Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-13-2013, 04:02 AM   #1516
mezzolux
mezzolux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... And JBPatch can add a few other great features... like... hyphenation (I can't help it - that still is the single number one killer feature for me, personally. The default layout is simply horrible without hyphenation, especially for languages with a lot of long words, like german).

I realize that Amazon is also adding desirable features to their new FW releases. But at the same time, they also make it prohibitively difficult to enhance them. So it's your choice in the end - go with a new firmware, or stay with an old one that JBPatch supports.
I 2nd that 100%.
Hyphenation IS the killer feature (german here as well) and 5.3.4 does what it's supposed to do. So I'll definitely stay with 5.3.4 until Amazon/Lab126 learns how to write a proper FW. I absolutely can't understand why hyphenation isn't implemented in the FW anyway. It is effin essential for a smooth reading experience.
mezzolux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 AM   #1517
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Quote:
Well, ok.

After thinking back and forth about this, I came to the following conclusion:

First and foremost, because this is the only thing that most of the folks asking are interested in anyway: I don't have the time or energy to play Lab126's war games, so JBPatch will not support new firmwares anymore. I've outlined the reasons many times. Curse me if you want, but better yet, go and complain to Amazon about their developer- and consumer-hostile policy. It was entirely their deliberate decision to show us (and you) the middle finger again and again.
I agree with you and I would like to thank you again for the hard work!
I had to uninstall JBPatch as I need the last firmware version...
It seems Amazon (lab126) wants to make developers choose:
- kindlets (only if you have the KDK)
- WAFs (Mesquites) for anyone else
Anyway, I don't realize why they don't use some of your amazing patches...

Maybe, in the near future, they will release the KDK and JBPatch will be back again!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #1518
Antoinekamel
Addict
Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antoinekamel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ABC W p2
Smile

Thanks for your public disclaim, ixtab.

We love your work.
Antoinekamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #1519
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Here's a new experimental patch, inspired by this thread.
This is terrific. Thank you, ixtab!
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #1520
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Hey everyone. Is there a way to revert to 5.3.4 to get this patch to work? I currently have 5.3.5. Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated as I'm a technological caveman.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2013, 03:02 PM   #1521
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Yep, just install Firmware 5.3.4 using the update functionality.

To prevent your Kindle from automatically updating to a newer firmware, use dsmid's BackDoorLock.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #1522
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are there instructions for how to do the update? I just downloaded the bin file.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #1523
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201177270
Old 09-21-2013, 03:44 PM   #1524
Japes
Addict

Quick question. My Kindle PW is ALWAYS in airplane mode and I NEVER open up the Kindle for PC app. Should I still install the backdoorlock?
Old 09-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #1525
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Quick question. My Kindle PW is ALWAYS in airplane mode and I NEVER open up the Kindle for PC app. Should I still install the backdoorlock?
Well, you don't have to. But it won't harm either, just in case you decide to turn on wireless some day
Old 09-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #1526
Japes
Addict

Gotcha. I'm just really bad about this sort of thing and am afraid I'm going to mess something up. LOL. After I revert to 5.3.4 I still need to install the actual hack which will alow the custom margins. This, in and of itself, makes me extremely nervous. LOL
Old 09-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #1527
ixtab
(offline)

No need to be nervous. There are already thousands of people using it without problems, and you can't really do anything wrong.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #1528
Japes
Addict

Downgrading firmware now. When it's done, I will try to install this hack.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #1529
Japes
Addict

Which of the three jbpatch files do I need to download, given I will have 5.3.4 on my paperwhite?
Old 09-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #1530
ixtab
(offline)

I'm not trying to be rude, but please read the documentation before asking. The answer is directly above the files.

Tags
jbpatch, kindle touch hacks