Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #46
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
To start with it will be for Kindle, Nook, Sony, PDFs and ePub. We will add more as the site grows and there becomes more of a demand.

Last edited by eddiek; 01-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.
eddiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #47
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
To start with it will be for Kindle, Nook, Sony, PDFs and ePub. We will add more as the site grows and there becomes more of a demand.
How will it work for Sonys? They can't read Kindle or Nook DRM'd ebooks, and can't use the lending feature.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 08:12 PM   #48
luv2knit
luv2knit began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
Guys, I am working on a pretty decent idea. I have the site up and am just finishing it now. What I would really like are some suggestions and/or anyone willing to help out and moderate.

Let me know
Eddie
I would encourage you to check out www.paperbackswap.com to see a regular book site that functions extremely well. it could give you a lot of ideas.

i use this site a ton, at least in my past life prior to having an eReader... now i foresee using it to obtain books for my mom and hubby but not so much me. but it has some great features in how you get started, how you essentially get "1 point" for every book you send someone, and you bank those points and spend them for other books you find...

its such a great idea, and i can see lots of parallels for ebooks that could work. especially helpful are all the book summaries, how it pulls up cover images and also reviews, etc.

best of luck!
luv2knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:03 AM   #49
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
People complaining about piracy.
From what I gather you don't actually give your ebook to someone. You just allow them to download the book from Amazon so I don't see how this will help piracy in anyway.

Personally I think Amazon and others should come up with some kind group accounts so people in one family or freinds can lend books between themselves to stop people from exploiting this the number of people allowed in a group should be limited.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:21 AM   #50
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
People in a family can freely share books by having their Kindles registered to the same Amazon account.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 AM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel
From what I gather you don't actually give your ebook to someone. You just allow them to download the book from Amazon so I don't see how this will help piracy in anyway.
That would be fine if that is indeed how it works. But the above assumption doesn't jive with this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek
"Kindle or Nook" via their lending program?... Fine.
"Sony, PDF's and Epub"?? What makes it legal to "lend" any of these ebooks -- if they don't already fall under the Kindle or Nook umbrella?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #52
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Well, they can download the borrowed book from Amazon and then take the measures needed to keep it forever, copy it, etc. The person doing the loaning (or the site facilitating the loan) would never know. People already do this with ebooks from regular libraries.

People using the lending feature among friends and family members wouldn't have this issue so much, but lending libraries like this one and the others popping up are bound to attract people who intend to do just that. Even with a credit system, they still can double their number of ebooks for free.

I wouldn't lend an ebook to a complete stranger any more than I'd lend a paper book to them.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #53
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
In my experience, you need to have the DRM enabled on the book to allow lending. If the book is DRM free (like some of my Indie books or a couple of books I have picked up from Baen) then the lending feature is not recognized...
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:35 PM   #54
Booklends
Making eBook lending easy
Booklends began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Haha, glad to see there is so much interest in lending eBooks. We're actually throwing our hat into the ring and building Yet Another EBook Lending Site too

Our site is http://www.booklends.com and we hope to have it ready in the next week or so! Visit the site today to sign up for our mailing list and we will let you know when things are ready!
Booklends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:45 PM   #55
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I have a kobo but that doesn't have any lending
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #56
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. We have just launched our site in Beta! The website is http://ebooklendinglibrary.com

Please let me know what you think, and any suggestions you may have.

Eddie

Last edited by eddiek; 01-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.
eddiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:13 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieGator View Post
In my experience, you need to have the DRM enabled on the book to allow lending. If the book is DRM free (like some of my Indie books or a couple of books I have picked up from Baen) then the lending feature is not recognized...
Of course not. What's being said, though, is that there's absolutely nothing to stop someone borrowing a book, stripping its DRM, and then keeping it forever.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #58
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I take back any concerns I had about this site possibly contributing to piracy. The process of "loaning" an ebook has been over-complicated (and made counter-intuitive) enough to make it unattractive to potential pirates.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #59
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieGator View Post
Does the lending feature work on non-DRM'd books from Amazon? I wouldn't expect it to work on sideloaded books, but it should work on anything purchasable through Amazon, whether or not it has DRM.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #60
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
In the last 100 years the Publishing industry has had no other choice but to sit back and endure the Library system. There was little they could do to stop it because once they sold a book it was beyond their control. They also soon realised that having to physically visit a Library repeatedly was a natural barrier to Library use that, combined with some other limitations, restricted Library reading to a bearable level for their commercial interests.

And that is not to deny the value of libraries in promoting reading and hence purchasing.

But let's face it, if Library use had exploded to, say, 75% of the population at some time in the middle of last century ... could the Publishing industry have survived ?

So what about the future ? No physical restrictions. No social stigma. What can be done to create a usage model where the business model does not collapse ? because I really believe and worry about what I said in my post. What is a reader's motivation to pay full price as opposed to borrow ? What happens if 75% of all readers get all of their eBooks from online libraries ?

If everyone starts borrowing how can publishers and editors and writers make money ?
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote