Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 PM   #1
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
The Heir Hunter

The Heir Hunter, by Chris Larsgaard, can be had for as little as 31 cents over at Fictionwise, with rebates and membership and the 25% coupon that expires after today (but typically keeps working for a few days afterwards). Before the coupon, the price is 50 cents after rebate for non-members and 43 cents for members. The only two formats available are both DRM secured: Mobipocket and eReader.

Book Description
An unclaimed $22-million estate is up for grabs in first-time novelist Larsgaard's ingenious thriller. Sexy attorney Alex Moreno-the Albany, N.Y.-based partner to former cop Nick Merchant who now specializes in finding heirs to unsettled estates-slips a county deputy attorney a $10,000 bribe to get a sneak preview of four probate files 10 days before the official release date. One of the files contains the mind-boggling multimillion-dollar legacy of Gerald Jacobs, an 87-year-old Hudson, N.Y., recluse who died with no apparent heirs. Since Nick's customary finder's fee averages about 30%, this represents the proverbial jackpot. Unfortunately, there is absolutely no record of the deceased's life earlier than his final three years at the Hudson address, so leads for Nick and Alex are meager. Unaware of clandestine forces working to quash any probe into the dead man's background, the intrepid heir hunters stage a daylight burglary of Jacobs's residence, but are interrupted by a mysterious intruder who shoots a cop investigating the reported break-in. Accused of attempted murder, Nick follows sketchy clues obtained in the burglary and winds up in Germany, where he finds an old lover of Jacobs and learns that the mysterious retiree was part of the FBI's witness protection program. The plot thickens and the chase picks up speed as Nick investigates in Iowa and Geneva. Grim reminders of the Holocaust and Swiss bankers' collusion with the Nazis--plus a sobering look at federal agencies operating outside the law--are well drawn, as is an artful undercurrent of sexual tension. If one forgives a brief lapse in the middle of the story that gives a bit too much plot away, and sporadic missteps from the fledgling author's earnest tendency to overwrite, this fine debut oozes authenticity and provides a fascinating glimpse into the quixotic and dangerous realm of high-stakes "assets recovery."

Click HERE for the book listing and don't forget to use coupon code JK25 for the extra 25% off.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:31 AM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Four more new releases at same price (must be an error) at Fictionwise:

The Furies
The Gun Fight
The Vitamin Book
The Calorie Counter, 5th Edition

Could a mod fix the header? Perhaps "Under a Dollar at Fictionwise"?
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Device: NookColor (MiRage/CM7.2 & Moon+ Reader Pro)
I bought 3 of these books and none of them download the correct books. They are all pointing to various classic titles. I have opened 3 tickets with Fictionwise.
tselling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #4
tselling
Addict
tselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enoughtselling will become famous soon enough

Under $1 at Fictionwise

Fictionwise has fixed the downloads for the ones I bought to include: Heir Hunter (mobipocket), The Gun Fight (no mobipocket... so they refunded and I bought ereader and downloaded ok).

Also I found two more great values under $1

The Eternal Prison (Avery Cates #3) [Secure eReader (recommended)/Mobipocket] by Jeff Somers
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1.../Jeff-Somers/?
and
Full Circle [Castings Trilogy Series #3] [Secure eReader (recommended)/Mobipocket] by Pamela Freeman
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1...mela-Freeman/?

Initially both of these downloaded George Bernard Shaw classics (mobipocket) .... but Fictionwise fixed both of these downloads as well.

The following one is also under $1 but I already have it so cannot guarantee the download works (you might have to open a ticket if it downloads a classic instead):
Blood Ties [The Castings Trilogy Book 1] [Secure eReader (recommended)/Microsoft Reader/Adobe EPUB] by Pamela Freeman
Old 01-03-2010, 11:57 PM   #5
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Blood Ties was the dollar book from Orbit back in November. But these two from Freeman look like new listings for books they already have (at much higher prices).
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #6
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Thanks! Full circle was $0.63 after the 25% off coupon -- I got to use my Micropay balance which was down to $0.67!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer

My download of Heir Hunter is still wrong and no email STILL from them on the problem.

So, I still have four useless classics, instead of the four I purchased.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
tselling
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
My download of Heir Hunter is still wrong and no email STILL from them on the problem.

So, I still have four useless classics, instead of the four I purchased.
Did you buy the mobipocket version? I would think those would download ok for the ones they fixed for me.

Fictionwise does take awhile on tickets.... maybe 4 business days on some. But worth the wait for me for such a good price.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Yes, mobi on all of them. All of them still on my bookshelf as mobi. I deleted all the copies I'd downloaded and redownloaded - exact same file sizes and same content when I opened in mobipocket reader.

I've opened new tickets, one per book.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
tselling
Addict

Hmmm, I guess then they only fixed my bookshelf not the actual ebook listing if you purchased after I got my downloads fixed. I opened one ticket per ebook. At one time I had 7 tickets open. They seemed to fix them all at one time even though a couple had been opened a couple of days earlier than the others. Maybe their support person only works certain days/hours.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
tselling
Addict

I purchased a couple more under $1 at Fictionwise.

Bite Marks (Jaz Parks Series Book 6) by Jennifer Rardin
Green Team: Rogue Warrior III by Richard Marcinko
Far North: A Novel by Marcel Theroux

I tested buying Secure EReader format vs Secure Mobipocket format. Secure EReader format has always pointed to the correct book. Secure Mobipocket never seems to and I always have to open a ticket. When possible Fictionwise will fix the mobipocket download but not all the books were available in Mobipocket. I am finding these under "Recently Reduced" in Fictionwise.com and EReader.com. If I had to make a guess, I would say these books were reduced at EReader.com but are somehow linked at Fictionwise.

https://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/recentlyreduced.htm
http://www.ereader.com/servlet/mw?t=...yreduced&si=59