Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-05-2018, 11:57 AM   #1
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Venice - Historical Novels? Novels?

Dear All,

I'm thinking of a short trip to Venice later this year: my first visit. Can anyone recommend some fiction that would help me understand what I'm seeing?

I've already read Donna Leon, who I quite like, but any other recommendations would be welcome.

Thank you,

Nabeel
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 12:15 AM   #2
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
Dear All,

I'm thinking of a short trip to Venice later this year: my first visit. Can anyone recommend some fiction that would help me understand what I'm seeing?

I've already read Donna Leon, who I quite like, but any other recommendations would be welcome.

Thank you,

Nabeel
Two books immediately spring in the mind. One is One Summer in Venice by Nicky Pellegrino. An enjoyable book that transports the reader to present day Venice. This is a story of a family restaurant owner in London who visits Venice. She describes the day-to-day city, as she shops for food, makes friends, ambles down the narrow streets and ponders her life back in England.

Another is Dead Lagoon by Michael Dibdin. Aurelio Zen returns to his native Venice, to investigate the disappearance of a rich American who has been living in the city. He is not officially working the case, he is just doing so as a favour, but soon he uncovers details he has no choice but to pursue. An excellent way to explore the city, as Zen navigates the city of his birth you see the dark and the light side of Venice, its beauty and its eeriness.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Don't Look Now by Daphne du Maurier
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:37 AM   #4
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just uploaded on Gutenberg USA is a book on literary Venice. Ancient, but illustrated.

Laurence Hutton: Literary Landmarks of Venice.

(I go with the Dibden book--good read and the author knows his Venice.)
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #5
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Miss Garnet's Angel by Salley Vickers.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #6
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Sampling all these. I have plans to visit Venice too.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote