Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-30-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
december
Nameless Being

More of Guy Gavriel Kay's backlist now available

The good news: It's been a long wait, but Tigana and and (2 of 3?) of the Fionavar Tapestry books were finally released for Kindle yesterday!

Tigana
The Wandering Fire
The Darkest Road

The bad news: The Summer Tree is still missing in action?

Also - holy moly, what is Penguin thinking?! $17 pricing for the Tigana ebook is utterly absurd - and from the preview, it doesn't even look like the "Anniversary" edition comes with any extra content at all. Amazing.
Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the "Deals and Resources" forum.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
Also - holy moly, what is Penguin thinking?! $17 pricing for the Tigana ebook is utterly absurd - and from the preview, it doesn't even look like the "Anniversary" edition comes with any extra content at all. Amazing.
I was so tired of telling people to read this book and getting back; "but there's no ebook available."

At least it's available now, but ... DAMN! $17??

This belongs in the "Highway Robbery" forum.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I'll have to check the uk availability
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:10 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I was so tired of telling people to read this book and getting back; "but there's no ebook available."

At least it's available now, but ... DAMN! $17??

This belongs in the "Highway Robbery" forum.
Strange. It shows as $9.89 for me.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I'm sure the usual geo-hoobey-whatey, IP-based pricing silliness still applies. $16.95 is the price people with a U.S. IP address are seeing. Apparently there are still some "new" paperbacks still floating around priced at about $18. Penguin doesn't want to devalue those 15 or so remaining pbooks by selling the ebook too cheaply.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #7
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
That is perhaps the UK HarperCollins edition? (which has been available as an ebook outside the US for 3-4 years.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:40 AM   #8
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by december View Post
The good news: It's been a long wait, but Tigana and and (2 of 3?) of the Fionavar Tapestry books were finally released for Kindle yesterday!

Tigana
The Wandering Fire
The Darkest Road

The bad news: The Summer Tree is still missing in action?

I would assume that the Summer Tree will show up in the next couple of days. Probably just a mix up of some sort or another. I need to write a note to myself to check again in a week or so.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:44 AM   #9
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Tigana's price makes me so mad! This is back catalog, not a new release in hot demand. This makes no one happy including Penguin who doesn't understand the supply-demand curve.

There are mass market paperbacks around priced at $9-10 plus shipping.

Great writer though. I've read other of his novels. I never got around to Tigana, maybe I will AFTER THE PRICE BECOMES REASONABLE.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:45 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
In all my vast travels from the bedroom to the bathroom and back again, I have yet to read a book by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Which one should I read first?

(At one time - many years ago - I owned his first fantasy novel, but I never read it and so decided to get rid of it.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
That is perhaps the UK HarperCollins edition? (which has been available as an ebook outside the US for 3-4 years.)
Yup, that's the HarperCollins edition. Mea culpa.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
In all my vast travels from the bedroom to the bathroom and back again, I have yet to read a book by Guy Gavriel Kay.

Which one should I read first?
I'd suggest either "The Lions of Al-Rassan" or "Ysabel".
Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 AM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd suggest either "The Lions of Al-Rassan" or "Ysabel".

Thanks, Harry.

I'll pick up whichever one is the cheapest (and available).
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 10:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thanks, Harry.

I'll pick up whichever one is the cheapest (and available).
To be honest, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of his books - they're all good. The reason I suggested those two is that they're standalone novels, rather than being in a series.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To be honest, I don't really think you can go wrong with any of his books - they're all good. The reason I suggested those two is that they're standalone novels, rather than being in a series.
While mostly true ... keep in mind, though, that all his books (stand-alone or series) are in some way connected though the Fionavar (or first) universe. But yes. From a straight-up story-telling perspective, those books (and Tigana) are "stand alone" stories. But if you know they're there, the some times quite-subtle (and some times not-so-subtle) Fionavar connections are fun to try and spot. At least for me they are.