Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
How do you enable the dictionary?

My dictionary function is disabled. I have read this on the forum, but I don't know how to change it:

If you set a language other than “English” for “Menu Language” at the initial setting, the dictionary function becomes disabled. To enable a dictionary, set either “New Oxford American Dictionary” or “Oxford Dictionary of English” in the “Dictionary” setting.

Anyone have any idea how to set it so that I can enable this feature?
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
Jan J
Enthusiast
Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS600
Have you checked in the Advanced settings? To get to Settings from the Home page click on "More". Go to Settings and press on Advanced settings and then on Dictionary. You should see the choices there. Press on your chosen dictionary. Hope this helps.
Jan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
As far as I understood the manual, if you have set another menu language than english, the dictionary will be disabled. Meaning that you cannot use this feature at all if you use another menu languag.
Try to change the menu language to English first and then set the desired dictionary. This is how I interpret the manual.
I never tried another language than English and the dictionary just works.

I assume that Sony assumes that if you haven't set English as menu language, you won't (be able to) read english literature. Therefor there's no need for the dictionary to function as only English dictionaries are available.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #4
sphinx666
sphinx666 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post
Have you checked in the Advanced settings? To get to Settings from the Home page click on "More". Go to Settings and press on Advanced settings and then on Dictionary. You should see the choices there. Press on your chosen dictionary. Hope this helps.
Thanks! I had never noticed the "More" box on the home page. That worked.

Cheers
sphinx666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Jan J
Enthusiast
Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jan J has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx666 View Post
Thanks! I had never noticed the "More" box on the home page. That worked.

Cheers
Great! I use mine so much and enjoy that feature tremendously. Happy it worked for you!
Jan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert