Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Will Kindle Touch ever get another update?

Here's my wish list:
- fix the line spacing issues with KF8
- add fixed-layout support for KF8 (I think KT is the only-KF8 supporting device/app that doesn't have this)
- add whispersync for voice support to the audible player (again, it's the only W4V holdout, not considering maybe Audible for Windows Phone & Blackberry)
- update home screen to match Paperwhite (cover view, 'recent' sort order for cloud items, etc.)

I have 3 KT's linked to my account (family members), and while my primary device is a PW, I would like to see KT get some update love. It's a great device, and I expect mine can serve as a backup or loaner device for quite awhile yet. As it is, it feels a little 'abandoned' by Amazon in what should be its 'golden years'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
It's always possible, but in general once they stop selling a device they also stop updating it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 AM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
It is really silly though not to update it. Even the Paperwhite FW is still riddled with KT code and to make sure it is running on a PW instead of a KT. Almost as if the latest FW on the PW is still KT compatible. Amazon did not even bother to delete the audio support. It is still there, just deactivated. The X server is even complaining that it cannot start sound up on the PW.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
murphycc
murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Amazon probably wants KT owners to go out and buy the PW if they want a better reading experience, rather than not spending money and sticking with the KT.

I would love to see another firmware update for the KT as well, but I'm guessing there won't be any unless it's a security issue.
murphycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
CMIIW, but AFAIK, even the Kindle 3 got an update to support KF8. So you never know. But asking about whether the Kindle Touch will ever get an update in this forum is like asking us if your next plane will land on time.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The difference is the Kindle Keyboard is still sold by Amazon, whereas the Touch is no longer available.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
The difference is the Kindle Keyboard is still sold by Amazon, whereas the Touch is no longer available.
Good point.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Smile

A new Kindle Touch software update was just released. Information can be found at Amazon here: Kindle Touch Software Update 5.3.2.

This update includes the following new features:
  • A new user interface
  • Whispersync for Voice
  • Enhanced Parental Controls
  • Book Covers
  • Time-to-Read
  • Recommended Content
  • Enhanced book samples
  • Navigate graphic novels, and comics
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Who ever thought, right? Very happy to see this update with time to read and book covers. Good job, Amazon.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
murphycc
murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murphycc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
that's impressive! I really didn't think they would work on KT any more.
murphycc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Good point.
But ultimately, wrong
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #12
dukesilver
Connoisseur
dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dukesilver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Wow, so is it safe to update if I'm jailbroken? I primarily jailbroke to get the time to read feature. So I'm OK if I lose jailbreak.

EDIT: I just uninstalled all the hacks I had, and installed the official update. so far so good.

Last edited by dukesilver; 01-08-2013 at 09:06 PM.
dukesilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 PM   #13
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Wonder when PW gets 5.3.2 - unless the changes from 5.3.1-5.3.2 only updated the code relevant for KT.

Hey ixtab, new challenge to get your jailbreak and jbpatch ported - with any luck it will stay same as for PW. (one can hope )
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #14
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Hey, did I call it, or what? Amazon comes through again! And less than a week from my 'request'!

It feels brand new again. Magic.

And yup, Recent order on the Cloud items. My finger keeps reaching for a Home icon at upper left (oh yeah, it's that button down there...).

What I'm especially excited about is that since KT and PW are basically running the same version, KT will continue to get updates as PW does. Very smart, Amazon.

I'm sorry I ever doubted Amazon would do this. They really are the best. Now I'm trying to decide if it was cruel of them not to announce they were working on this update, or just wickedly delightful to drop it on us like this. Both, I guess.

I'm feeling lucky. Maybe I'll start a thread for concerning prospects for a Fire 1g update, which is sure to provoke one. Fire 1g should be upgradeable to match Fire 2g. Actually would make it easier for Amazon to support it (and for developers) if all Fires run the same Android version. It would definitely give mine new life, with Immersion Reading and TTS. We might have to wait until after the announced accessibility update for the Fires is ready to deploy ('early 2013' is what they said). Then Fire 1g would be accessible also.

Last edited by tomsem; 01-08-2013 at 11:26 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote