Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
kjkw
Ken
kjkw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Conversion to Kindle Fire Document

I have a Kindle Fire and I want my mobi books to appear on the Documents shelf rather than on the Books shelf. That's how I keep my books separate from my wife's.

1) I do a Calibre mobi to mobi conversion, making sure that [PDOC] appears in the Personal Doc tag field.
2) I copy the new mobi file from my computer to the Fire's Documents folder via USB
3) I reboot the Fire

The end result is that the mobi file is in the Documents folder, but the book appears on the Books shelf, not on the Documents shelf.

I know that I can accomplish what I want by emailing the book to the Fire, but I want to be able to do it via USB. Is there something more that I can do with Calibre to get these books to appear on the Documents shelf rather than on the Books shelf? Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Ken
kjkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Add [PDOC] to the tags of the book in calibre before sending it to the fire.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #3
kjkw
Ken

Thanks, but it didn't work. I now have [PDOC] in the Tags field of the Edit Metadata screen and in the Personal Doc Tag field of the MOBI Output screen. After deleting the previous version from the Fire and doing another mobi to mobi conversion, when the new version is transferred to the Documents folder of the Fire the book still appears on the Books shelf and not on the Documents shelf.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then, I'm at a loss. Not possessing the fire, I can't help you any more.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
kjkw
Ken

Thanks for your attempt, and for creating Calibre.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have [PDOC] as the Personal Doc tag in Preferences -> Output Options -> MOBI Output, but my Calibre-created MOBIs always show up in Books on the Fire (and so presumably do not have PDOC set). This is what I want, but was never sure why this happens until searching the Forums just now.

I always use Bulk Convert (and I start from ePubs that were previously created with the command line ebook-convert, more often than not from a MOBI), and itimpi says this probably turns off PDOC in PDOC tag different for bulk and individual. So are you using Bulk convert? If so, try Convert individually or try unchecking Use saved conversion settings under Bulk convert.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-17-2012 at 10:40 PM.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
kjkw
Ken

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been using individual convert, and I've tried both [PDOC] and PDOC (without the brackets). Nothing seems to work. Everything appears on the Books shelf.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #8
silverpublish
silverpublish began at the beginning.

Device: none
The reason that is happening is that you are converting mobi to mobi. The actual kindle format isn't mobi. It's only ONE of the formats they allow. The actual format is azw. That's where the difference comes in.

I'm wanting the azw format conversion myself. It would be awesome to have!
silverpublish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
kjkw
Ken

And mobi books that are sent to the Fire via email are in prc format. I've tried changing the mobi extension to azw and also to prc before the USB transfer to the documents folder. In both cases, the books work fine, but they still appear on the Books shelf.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverpublish View Post
I'm wanting the azw format conversion myself. It would be awesome to have!
MOBI and AZW are *identical*.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have been unable to get the PDOC tag set using Calibre (the latest 0.8.40).

I imported Dickens, Charles: The Pickwick Papers (Illustrated). v6. 16th Oct 2009, which is a PRC file.

I have the Page Setup import profile set to MobiPocket Books and the output profile set to Kindle (I have also tried Kindle Fire), and the MOBI output Personal Doc tag: set to [PDOC]. I Individually converted to MOBI and saved to disk. When I look at the output using mobi2mobi I get:
Code:
EXTH    item: 501 - CDEContentType - 4 - EBOK
I also tried bulk convert after unchecking "Used saved conversion" and I still get EBOK.

When I transfer this ebook to my Fire via Calibre's send to device, it shows up under Books and it still has EBOK.

I have seen posts that report Calibre ebooks ending up under Docs (not Books) on the Fire, and this was because PDOC was set. So this works for some, but it isn't working for me.

Buy the way, so far as I can tell it isn't that PDOC is required to appear under Docs, but rather that EBOK is required to appear under Books. In particular MOBI/PRC ebooks with no 501 EXTH at all are in Docs as is a "PSNL" (personal letter?) welcome document.

Last edited by wallcraft; 02-18-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: EBOK vs PDOC
Old 02-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The setting of PDOC happens only when exporting from the calibre library via send to device or save to disk (i.e. when metadata is written to the file being transferred). It does not happen on conversion.

Just to be clear: you have [PDOC] in the setting *and* [PDOC] as a tag for the book you want marked as PDOC?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #13
kjkw
Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I have seen posts that report Calibre ebooks ending up under Docs (not Books) on the Fire, and this was because PDOC was set. So this works for some, but it isn't working for me.
Yes, a discussion of that can be found here ...

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle/r...TxNYELM6OT759L

Quite puzzling.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just to be clear: you have [PDOC] in the setting *and* [PDOC] as a tag for the book you want marked as PDOC?
That was my problem. I did not have [PDOC] set as a tag. I misunderstood what "Personal Doc tag" means (obviously, set this tag to get a personal doc).

If this field is blank (no tag) do all ebooks have PDOC set?
Old 02-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I dont think so, iirc, if and only if it is non blank and the book has the specified value does your document get the pdoc set.