Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Odd conversion problem

I have some files that were probably converted from pdf's without the line unwrapping. Every line has a carriage return.
I converted sveral of these files (lit, lrf) to pdf and then reconverted them with the line unwrapping set to 0.04 which seemed to do ok except that wherever there are two lower case l's there is one l and a space (following = fol owing, really = real y, well = wel , all = al )Brilliant is ok oddly enough
Double e's are ok and Lloyd is ok.
So I thought I will try exporting them (the pdf's created by calibre) as html or rtf from adobe and got characters like this (Oa[KQbMILbM[YQLMaQ[[KQbM_L
Then I converted to rtf in Calibre (6.91 beta) and still the missing l's

The ls were all correct in the original document and the pdf. They just got changed when converting the pdf
I can deal with this with search and replace in the rtf but am wondering what is happening and/or if there is a better way to accomplish what I want to do.
Thanks for any input.
Helen

Last edited by speakingtohe; 05-09-2010 at 01:30 PM.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
except that wherever there are two lower case l's there is one l and a space (following = fol owing, really = real y, well = wel , all = al )Brilliant is ok oddly enough
This is a known problem in the pdftohtml program Calibre uses for conversion. I believe this will be addressed when the new PDF conversion engine is released, date of release TBD.

From calibre's bug tracker.

Quote:
Missing letters from converted PDF
  • status changed from new to closed
  • resolution set to wontfix
This is a bug in pdftohtml (the program calibre calls to convert PDf to HTML. Open a bug report at ?http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=45839
If/when they fix the bug, re-open this ticket and I will add the fix to calibre.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Allrighty
I am sure I will survive
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote