Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 06:30 AM   #1
johnbajer
johnbajer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 900
Post Doc to Epub convertion problems

though I can open and see my ebook in .doc, when i try to convert i to Epub, it tells the following:

Could not convert 1 0f 1 books, because no suitable source format was found.

what can i do?
johnbajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbajer View Post
though I can open and see my ebook in .doc, when i try to convert i to Epub, it tells the following:

Could not convert 1 0f 1 books, because no suitable source format was found.

what can i do?
Calibre does not support .doc files. Open the doc file in Word and save it as filtered html. I have heard some folks say calibre converts some doc files but those files are really rtf files with the wrong extension.

Update: If you have a bunch of doc files this thread explains how to do batch conversions with free tools. Specifically check out posts 23, 49 and 56.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 06-04-2010 at 06:54 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #3
johnbajer
johnbajer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 900
thanks, bu the problem is that the files have been classified by calibre, so they are not in the same folder. could you tell me of any windows program what does tat conversion on several sub directories?
johnbajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbajer View Post
thanks, bu the problem is that the files have been classified by calibre, so they are not in the same folder. could you tell me of any windows program what does tat conversion on several sub directories?
I do not.

But, you could select all of those books and use the Save to disk feature.

1. If you already have metadata for these books first go to Preferences - Add/Save - Saving books tab and ensure that the following are checked.

Save cover separately
Update metadata in saved copy
Save metadata in OPF file

2. Then use the Save to disk in a single directory feature.

3. Once in a single directory convert them using the info from previous post.

4. Ensure the If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically option is checked under Preferences - Add/Save - Adding books tab.

5. Then readd them using the add books from a single directory feature.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I do not.

But, you could select all of those books and use the Save to disk feature.

1. If you already have metadata for these books first go to Preferences - Add/Save - Saving books tab and ensure that the following are checked.

Save cover separately
Update metadata in saved copy
Save metadata in OPF file

2. Then use the Save to disk in a single directory feature.

3. Once in a single directory convert them using the info from previous post.

4. Ensure the If books with similar titles and authors found, merge the new files automatically option is checked under Preferences - Add/Save - Adding books tab.

5. Then readd them using the add books from a single directory feature.

I hope this helps.
Another way to ADD or Update an existing format.
Open the Metadata editor and
drag your book to the formats area (will replace existing, if there).
You can also drag a new cover onto the default book or old cover.
Save
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Another way to ADD or Update an existing format.
Open the Metadata editor and
drag your book to the formats area (will replace existing, if there).
You can also drag a new cover onto the default book or old cover.
Save
This is good info!

The OP was trying to convert an apparently large amount of .doc files. What I suggested hopefully took advantage of batch processing to pull out all doc files, convert the whole bunch at one time and return them to calibre in one fell swoop.

Again thanks for adding this info, often I miss the small things you can do one book at a time which is how I operate most of the time.

Tags
convertion, doc, epub