Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
New version 1.2.4 available

Attached you find the new version 1.2.4.

Here is what I changed:

- Now it's possible to set a bookmark in an ePub-file. An ePub-file opens automatically at the position of the bookmark.

- EPUBReader adds now a margin to each ePub-file.

- Margins and background-color of the ePub-content can now be changed via the preferences window. When you change the background-color, please reload your ePub-files. Otherwise the background-color of the TOC on the left side will be changed too.

- EPUBReader is now more fault tolerant concerning the content of the ePub-files. Now there are less ePub-files which can't be read.
For experts: when ncx-file was missing or an entry in manifest was missing, which was referenced in spine, the epub didn't open before.

Please let me know if you experience any problems and for the case you like the new features, I'm also very happy to hear from you .

I'll wait a bit until I upload this new version to the Mozilla website. The Mozilla reviewers are not so happen if you permanently upload new versions because they need to test it every time.
Attached Files
File Type: xpi epubreader_1_2_4.xpi (86.8 KB, 681 views)

Last edited by mikelv; 12-15-2009 at 04:06 PM.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Thanks

The margins make it much more readable. My only problem now is cleaning up the epubs so they are as good as the reader!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #3
cklammer
Zealot
cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cklammer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Centro, Acer Aspire One
Thank you so much!

What I love about this piece of kit is that it is so bloody blazing fast. More than 2100 ebooks inside and when I select the epub-lib it comes up within seconds - and that's on an ancient P4 2 Gig with equally ancient 40 gig PIDE hard disks and 2 MB (!) PCI graphics controller under win7 ...

What a great piece of software!
cklammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 AM   #4
johnnyS
johnnyS began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR
Some comments

Thanks for the new version.

Possibility to bookmark the place in publication is very handy.

But the usefulness of possibility to set background of the content pages is quite limited.

First, it is possible to set only background color, but not font color. It seems that setting of the background color and of the font color should go together.

Second, possibilities to choose color are quite limited. For example on the web is quite common to find the text consisting from dark gray font on the very light gray background. It is not possible to set such combination using EPUBReader's preferences.

Third, setting backgroung preferences for the content page should not make any difference in TOC pane, but after setting background for content page the bottom of TOC pane is also colored.

I also doubt that is reasonable to limit custom set margins to 50 pixels. What if I like to read in maximized browser window? - in this case the lines are too long to read comfortably. If not for the limit of 50 pixels, I would shorten the length of lines by setting very very big margins.

Despite these critical remarks, your add-on is amazing.
johnnyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Thanks for your feedback johnny!

Quote:
First, it is possible to set only background color, but not font color. It seems that setting of the background color and of the font color should go together.
Font color changing comes in next version.

Quote:
Second, possibilities to choose color are quite limited. For example on the web is quite common to find the text consisting from dark gray font on the very light gray background. It is not possible to set such combination using EPUBReader's preferences.
For color choosing I use a standard XUL element which is called "ColorPicker". It offers just the colors you see. In one of the next versions it will be possible to enter the hexcode of the color, so you can choose every possible color. I put this on the change list.

Quote:
Third, setting backgroung preferences for the content page should not make any difference in TOC pane, but after setting background for content page the bottom of TOC pane is also colored.
Yes, I know (I mentioned this in the release notes ). Please reload your ePubs. I had to do many changes in CSS, so this is unfortunately necessary.

Quote:
I also doubt that is reasonable to limit custom set margins to 50 pixels. What if I like to read in maximized browser window? - in this case the lines are too long to read comfortably. If not for the limit of 50 pixels, I would shorten the length of lines by setting very very big margins.
Ah okay, I'll put this on the change list.

Quote:
Despite these critical remarks, your add-on is amazing.
Great to hear !
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #6
zshep
Banned
zshep began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
nicee
zshep is offline   Reply With Quote