, the nook color can't do), so it might work out. But it's a pretty small screen for that.

#4: The web browser does kinda suck, yeah. If you root it, there are other options.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #5
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
You can drag and drop as long as you know where to drop it (My documents)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 03:38 PM   #6
rxmom03
Addict
rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rxmom03 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pixel 8, iPad Air, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post

Would anyone happen to know if I can just drag and drop epub files to the Nook via USB without having to Root it?
You can--they go in your documents, not on the main library screen with the books you get from BN. I ended up getting a 1.5 version, but once I found out I could have shelves in documents as well as my main library, then all was good.

And you can get on the web, but it's really hard (at least to me!!). I really haven't gotten the knack of reading the e-ink screen and trying to navigate with the touch screen below it. Only in a dire emergency would I try it!
rxmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
There are two methods to root a 1.5 version Nook classic. Check nookdevs.

I rooted to get the improved library app which combines documents and b&n into a single library and is searchable, and to get the trook app which reads news feeds, allows browsing and downloading from public domain collections without having to hook up to a computer using usb as well as making a wifi connection to a book collection on your computer using Calibre. There is also an app which allows you to read Google book streams directly.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
javyn
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses guys!

Unfortunately my Nook has 1.5 software version, and a serial number beginning with 10104. Not sure if that means I can root it or not.

Also, where the heck does the MicroSD card go? I see no slot on here
Old 05-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by javyn View Post
Thanks for the responses guys!

Unfortunately my Nook has 1.5 software version, and a serial number beginning with 10104. Not sure if that means I can root it or not.

Also, where the heck does the MicroSD card go? I see no slot on here
I think you can still root it but it'll be harder. At least that's what I've read on MR.

To access the MicroSD card slot, take off the back cover and you'll see it. It's next to the battery on the left.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
javyn
Enthusiast

Ahh, thanks. Well if I'm able to root this, and use Calibre to manage my library, I doubt I'll need an SD card anyway.

1.3 gigs is A LOT for ebooks as it is.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #11
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
As a fairly new NOOK owner myself (and a tech-geek and tinkerer) Hopefully I can help out on this one.

Quote:
1. Rooting...... Read a bit about rooting the OS on these devices. I'm definitely amenable to this idea, but, can you even root a Nook Classic?
Yes you can root it. I have firmware v1.5 and SN10036. However Rooting that combination is, at present a royal pain in the backside for only a modest improvement in capabilities.

Read the instructions here and UNDERSTAND before you even attempt. In all honesty though I wouldn't bother as I think that "the juice isn't worth the squeeze".

Quote:
2. Cover/protective case......are these really recommended?
I vote yes. Of course I made my own so that gives me a different perspective.

Quote:
3. PDF support.....I imagine that PDF support is limited on these, and on the 6" screen, probably won't look great.
I agree completely. PDF support works but it's tiny tiny tiny. You would be FAR better off translating any PDF files to ePub with the free Calibre software.

Quote:
4. Since this will have WiFi, I'm assuming it has a web browser built in. I also assume, that since this is a black and white e-reader, the web browser is probably crap.
I've tried the browser...I found it too annoying to use on the NOOK Classic and have basically only used it to access better dictionaries online. The rest of the time my WiFi stays off actually so that's as much as I can tell you about the browser.

One other thing to note is that although the NOOK has the storage capacity for several thousand books (or tens of thousands of books with an expansion card) the OS chokes at somewhere around 1900-2200 titles. Additionally the cataloging method on the device is pretty cumbersome at much over 200-300 titles.

I had initially intended to have my ENTIRE library "in my hand" but the NOOK simply isn't ready for that. However I was able to come up with a different plan, using Calibre on my PC to organize/catalog/locate my books and putting selected ones on the NOOK to read. So far it's worked pretty well though even with 1200 titles installed I still came up with a reference work or two that I didn't have on hand when I wanted them <sigh>.

So these days my operations are basically my PC+Calibre= "The Library" and the NOOK="books checked out to read at the present time". Actually it's working out pretty well so far.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
javyn
Enthusiast

Thanks! When you guys state your serials, are you quoting the last digits in the SN or first?

Mine is nothing like 100X either in the front or back of the number.

As far as storing ENTIRE libraries on the Nook...well that's just bananas haha. I have Calibre now and over 5 gigs of storage, I think I'm okay.

Should I be able to root my Nook, are there any other features/addons available to me that would expand functionality?

I see on this thing, it has a "Contacts" option. I assume (really hope!) this means I can import my contact list from Microsoft Outlook and/or Google? If not, I have no idea how they'd expect you to key one in yourself with that swipe pad.

Also, I hear that if it's rooted, I can somehow get my RSS feeds to this thing, any truth to that?
Old 05-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #13
zespectre
BookMonkey
zespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texanzespectre might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: NOOK, iPod Touch, Asus Netbook
Quote:
Thanks! When you guys state your serials, are you quoting the last digits in the SN or first?
I'm quoting the first from the sticker underneath the back cover.

Quote:
As far as storing ENTIRE libraries on the Nook...well that's just bananas haha
Yeah I know...I still hoped that I could do it <sigh>.

Quote:
I see on this thing, it has a "Contacts" option. I assume (really hope!) this means I can import my contact list from Microsoft Outlook and/or Google?
Beats me, I haven't actually messed with that function at all.
zespectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #14
javyn
Enthusiast

Actually re: contacts, you input it yourself to share books w/ other Nook owners. Not expecting this to be a PIM or anything, but was going to see an importable contact list as a nice bonus
Old 05-03-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
javyn
Enthusiast

Okay, here's another....I can't use my Nook while it's plugged into the PC, even when the device is unmounted from the operating system. And no, don't have an SD card.

Anyone else ever experience this?