Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 02:43 PM   #16
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Daffy4u, the site isn't completed yet. If you pm me I can provide a link. I also don't believe the admins and mods here would like me spamming a link to my site. I'm not sure about their rules.

Last edited by eddiek; 01-20-2011 at 10:45 AM.
eddiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiek View Post
Daffy4u, the site isn't completed yet. If you pm me I can provide a link. I also don't believe the admins and mods here would like me spamming a link to my site. I'm not sure about their rules.
Speaking as a moderator, Eddie, once your site is up and running and you're ready to go public, it's absolutely fine to have a discreet link to it in your signature. That's entirely in accordance with our guidelines.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #18
eddiek
Enthusiast
eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.eddiek has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the Information Harry
Old 01-12-2011, 05:23 PM   #19
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
As someone who has been a member at Books For Nooks for about half a year (and I think it's been in operating since about the time the Nook was released), I'm not sure why several people here keep coming up with a "I think I should create yet another book lending site" just because they think they can write a nicer interface. One of the issues is that these sites need a critical mass. Most people will probably pick a single site , and if they don't see something they want to borrow at that site, they'll just give up. Who wants to enter 50 books at multiple sites and keep the status updated at the rest after loaning from a request at one site?
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:17 PM   #20
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Sign me up!
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #21
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
I'd prefer a site that accepted all ereaders capable of permitting book lending over one that limited itself to a particular manufacturer/book seller/store.

I'd also want that site to implement some sort of 'credit' for people who lend more than they borrow and to keep a balance so people don't just borrow all the time and contribute nothing. An alternative might be other ways to 'contribute' such as donations to the site or performing 'volunteer' services like a moderator etc but should'nt be a 'free pass' to just borrow books and share none.

There should be something to protect members from exposing their email address, in the situations where that is how lending works, to anyone capable of viewing the site. Something like requiring that a member have at least one verifiable book to lend etc.

Having said all that I'd add that such a new site would have to offer more than is currently offered by other such sites, a better system of searching is one thing others might be some kind of 'reward' for 'very good' members, ie a monthly book credit at a book store or perhaps allowing 'excellent' lenders to have additional books in their waiting to borrow list/queue or the like.

If the site was a money making one I'd be less inclined to be involved as the process is something that can be done by members themselves. Contributions/donations are fine but I'd expect they'd come later if/when the site/community grows large or popular enough.

That's my take on it anyway, I'm not involved with a lending site right now I think I could only lend books via the kindle for android app if/when I get involved with such a site.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #22
angela99
angela99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP36 View Post
I'd prefer a site that accepted all ereaders capable of permitting book lending over one that limited itself to a particular manufacturer/book seller/store.

I'd also want that site to implement some sort of 'credit' for people who lend more than they borrow and to keep a balance so people don't just borrow all the time and contribute nothing. An alternative might be other ways to 'contribute' such as donations to the site or performing 'volunteer' services like a moderator etc but should'nt be a 'free pass' to just borrow books and share none.

There should be something to protect members from exposing their email address, in the situations where that is how lending works, to anyone capable of viewing the site. Something like requiring that a member have at least one verifiable book to lend etc.

Having said all that I'd add that such a new site would have to offer more than is currently offered by other such sites, a better system of searching is one thing others might be some kind of 'reward' for 'very good' members, ie a monthly book credit at a book store or perhaps allowing 'excellent' lenders to have additional books in their waiting to borrow list/queue or the like.

If the site was a money making one I'd be less inclined to be involved as the process is something that can be done by members themselves. Contributions/donations are fine but I'd expect they'd come later if/when the site/community grows large or popular enough.

That's my take on it anyway, I'm not involved with a lending site right now I think I could only lend books via the kindle for android app if/when I get involved with such a site.
I'd love something like that.
angela99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #23
rdfry
loving the books
rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rdfry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted Nook, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, Galaxy Note 5, 2 Fire 7s Note 8
looks like some of the publishers have put the kibosh on Lending.
rdfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:22 AM   #24
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
So... you buy a book, read it, and then make it available for lending? It would be a slow process as you can only lend to one person at a time... and people might not be interested in your kind of books...

Would you have to remove DRM to make this possible?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
So... you buy a book, read it, and then make it available for lending? It would be a slow process as you can only lend to one person at a time... and people might not be interested in your kind of books...

Would you have to remove DRM to make this possible?
No. Both the nook and the Kindle have the ability to lend a book, one time only, for a period of up to 14 days. While it's on loan, you can't read it yourself. Note that it's not a case of "you can only lend it to one person at a time" but "you can only lend it ONCE." DRM removal is not required; this is a strictly legit thing.

A publisher decides whether or not a particular book can be lent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:23 AM   #26
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No. Both the nook and the Kindle have the ability to lend a book, one time only, for a period of up to 14 days. While it's on loan, you can't read it yourself. Note that it's not a case of "you can only lend it to one person at a time" but "you can only lend it ONCE." DRM removal is not required; this is a strictly legit thing.

A publisher decides whether or not a particular book can be lent.
Oh, well that kind of kills the idea of a 'library' with people loaning out their books then, just a one off swap for the 'lucky' people who manage to get lent a book the one and only time that can ever happen. Here I was thinking it was a kind of cool 'community' where people could share their books w/o wasting money/time shipping them back and forth or in local situations lugging them to some communal location over and over.

To me that makes sites dedicated to lending e-books kind of pointless. I certainly understand the business aspect of not wanting people being able to more easily and freely share books but one loan ever also seems extreme.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #27
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The lending feature in its current format is so limited I am not sure that joining such a site would be worth it. If I lend books with folks it will be family and friends.

I agree. Until books (Kindle) can be loaned out with fewer restrictions, sorry--not interested.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #28
eddiek
Enthusiast

Guys and Gals, I have a system in place to help the process of lending. We realize that books can only be lent once, so we have a system that rewards those lending books. If anyone would like to see what we have so far, please send me a PM. The site will probably launch sometime next week.

Last edited by eddiek; 01-20-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #29
eddiek
Enthusiast

Thanks for your feedback. Actually we do have a credit system in place. It will allow for members to get credits for lending ebooks. If members prefer to lend one ebook and borrow one from the same person that will work too. However the credit system will allow anyone to borrow ebooks whether or not they have something the other party is interested in or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP36 View Post

Last edited by eddiek; 01-20-2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:01 PM   #30
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
What about people who strip their DRM? Would they be able to lend the book out more than once as long as it was once at a time?
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote