Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 01:39 PM   #31
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
I owe you an apology... I was replying to your comment, but the "that" I was referring to was the linked article. I can easily see how you got that impression that I meant your comment.

You read exactly what I posted, but what I wrote was poorly phrased.

-JPB
Thank you!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #32
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Oh, please. It's trivial to fake a normal URL if someone wants to dupe you:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2009/12/18/amazon-kindle-sets-record-e-reader-race-is-over/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak
If you read that without any knowledge of the background, it comes across as 'the two newcomers clearly didn't have enough know-how to have enough stock...'
Keeping in mind that again, I don't particularly agree with the article:

I don't think that's what the article is suggesting at all. They're saying that B&N and Sony are missing a critical sales window, while Amazon has enough stock to exploit the hype / interest during the time of year where a lot of product is sold. (Plus Sony isn't a "newcomer," it preceded Amazon in this market.) I.e. he's focusing on the "missed opportunity," not manufacturing skills.

Thus, the real question is whether or not this holiday season will be critical in terms of determining long-term market share. And while Amazon can say "we're selling more Kindles than ever," without hard numbers it's very difficult to determine the true status of this horse race....
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 02:28 PM   #33
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
I don't think that's what the article is suggesting at all. They're saying that B&N and Sony are missing a critical sales window, while Amazon has enough stock to exploit the hype / interest during the time of year where a lot of product is sold. (Plus Sony isn't a "newcomer," it preceded Amazon in this market.) I.e. he's focusing on the "missed opportunity," not manufacturing skills.
While Sony's had a few previous readers and we know about, the article clearly implies that Sony is a newbie in the ereader market by closely coupling 'this year Sony released' to 'Barnes & Noble entered the market'

Add in 'Meanwhile, Amazon, an old pro in this market,' which is clearly meant to imply that they know what they're doing and obviously have had no supply problems of their own during past holidays, despite the fact that the DX now has a 4-to-6 week shipping delay.

If all the article did was say that Sony ad B&N were missing an important sales window, it would be fine, but the article does more than that: it implies that the newcomers are incompetent and the All-Perfect Amazon has its act together - like always.

The line that Amazon 'managed its supply chain well and can continue to fulfill' implies that it always has done so, because, well... they're the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Thus, the real question is whether or not this holiday season will be critical in terms of determining long-term market share. And while Amazon can say "we're selling more Kindles than ever," without hard numbers it's very difficult to determine the true status of this horse race....
Every year is always portrayed 'critical' in any market, so I don't think that will be likely to be resolved this year, but I've maintained almost from the beginning that if Amazon was so handily beating its competition, it wouldn't be afraid to release numbers to back up the claims.

They are obviously banking (not unreasonably) that by pounding home the party line that "we're the biggest, we're the best, we out-sell'em all" without proof that they will do so at some point buy discouraging purchases of other units.

The "if you build it, they will come" school of hype.

Last edited by Dahak; 12-20-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: changed 'that' to 'about'
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #34
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Well it's the perfect christmas gift so no suprises here. It's especially great for older relatives, the amount of mothers/fathers and grandparents receiving these this year from tech savvy kids must be huge.

I've already bought my mom one and she LOVES it. More readers on ebook devices means more market share, all the better for the technology!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 05:55 PM   #35
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahak View Post
While Sony's had a few previous readers and we know about, the article clearly implies that Sony is a newbie in the ereader market by closely coupling 'this year Sony released' to 'Barnes & Noble entered the market'...
No, it doesn't. I concur the author glossing over previous supply issues, but again that's because manufacturing prowess is not the point of the article. You're just reading way too much into a very brief article, written by some random financial blogger who rarely even covers the publishing industry.

As to Amazon's press releases, they aren't doing anything different from any other competitor. No one is releasing numbers, and everyone is spinning whatever news, information, marketing and PR as they can to their advantage.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-20-2009, 10:44 PM   #36
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Amazon wouldn't lie
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #37
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Nobody's saying anyone's lying. They're saying that this article looks like shilling for Amazon (and I agree, it does), and that "more than" is pretty useless unless you have some idea of what they sold before and now...which we don't. Heck, is there any sales data for a reader out there?

It's hardly unique behaviour by a long way, but it is PR puffery.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:56 AM   #38
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
I think the most current and relevant statistic published to date remians the Wired interview in October where Bezos claims 48% of sales of books where Kindle and paper versions exist are Kindle sales.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...tional-kindle/

Annoying as the original article is for all the reasons above, I bet Amazon have shipped boat loads of Kindles in the past couple of months. Still haven't seen one in the UK, and Sonys are getting less rare on the commuter trains these days

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote