Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #46
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't think the Kindle should be left out. And there's a solution that would work and not impact anyone (except for longer wait times at the library). Get ADE on the Kindle and problem solved.
Works for consumers.

Works for libraries.

Does not work for Amazon.

Might not happen.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:37 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Even if Amazon adopted ePub for the Overdrive, libraries would likely have to buy more copies of the most popular titles because it is quite likely that their demand for eBooks just nearly doubled with the introduction of Kindle users.

ie - Waitlists that used to be 15 to 30 people just because 30 to 60 people so they'd have to buy more copies. My Overdrive system already does that. When they first put the books up and they see which titles build waitlists. Then about a week later the books with the biggest lists get additional copies added.

In other words, it is going to be yet another scrutiny of their budgets to try and match their money to obtain what people want. Again, libraries are quite used to doing that.
I know wait times would increase big time. But instead of say buying 3 copies of the latest bestseller in ePub and 3 in AZW, they could buy 6 in ePub and that would be better overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Works for consumers.

Works for libraries.

Does not work for Amazon.

Might not happen.
I know you thin Amazon can do no wrong, but here is a clear case of doing wrong.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #49
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
As of right now worldwide stats don't matter. This is only US libraries.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:38 AM   #50
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
World wide, ePub is the #1 format (Blu-Ray)
What about in the US? Thats where I'll use my Kindle and its where my library is.
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #51
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Looking at this, the annotation thing has a key component that screams to me that Kindle is doing this not so much to help libraries but to make sales. Amazon could be providing a large portion of the inventory for libraries, but lending might be such that you couldn't borrow again, thus forcing a person to buy the book to complete it. The comment with respect to storing the annotations suggests that users will always be able to have them if they choose to get a book again.

I'm just speculating, though. As it is, I wonder how library borrowing works with the EPubs and the cases where a reader might want to extend their due date. In the DTB world, I often extended a checkout date for books, especially non-fiction, guide type books that I found useful and there wasn't a demand for. Heck, I've had books non-stop for a year from a library at points (like when planning my wedding). My library never cared that I extended the due date and in other cases only stopped extensions because someone else wanted a copy of the book.

With ebooks, I know the supply is much smaller, and I am guessing stock will be limited to novels and basic non-fiction writing as opposed to the how-to type books I was describing before. Never-the-less, I am the type of reader who can take a month to read a novel as my job often distracts my reading. I know I'd find it annoying if a due date came up and I couldn't get the book again or had to wait in line months for it.... If it is a good enough book, I probably would end up buying it.

From a business standpoint, it probably is a smart move by Amazon although perhaps not ideal for the end-user in some aspects.
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:39 AM   #52
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Libraries make collections decisions all the time. This is just another one of those. There's more than one way they could handle this change:

1) Wealthier libraries will incorporate both formats.
2) Less-wealthy libraries could have one default format, and buy the other format for more popular titles.
3) Financially-strapped libraries will choose a format to go with, and ignore the other, or they'll buy both and cut down on the number of books they provide as e-books.

I think this spells trouble for Sony, though. The Kindle, from all outward appearances, is the more popular device, and the one that would therefore be expected to serve the most patrons.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:40 AM   #53
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
I know you thin Amazon can do no wrong, but here is a clear case of doing wrong.

They can do wrong. This is not a case of it though.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Libraries make collections decisions all the time. This is just another one of those. There's more than one way they could handle this change:

1) Wealthier libraries will incorporate both formats.
2) Less-wealthy libraries could have one default format, and buy the other format for more popular titles.
3) Financially-strapped libraries will choose a format to go with, and ignore the other, or they'll buy both and cut down on the number of books they provide as e-books.

I think this spells trouble for Sony, though. The Kindle, from all outward appearances, is the more popular device, and the one that would therefore be expected to serve the most patrons.
But is the Kindle the more popular device when you think of all the other collective devices that handle ePub via ADE? And unless Amazon makes changes to the Kindle app for iOS, that might not work with library eBooks if the app is even still available come June.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:43 AM   #55
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
I don't think the Kindle should be left out. And there's a solution that would work and not impact anyone (except for longer wait times at the library). Get ADE on the Kindle and problem solved.
I agree. In fact, I think libraries should treat Amazon the same way they're treating HarperCollins over the 26 checkout cap.

Library budgets are severely strained and they shouldn't be bullied into additional purchases by a new player to the game. If Amazon wants in, they should be required to use the existing formats. If not, the libraries should stand firm and tell Amazon to take a hike.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:45 AM   #56
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
Even if Amazon adopted ePub for the Overdrive, libraries would likely have to buy more copies of the most popular titles because it is quite likely that their demand for eBooks just nearly doubled with the introduction of Kindle users.

ie - Waitlists that used to be 15 to 30 people just because 30 to 60 people so they'd have to buy more copies. My Overdrive system already does that. When they first put the books up and they see which titles build waitlists. Then about a week later the books with the biggest lists get additional copies added.

In other words, it is going to be yet another scrutiny of their budgets to try and match their money to obtain what people want. Again, libraries are quite used to doing that.
One format is much easier to budget than two.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:49 AM   #57
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Now here we have a some lies...

These features are not unique to the Kindle. They also are part of the Sony x50 line. So Amazon, stop lying to your customers.

As for the library borrowing, I'm hoping that this is not the addition of another format for the libraries to have to purchase because if it is, then the amount of titles the libraries can purchase will drop and that will not be good overall.
LEARN how to use the language before you become critical. from dictionary.com;

u·nique   
[yoo-neek] Show IPA
–adjective
existing as the only one or as the sole example; single; solitary in type or characteristics: a unique copy of an ancient manuscript.
having no like or equal; unparalleled; incomparable: Bach was unique in his handling of counterpoint.
limited in occurrence to a given class, situation, or area: a species unique to australia.
limited to a single outcome or result; without alternative possibilities: Certain types of problems have unique solutions.
not typical; unusual: She has a very unique smile.
–noun

the embodiment of unique characteristics; the only specimen of a given kind: The unique is also the improbable.

I'd like to draw your attention to entry number 5 in case you missed it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
KindleKitten has got to be thrilled. (Grins)

I am speculating here but I think Amazon is going to be underwriting the purchase of ebooks for the libraries. The annouoncement specifically mentions how Amazon is working with Overdrive and little is said about the libraries themselves.

Is the Kindle going to be the first of the ereaders that allows note taking for ebooks? I would have thought that you could do that on the Sony and the Nook. Synching is going to be great.
especially if we can shut the Sony Troll up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Yep! My next eink device will be a Kindle. *gasp* Can't wait to see if a new Kindle will appear at the end of the year.
I think it is entirely possible they have something up their sleeve given the recent sale price of the DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
They can do wrong. This is not a case of it though.
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 AM   #58
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
If they support ePub, great. Otherwise, they may be taking the format wars to the library system. They'll force librarians to buy separate books for kindle users, and since libraries are so strapped for cash now, the libraries will essentially have to choose between kindle or everyone else.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #59
emalvick
Groupie
emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!emalvick , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
World wide, ePub is the #1 format (Blu-Ray)

Where as Kindle is #2 (HD-DVD).
A better analogy may be that Kindle is an IPhone and Epub is the Android. Of course, using that analogy makes me a hypocritic as I despise Apple and the IPhone/IPod phenomena and have an Android phone. I also despise MS but still use Windows... uggh
emalvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:10 PM   #60
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I'm surprised people are arguing against library books for Kindle. This is a repeatedly requested feature, and people are constantly assuming it'll work for kindle and then being surprised when it doesn't.

Honestly, I think that a library that has the choice of purchasing library books for, say, Sony readers and the Kindle will probably choose the Kindle because Kindles are so well known and there's so many of them out there compared to the Nook, the Sony readers, and so on. As a Kindle owner, I'm glad to see this coming -- I buy books fairly often, download freebies in genres I'm interested in, and would also love to be able to check out books from my local library (which I still do check out print books from).

I have a very good local library consortium available to me, and I'd love to see an option for Kindle book lending from them.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote