Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
parias1126
parias1126 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 900
Just purchased the 900

Love it so far....I'll give it a couple days. I just returned the 600 because I was told at the store it had the 3G network/wireless and brought it home and it did not...good going Best Buy! Had to come home and do my own research and apparently they don't leave the Daily Edition on any of the displays or shelves, but in the back, at any of my local Best Buys. Very Strange.

I went with the Sony because I wanted to be able to get other epub formatted ebooks from other places and not be stuck with Amazon as I would had been with the Kindle. I tried out the Nook in the B&N and found it extremely laggy (which was very frustrating to me).

Ill see what a couple days brings. I am wondering how others have found "free books" in the Sony store as I have yet to come across anything but maybe 3 free books. Is there a way to search that will bring up all the free books available (not the Google offerings).

Pam
parias1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by parias1126 View Post
I am wondering how others have found "free books" in the Sony store as I have yet to come across anything but maybe 3 free books. Is there a way to search that will bring up all the free books available (not the Google offerings).

Pam
Try this: http://ebooks.addall.com/sonyfree.html

Note any free books that you'd like to download.
Start the Reader Library application and sign-in.
Search for the book(s) noted and add to your cart.
Checkout when you're done selecting your free eBooks.
Check that the amount owing is zero and confirm to download.
Sign-out of Reader Library.
eBooks will be listed under Purchased eBooks.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 02-06-2010 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Added steps for purchasing.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 AM   #3
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Welcome to the forum solotc, and congrats on the reader. Be sure and check out all the free books here at mobileread https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=126 that are ready to go for your Sony. You can also look a few forums down from that one and get many ePub books that will also work.....

Again, congrats and have fun!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #4
Kiasmama
Kiasmama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
the free books that are in the link above. every time I got to download one, it just takes me to the sony reader software and wants me do download it again. I already have the software, and am signed into the store, yet it keeps wanting me to download...ggrrr... I just installed the reader software about three days ago because I'm also the proud new owner of a 900 :-) Would like some of these books though...
thanks

EDIT: I think I figured it out. When I went into the store and searched for the book-it gave me the "buy it now" option, that it doesn't give you from the books link. So I had to actually use the Reader store to search for the title, then buy it, rather than just download it from the link... So it was operator error...lol

Last edited by Kiasmama; 02-05-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Kiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
CandyNJ66
Enthusiast
CandyNJ66 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by parias1126 View Post
Love it so far....I'll give it a couple days. I just returned the 600 because I was told at the store it had the 3G network/wireless and brought it home and it did not...good going Best Buy! Had to come home and do my own research and apparently they don't leave the Daily Edition on any of the displays or shelves, but in the back, at any of my local Best Buys. Very Strange.

I went with the Sony because I wanted to be able to get other epub formatted ebooks from other places and not be stuck with Amazon as I would had been with the Kindle. I tried out the Nook in the B&N and found it extremely laggy (which was very frustrating to me).

Ill see what a couple days brings. I am wondering how others have found "free books" in the Sony store as I have yet to come across anything but maybe 3 free books. Is there a way to search that will bring up all the free books available (not the Google offerings).

Pam
You just got it and now you want to return it lol. Hope you get the e-reader that is a good fit for you
CandyNJ66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:39 AM   #6
parias1126
parias1126 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandyNJ66 View Post
You just got it and now you want to return it lol. Hope you get the e-reader that is a good fit for you
I don't think I said I wanted to return it quite yet. I said "I'll give it a couple days"... meaning I'll give it a couple days to play with it and get used to using it. This is my first ereader so I am still exploring and finding all the ways it can be used. I was inquiring about free books in my post and started that I returned the 600 due to the fact that Best Buy sold me the wrong one. I didn't do my research before going to the store the first time when I was told the 600 was 3G/wireless.
parias1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #7
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiasmama View Post
the free books that are in the link above. every time I got to download one, it just takes me to the sony reader software and wants me do download it again. I already have the software, and am signed into the store, yet it keeps wanting me to download...ggrrr... I just installed the reader software about three days ago because I'm also the proud new owner of a 900 :-) Would like some of these books though...
thanks

EDIT: I think I figured it out. When I went into the store and searched for the book-it gave me the "buy it now" option, that it doesn't give you from the books link. So I had to actually use the Reader store to search for the title, then buy it, rather than just download it from the link... So it was operator error...lol
Hi Kiasmama, I should have made my instructions clearer. You need to have the Reader Library application up and running then access the Reader Store to download the eBooks you've found with the other searches.

I've updated my post above for those unfamiliar with downloading free eBooks from the Sony Reader Store after you've found them using third-party search utilities.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 02-06-2010 at 09:48 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:08 AM   #8
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
When looking for free books at the Sony store, click on the bargain priced books on the left side of the screen. At the top of the page, in the middle, are the free books.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote