Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 10:13 AM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by richorlin View Post
Once you root it and add Google Apps and the Marketplace, can you still use it as a Nook e-reader?
No

Just kidding. Yes, the original B&N eReader functionality remains. That was my biggest concern as well.

Oh, Welcome!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
To root or not to root
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 11:17 AM   #18
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Is it me or is the Apps Marketplace a little slim on apps?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Did you update to the newer version of the Market?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=872621
After looking at that I see some screwed up the working Market app. I'll pass for now. Will keep the newer Market .apk handy though should I change my mind down the road. Thank you for the info.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #20
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Is it me or is the Apps Marketplace a little slim on apps?
Apparently it doesn't display all of what's available. Someone asked for an explanation of this as well. If you do a search it'll say 700 apps, but will show a handful. I don't have an Android phone so I don't know how that works.
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #21
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Apparently it doesn't display all of what's available. Someone asked for an explanation of this as well. If you do a search it'll say 700 apps, but will show a handful. I don't have an Android phone so I don't know how that works.
It's a portrait mode bug. If you hold the nook in landscape mode, it displays them all (from what I hear). The newer Market doesn't have this problem. I think I'm going to wait before I mess with it though.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:18 PM   #22
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
It's a portrait mode bug. If you hold the nook in landscape mode, it displays them all (from what I hear). The newer Market doesn't have this problem. I think I'm going to wait before I mess with it though.
Thanks for the explanation. I'll pass on the info.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
Quote:
One of the caveats with this root is that the 'fingerprint' used for the Market is the Droid Eris running 2.1. The Market will filter apps that won't run on 2.1 so you don't really get full Froyo functionality or access to the Market...until next month when we get a B&N update...then we might have to flash back to original or wait and see if the update breaks the root.

Like Apple, I suspect that you'll have to flash back to original before the update then wait for the Devs to figure out how to root the 2.2 Nook Color, then we'll see lots more apps available.
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:29 PM   #24
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothejust View Post
One of the caveats with this root is that the 'fingerprint' used for the Market is the Droid Eris running 2.1. The Market will filter apps that won't run on 2.1 so you don't really get full Froyo functionality or access to the Market...until next month when we get a B&N update...then we might have to flash back to original or wait and see if the update breaks the root.

Like Apple, I suspect that you'll have to flash back to original before the update then wait for the Devs to figure out how to root the 2.2 Nook Color, then we'll see lots more apps available.
I enabled Market manually so I still have a generic fingerprint. I didn't do the optional thing which requires changing the fingerprint. Unless you're saying that the generic fingerprint with 2.1 is what it's filtering on.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
bilbothejust
Enthusiast
bilbothejust is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad -> Nook Color
Quote:
I enabled Market manually so I still have a generic fingerprint. I didn't do the optional thing which requires changing the fingerprint. Unless you're saying that the generic fingerprint with 2.1 is what it's filtering on.
That's what I'm thinking (that the AutoNook 0.8 script) sets up the fingerprint to 2.1 and the market filters from that. In any case there are so many things to choose from to keep you happy (IMO). Since the Nook is already 2.1 anyway, Froyo specific apps wouldn't run anyway (uh, I think).
bilbothejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 12:48 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbothejust View Post
That's what I'm thinking (that the AutoNook 0.8 script) sets up the fingerprint to 2.1 and the market filters from that. In any case there are so many things to choose from to keep you happy (IMO). Since the Nook is already 2.1 anyway, Froyo specific apps wouldn't run anyway (uh, I think).
Thank you. Yeah, I have plenty to keep me happy.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #27
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Guess who managed to successfully get gmail and the market on their Nook?

Doesn't look like gmail will auto sync. But honestly I was more worried about having the market. The Grinch That Stole Christmas is awesome on the Nook!
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:02 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Guess who managed to successfully get gmail and the market on their Nook?

Doesn't look like gmail will auto sync. But honestly I was more worried about having the market. The Grinch That Stole Christmas is awesome on the Nook!

With regard to Gmail, mine auto syncs. What could be the difference?
Old 12-15-2010, 03:09 PM   #29
French
Groupie
French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.French ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

With regard to Gmail, mine auto syncs. What could be the difference?
Hmmm...I had to manually sync it to get anything from after 2:30 today. But I'm still setting it up. It looks like it might not be able to sync all the labels I want, either. But I'll keep an eye on it. I might need to do another reboot and sync again manually and then go from there.

Can't wait to get some of my other paid apps on here!

Did you do the calendar yet?
French is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 03:14 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by French View Post
Did you do the calendar yet?
Glad you asked.

Calendar "works", but it won't sync my events. Not even an initial sync, and I don't see a sync button.

Under "My calendars" it has "US Holidays" and "myname@gmail.com" so it has the correct stuff. It retrieved the holidays, but not my events.