Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM   #1
shiffy
shiffy doesn't littershiffy doesn't litter

Device: DR800SG
DR800SG - NY Times / fonts on BN books

Hi there --

Received my DR800SG yesterday and love the screen and feel of the device. But, a couple of issues that I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing.

1) I can download and purchase books from Barnes and Noble, but for some reason can't download the NY Times from the device (and run into a DRM issue if I download it from the computer). Neither Irex nor B&N knew why, but they are supposed to get back to me. Anyone else experience that?

2) On most books, I can adjust the fonts, but cannot do so with the Barnes and Noble books that came with the device, as well as with 1 book I purchased from them. Seems odd that this feature would be missing from the ebooks that come from B&N, but the option is missing from my menu in those books. Anyone have a similar experience or have any insight?

Thanks.
shiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
1) I've not seen it, but I've mostly given up on the stuff packaged by the stores. They don't have the periodicals I want, and Newspaper Direct feels... sparse for my local paper. I've just been creating my own epubs from feeds. I need to tweak my HTML templates for the iRex (seems to get touchy if a link is too small like if you have a newspaper from Sony's store, which I used to base my own stuff on).

2) I've noticed that the PDB support is VERY barebones in the iRex. A big chunk of B&N is still selling PDB, and so that has an effect.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
shiffy

Thanks. I think all the books that I lost the ability to adjust the fonts on were in fact pdbs. Is there any way to adjust the fonts of a pdb file on my computer, without affecting the drm for the file I purchased? Also, do you know if there is any way to tell if a book from B&N is a pdb rather than an epub before making a purchase? I looked on the site, but couldn't find that info.

Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The info isn't on the B&N site, unfortunately... even the samples can be deceptive.

Dunno if PDBs even have HTML inside them, but if they are DRM'd, the HTML would be locked up so you couldn't edit it.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #5
MobileTechReview
eBook Reader Junkie
MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.MobileTechReview has met Morla.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
B&N states that their periodicals are only compatible with the nook, at least for now. I don't know why their rep couldn't tell you that when it says so on their website . You can't even open the NY Times or any other periodical on your desktop using Adobe Digital Editions.
MobileTechReview is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2010, 10:41 AM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Well, that answers my question about magazine subscriptions (through B&N) on the DR800SG. So that's the (real) reason for having PressDisplay on the device. Darn, that along with no annotation and dictionary takes it off my list of potentials.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #7
shiffy

Looks like it's off my list -- and going back to Best Buy -- too.

Before I bought I expressly asked Irex customer service if the NY Times would be supported, they said yes and told me it would be through LibreDigital. They still seem to say that it can be had through LibreDigital, but won't give me any information on how to obtain it from them. They also have informed me that there's not going to be a LibreDigital store on the device itself -- which seems to contradict the joint press release that was issued saying that newspapers and periodicals would be available wireless through the deal to allow LibreDigital content on the DR800SG. Oh well, the hardware was pretty nice, but they need to get their act together.

For whatever it's worth, in their last e-mail to me, they did state that the "scribble" annotation feature would be made available on the device in the next software update.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
NewspaperDirect certainly doesn't have the New York Times. I checked out LibreDigital and is it me or they only present the paper in its original format and all you can do is zoom in and pan around? Panning is a big no-no with e-ink. At least with NewspaperDirect, they offer a reflowed view of each article.

Another confusing matter is this image at http://www.irexreader.com/:

It shows the Wall Street Journal but NewspaperDirect only has the Asia and Europe version and LibreDigital only has the Asia version. So where did that image come from? Something is fishy...
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 05:07 PM   #9
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Bringing you thousands and thousands of books, newspapers, and magazines, IREX is the next generation of eReading.
Where is the magazine content coming from?
Old 02-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Where is the magazine content coming from?
On NewspaperDirect, a quick peak shows great magazines like Modern Healthcare and Directions Magazine (travel related?).
Old 02-24-2010, 05:16 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant

Quite interesting for the US market with no access to the New York Times or Wall Street Journal (US edition). Some people may find calibre feeds acceptable.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
On NewspaperDirect, a quick peak shows great magazines like Modern Healthcare and Directions Magazine (travel related?).
How do you know what publications are available without buying the device. Can you see a list of available magazines online, like you can for newspapers (pressdisplay.com)?

Last edited by SCION; 02-24-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:10 PM   #13
badbob001
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
How do you know what publications are available without buying the device. Can you see a list of available magazines online, like you can for newspapers (pressdisplay.com)?
You check it out at http://ebookmall.irexreader.com. To go to exact same page as on the IREX, download Google's chrome browser and go to the above link. The site redirects you to different views depending on what browser you are using and apparently, it thinks the chrome browser is the one on the dr800.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant

Thanks for taking the time!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
shiffy

Well, I figured out that the New York Times from Sony's reader store can work with the DR800SG. I actually find that it's easier to navigate than the papers from Newspapersdirect. The only drawback is that the paper has to be loaded via a computer, not directly via the device. That's not a dealbreaker for me -- as it is relatively easy to do -- so I've changed my mind once again and will keep the DR800SG. It is bizarre, however, that I can now download the Times from the Sony store and load it onto my device, but can't get it to work with the B&N store that is set up to work with the device. Still, I hope the ability to do it all wirelessly is worked out.