Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
jumafl
Enthusiast
jumafl began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
How to exclude Video from CNN Recipe?

I’m enjoying reading CNN news on my Kindle but I’m having a problem with links to videos being included in the mobi file. Since the actual video isn’t included in the mobi file, these links bring up the next valid story rather than the one I expected to read.

I found this code from Starson17 in the Re-usable Code posting in the Recipe forum that can be used to remove videos:
def parse_feeds (self):
feeds = BasicNewsRecipe.parse_feeds(self)
for feed in feeds:
for article in feed.articles[:]:
print 'article.title is: ', article.title
if 'VIDEO' in article.title.upper() or 'GOAT' in article.url:
feed.articles.remove(article)
return feeds

I can’t get this code to block videos in the CNN recipe. I believe this is because the recipe code is looking at the link on the CNN feed page which doesn’t contain the word ‘video’. However, the feed page link is redirected to a link that does contain the word ‘video’.

Is there a way to change the CNN recipe to eliminate feeds based on the content of the redirected link?

Here are some examples.

Link to CNN feeds: http://www.cnn.com/services/rss/

Example 1

A feed titled ‘See ship explode Hollywood style’ dated June 9 @ 10:29 AM contains this link: http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/cnn_topsto...osion.cnn.html

Following the above link, the browser redirects to this link that contains “/video/”: http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...osion.cnn.html

Example 2

A feed titled ‘Who is the suspected gunman?’ dated June 9 @ 11:07 AM contains this link: http://rss.cnn.com/~r/rss/cnn_topsto...ified.cnn.html

Following the above line, the browser redirects to this link that contains “/video/”: http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...ified.cnn.html
jumafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need to implement preprocess_html, detect the video element and either remove it or return None, in which case the whole article will be skipped.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #3
jumafl
Enthusiast
jumafl began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks Kovid. I was able to find where preprocess_html is mentioned in the documentation but couldn't find any examples of how to use it to filter articles based on the redirected URL. I searched other recipes hoping to find a working example but so far have had no success.

If you or one of the other experts in this forum have time to take a look at this issue, I would appreciate the help.
jumafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you wish to filter based on URL, you can implement get_article_url and return None for those articles you want skipped.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote