Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 05:49 AM   #1
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Sony Tablet P

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1034
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
1. I hate you. (But, not really, I'm just jealous).
2. I want so badly to get my grubby mitts on one of those, I've been wanting to see the 2-screens in action first hand.
3. Have you watched any video on it?
4. Does it have the same kind of deal that the Kyocera Echo had where you can have one screen be the keyboard and the other be the "monitor" so to speak?
5. I still (don't really) hate you.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
2. I want so badly to get my grubby mitts on one of those, I've been wanting to see the 2-screens in action first hand.
4. Does it have the same kind of deal that the Kyocera Echo had where you can have one screen be the keyboard and the other be the "monitor" so to speak?
Just added some (low quality) snapshots to the original thread.
Re. your questions:
1.) Fine by me ;-) My gadget loves me ;-)
2.) Was checking such units out for years myself. Last was a Toshiba Libretto. Nice enough, but not quite there yet (Windows overload).
3.) Yes. Sony claims an especially dark screen. I don't know, whether it's really special, but it's certainly good enough. But quite frankly, I don't see much of a difference between the various tablets. On such small screens, everything looks great. Didn't try TV yet, though.
4.) Yes, see the pics I've just added to the original thread.
5.) Still fine by me ;-)
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Great review thx. The Sony P tablet was something I was very interested in. I like the portability aspect yet having the large screen. I just don't know if I can get past the big crease in the middle of the screen.

I belive the split screen software is unique to SONY. I know the Kyosera Echo had a lot of custom code written for the split screen.

Quote:
I'm not there yet but if he says he has a Galaxy Note or Galaxy Nexus I'll be right there with you buddy.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I agree on points 1 and 5!

Oh and I forget to ask my question...

Is it possible to do one thing on screen 1 and another on screen 2? (for example, watch a movie on 1 and have a browser with IMDB open in the second?)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post

Is it possible to do one thing on screen 1 and another on screen 2? (for example, watch a movie on 1 and have a browser with IMDB open in the second?)
If you hack Linux, WebOS, or Windows 8 onto the device, then it could do that! No real multitasking in Android or iOS.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:

Exactly my thought: This would be it = the perfect multitasking.
So far, I haven't found a way to do so.
Of course there are apps, which use both screens for separate tasks, for example movie on display 1 and controls on display 2. But it's still within the very same app.
So, from all i know so far, the answer seems to be: No way to use 2 apps in parallel, one on each screen.
But I'm pretty sure, the scene already thinks about that. Question will be, whether it's powerful enough to handle "real" multitasking of 2 apps.

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-24-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Great review thx. The Sony P tablet was something I was very interested in. I like the portability aspect yet having the large screen. I just don't know if I can get past the big crease in the middle of the screen.

I belive the split screen software is unique to SONY. I know the Kyosera Echo had a lot of custom code written for the split screen.

I'm not there yet but if he says he has a Galaxy Note or Galaxy Nexus I'll be right there with you buddy.
Hmmmm. Now I really think about buying a Galaxy Note
Not really. I'm not into any kind of phones, basically the only type of gadget I don't need. I thought about the Samsung Player, though. But for now, I'm absolutely fine with iPod touch.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

BTW: You've asked about "Playstation certified" of Sony Tablet S in some other thread.
Sony Tablet P is "Playstation certified" as well.
Exactly the same as Sony XPERIA Play.
There's an original Sony emulator, running PSOne titles. It comes with a single game preinstalled, you can buy about 10 additional titles from Sony.
You can add your own PSOne games easily to that emulator and they all run fine.
On XPERIA Play, I use the physical Playstation-like keyboard. On the tablets, you have to use on-screen controls. At least, given the 2 screens, on Tablet P those onscreen controls don't cover the graphics. But it's still painful, similar to the same bad experience (at least for me) as on iPhone.
I simply wouldn't play any Playstation title (most of them, let's admit it, are action-driven games) with touchscreen controls. But technically, it works perfectly. (Of course, you can do the same on PSP for example for years now).
Old 11-24-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I thought about the Samsung Player, though. But for now, I'm absolutely fine with iPod touch.
I ordered two Galaxy Players today (4" & 5") to replace my iPod touch 4. Not sure which one I'll keep.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 04:40 PM   #11
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I ordered two Galaxy Players today (4" & 5") to replace my iPod touch 4. Not sure which one I'll keep.
Quite frankly, I'm not a fan of this "test and send back" mentality.
I always ask myself: How many people actually did hold my gadget in hands before me? Did I maybe buy a kind of "pre-owned" gadget?

Personally, I've only sent a gadget back once. In this particular case, the successor product was available for an even lower price the very same day I've ordered the "outdated" one.

I don't even send products back I don't like (actually, this would be the case for maybe 30% to 50% of my gadgets. Acer Iconia and Asus EeePad Transformer for example I haven't used even once, after testing them the very first day. And I find the rate of low quality and disappointing products gets bigger in an alarming rate).
I'm more of a "I decided for it, I stick to it (if it's without technical defects of course)" kind of guy.

I'd even say, some failure once in a while makes the hits even more appealing. But to each his own...

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-25-2011 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:39 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I always ask myself: How many people actually did hold my gadget in hands before me? Did I maybe buy a kind of "pre-owned" gadget?
I'm not opening either one. I'll do in store comparisons. I ordered both because these were Black Friday deals and by the time I can actually get to a store to compare them, the sale will be over and I'd have to pay full price then.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:58 AM   #13
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I'm not opening either one. I'll do in store comparisons. I ordered both because these were Black Friday deals and by the time I can actually get to a store to compare them, the sale will be over and I'd have to pay full price then.
I see. This I can understand.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:26 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I think it's something really American. I'm not sure about the British, but you won't see a lot of main-land Europeans do that.

It's also one reason why I still haven't found a replacement for my PDA. Too afraid I'll be dissapointed and I simply won't send something back because it isn't as I envisioned it... The Flyer I only bought after I've seen and hold on to it at a local Saturn shop...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:43 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I think it's something really American. I'm not sure about the British, but you won't see a lot of main-land Europeans do that.
I'm not a fan of it either and don't know anyone who does it.