Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
Andrew Kaufman
Author/Suspense Thrillers
Andrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura aboutAndrew Kaufman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
Okay---I have to ask this question.

I have a confession to make: I haven't bought the new K3. I've had my K2 for several years now, and to be honest, I'm perfectly happy with it. But at the same time, I can't help but sometimes feel like I'm one of the last holdouts. Am I? Just wondering if there's anyone else out there like me.

Feeling kinda lonely cuz I can't talk K3.

Drew
Andrew Kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:11 AM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
My wife is perfectly content with her K2. Heck, she has that word game on her K3 that we cannot now get on K3 'cause it was yanked from distribution. Enjoy your K2 - it is a marvelous device.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I love my K3 but I also loved my K2 and was very happy with it. If you're happy with a product, it's harder to let go. The biggest improvement with the K3 for me is the screen which I think is easier to read. Don't feel you have to jump on the bandwagon if you're happy with what you've got.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:32 AM   #4
vega07
Enthusiast
vega07 is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 2
Trust me...you want the K3. The screen is serious improvement, actually night and day for me. I read much more comfortably and thus faster with the K3 versus the K2.
vega07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

i haven't hopped on the bandwagon mainly because the improvements seem minor to me. Plus, IMHO, everything (except the better screen, of course) should have been in a kindle 2 upgrade (even if they charged a little for it).
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 02:53 AM   #6
bob1xxx
Zealot
bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bob1xxx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle k3 and k2 and White Aluratek Libre Pro
Honestly (maybe it's my crappy eyes and I got a late gen k2) I don't see a huge difference in screen quality , but I like the more compact size, more page format and font options, its speedier, more storage, better web browser (not super important for me) etc.... . But if money was a big issue, I could happily live with my late generation K2 it one of the best e readers on the market I just really like the new compact size of the k3 it makes a take everywhere device for me and love to read the k2 for me was a bit bulky for casual carry (ie jean or sweat jacket pocket)
bob1xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:53 AM   #7
jimplasticguy
jimplasticguy began at the beginning.

Device: None
Drew,

To me, they are both great and it is going to come down to perceived value, or what is important to you. I just passed my K2 down to my wife and am using the K3 now with no complaints other than waiting for aftermarket covers to hit the street in force. Here are my thoughts on the things that are important to me.

Function - They are very similar. Page turns are noticeably faster on the K3. To my tired eyes, the readability, specifically contrast is better on the K3.
Without a case, I am finding the page turn buttons just a bit small for comfort, and one handed reading not quite as comfortable, but I am getting in a groove with it and will probably not notice in another week.
The D-Pad is just a bit small for me, and I find myself trying to use a thumb nail to acurately navigate with it. I think that for some, like those using the Verse Jump bible mentioned in other threads, the lack of number keys might be an issue. I am OK with or without them.
Verdict on function - Slight edge to K3 if reading performance is most important. Slight edge to K2 if mechanical function and ergonomics are more important.

Design quality - the jury is out on this, but I have some concerns. There is a fine ballance between cost and quality, while you are fighting to keep a few pennies margin and crush the competition, creating a new standard. Apple Ipod is the perfect analogy for me. Here are my early thoughts.

The K3 is very light, and some of this may come at the expense of structural integrity. The plastic wall-thickness appears to have been thinned down and cored out significantly. It just "feels" cheaper. In consumer goods discussions, plastic frequently gets a bad rap. Plastic can cost 40 cents per pound for reprocessed polypropylene, or more than 50 dollars a pound for high end compounds using PEEK, etc. Additionally, if you take out half of the mass, you just cut your material cost in half. One must be very careful...

I just saw a thread with someone mentioning creaking, etc. I have also noticed creaks and pops when it is squeezed a bit too hard. I will not clip my Mighty Bright directly to it.

On the other side, the K2 reminds me of Ipod construction. I perceive it to be quality plastic materials, and conservative part design. Mine gets bumped around alot. Another good analogy is business vs. consumer grade notebooks. My business notebook is a Dell Latitude 4300. Very solid. I am typing this on my personal notebook, a Dell M1330. Great horsepower, but much more cheap feeling and parts are coming loose and creaking quite a bit.

I don't know what is up with the keys on the K3, but it feels like some kind of surface painted on an elastomer. I think it will rub off and others are saying that it may be already.

On design quality and construction - my perception is that the edge will go to K2. Time will tell. The K3 feels disposable to me. Protect it.

Bells and whistles - With the firmware upgrades to the K2, they function much the same, but this combined wifi and 3G is really a nice combo. I know that others have had a problem, but with the K3 connected to my home network, it is just sipping battery juice. I give an edge to K3 on this measure.

Those are my quick, morning coffee thoughts. If you want to dip a toe in the water, the wi-fi only version is so inexpensive, that you can pick it up and see which you like better, passing one down to a family member or someone who doesn't have money for one. I know that inexpensive is a relative thing, so it is up to you.

Jim
jimplasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have been using kindle for pc since last December and finally ordered and got the K3 WIFI this week I love the K3 and I wonder what took me so long. But I have to say that kindle for pc on a netbook worked just find.
I guess what I am saying is if what you have works for you then why spend the money if all you are doing is getting a newer model.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

For me, the improved screen was the worthwhile factor. However, I thought about it for a bit, because I had the Kindle 2 US (Sprint wireless). AT&T has only roaming coverage where I live and no 3G anywhere nearby, so I knew that a Kindle 3 would mean no 3G internet. I decided I would likely be near hotspots anyway, and went with the wifi. But if you have a Kindle 2 US, and Sprint happens to provides better 3G coverage in your area, that's something you can't have with a Kindle 3.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
I have the KDX, the K2 and the K3 and it is an absolutly FACT that the screen of the K3 is the best one. There might be other advantages like WLAN, colour of the frame in dark grey or the weight and measures but that are all details which could not be your personal priority. BUT the screen should be you priority cause it is the essential part of the reader.

So yes you can tell yourself all the rational facts that the K2 is as good as the K3 and it won't be necessesary to upgrade and all the other blahblah blah. But i have to tell you if i compare the K2 to the K3 here in front of me on the desk and see the BIG difference in readability caused by the screen i have to say the K3 is one of the best upgrades you can do. Its not that the K2 is not good but the K3 beats it when it comes to the screen very very veeerrryyy badly ...
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:59 AM   #11
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I had a K1 until the DXG came out. I was pained during the first months of the K2 release but that went away, only to return when collections came out and was not available for the K1. (sigh)
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Love my K2. I've seen no improvements that would entice me to upgrade at this point.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kaufman View Post
I have a confession to make: I haven't bought the new K3. I've had my K2 for several years now, and to be honest, I'm perfectly happy with it. But at the same time, I can't help but sometimes feel like I'm one of the last holdouts. Am I? Just wondering if there's anyone else out there like me.

Feeling kinda lonely cuz I can't talk K3. (

Drew
Last holdouts?? I have the K1 and just upgradfed. I've been perfectly happy with my K1 but the difference between that the the K3 is huge. Since the K1 has only been out for 3 years..........I'm thinking you haven't had your K2 for "several years"?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #14
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimplasticguy View Post

Design quality - the jury is out on this, but I have some concerns. There is a fine ballance between cost and quality, while you are fighting to keep a few pennies margin and crush the competition, creating a new standard. Apple Ipod is the perfect analogy for me. Here are my early thoughts.

The K3 is very light, and some of this may come at the expense of structural integrity. The plastic wall-thickness appears to have been thinned down and cored out significantly. It just "feels" cheaper. In consumer goods discussions, plastic frequently gets a bad rap. Plastic can cost 40 cents per pound for reprocessed polypropylene, or more than 50 dollars a pound for high end compounds using PEEK, etc. Additionally, if you take out half of the mass, you just cut your material cost in half. One must be very careful...

I just saw a thread with someone mentioning creaking, etc. I have also noticed creaks and pops when it is squeezed a bit too hard. I will not clip my Mighty Bright directly to it.
I don't know what is up with the keys on the K3, but it feels like some kind of surface painted on an elastomer. I think it will rub off and others are saying that it may be already.

On design quality and construction - my perception is that the edge will go to K2. Time will tell. The K3 feels disposable to me. Protect it
Jim
These comments by Jim, and the threads I, too, have read about the lettering, creaking, loose plastic and rattling of the Kindle 3 do concern me about the lack of QC and product oversight by Amazon. Still, not everyone is having these problems with their Kindle 3...but then the device hasn't even been in use for a month as yet. Amazon's CS seems to be very good so devices with major problems are replaced quickly, but if the device itself is shoddily made in order to keep the price down, seems that more problems with design quality are bound to crop up.

Drew - my partner has a Kindle 2. She has no intention of upgrading to the Kindle 3, partly because she just got the eReader in the spring of this year, but mostly because she is very happy with the Kindle 2 and sees no need to upgrade. Of course, when I get my Kindle 3.....

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

K2 here and quite happy with it, although I would like wifi capabilities. Maybe an upgrade one day, but I may wait to see what else comes in the K4.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote