Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-06-2009, 05:39 PM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Allergy relief with salt

I thought I'd share a health tip for allergy relief - from the Mayo Clinic. Boil water, add about 1/4 tsp natural sea salt, and let it cool to a tepid or room temp. Then take a syringe (no needle!) and fill it with the salt-water. leaning to one side spurt it up one nose nostril - hold it shut - and blow it out the other side. After a few repeats, do the other side.

It sounds odd and messy, but it works! This is the first year ever that I haven't taken major meds to breath and sleep at night. I think some drug stores may sell a gizmo that you can use for the flushing process, but a cheap syringe can be replaced every few days which I think it more hygenic. Since it is drug-free you can do as many times per day as needed. Hubby does 3x day, I usually do 2x.

I have heard that gargling with salt-water is also good to do after traveling by plane, train or bus - to kill other germs and avoid viruses (virii?).
Hope it helps!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
I use 1/8 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp of baking soda in a neti pot. Soothing.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I use a neti pot during winter months. Using it for 3 or 4 days straight will clear any nasal congestion.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:40 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it's the "neti pot" that I heard of people using. I suggested that my mother (in the USA - grooks, she's also in Chicago area) buy one and try it. She also wants to add baking soda. Typically, I'd take nasal spray cortisones, ant-histamines, etc for weeks to clear up nasal congestion. I think this is such a wonderful (and no side-effects from medications) therapy.
Old 06-07-2009, 03:27 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I use a neti pot occasionally, but probably should more. The over the counter stuff helps, but not nearly enough. I've been coughing for weeks!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 04:38 AM   #6
rgeorg
Guru

Gideon, Over-the-counter decongestants can be addictive in the sense that symptoms come back stronger after each use. Max recommended use period is 10 days. But allergy season lasts longer than 10 days! I have had the weeks-long cough symptoms also in the past. It is terribly debilitating (coughing).
I hope that the neti pot (or even syringe) & gargling can help.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:53 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think the gadget you're referring to is the NeilMed SinuRinse. My wife uses it, and it does work very well indeed. The sachets of powder make mixing up the right strength solution very simple. (Although, of course, you pay for the simplicity.)

[QUOTE=rgeorg;482878I think some drug stores may sell a gizmo that you can use for the flushing process, but a cheap syringe can be replaced every few days which I think it more hygenic. Since it is drug-free you can do as many times per day as needed. Hubby does 3x day, I usually do 2x.
[/QUOTE]
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #8
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I've got fairly severe allergies and live in the allergy capital of the US - allergies are terrible all year long. Even when I have used a netti pot regularly it was never able to relieve all that much - just kept respiratory infections from developing.

I hate taking the pills but even my doc is like "well, that's really all you can do." Along with the netti pot.

I use the NeilMed SinuRinse too... I like the packets, last thing I need is to be screwing around with more crap in my bathroom.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just FYI, The "neti pot" refers to an ancient Indian practice called Neti (pronounced as Nay-tee with a soft t). It's a great way to decongest I used to use it extensively when I suffered from sinus problems. I didn't realize it helped with allergies as well.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Just FYI, The "neti pot" refers to an ancient Indian practice called Neti (pronounced as Nay-tee with a soft t). It's a great way to decongest I used to use it extensively when I suffered from sinus problems. I didn't realize it helped with allergies as well.
well, nasal allergies work kinda like this I think.

there are receptors in your nose, and when an allergen gets caught in the receptor, your body starts reacting like it senses a virus or bacterial infection, that's what an allergy is, something your body attacks that isn't really bad for you.

So the Neti Pot would work by clearing out the receptors, so it should provide near instant relief, unlike when you have a cold, it would come back because your body will still respond by producing mucus. if you are away from the allergen, it shouldn't reappear.

I used a Neti pot before it was cool. (mother works for a natural cooking school, so they were at the forfront of the new Neti pot movement) Boy I hated it, and it wasn't worth it in my opinion.

Claritin works great for me, when I have bad allergies I take 2 that day, than 1 per day for the next 2, and then I taper off to 1 every 2 days, 1 every 3, and that ussually gets me out of that allergy attack. I don't have many outdoor allergies, only indoor, cat and dust, of course I have a cat, and I live in NYC.

Humidifiers for the win though! those really help keep the dust out of the air in my bed room. in winter the Heat dries out the air. in summer my A/c Does that. so I had really dry air for the longest time. then my GF bought my a Humidifier and I had 2 days of great air. then it broke(amazon gave full refund!), but then it was open window time for the 3 months from March-May. Now it's a/c season again and she just got me a new one. which cured a cough and bad allergies I was having.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
cjcherryh
cjcherryh doesn't littercjcherryh doesn't litter

Device: computer
Best one I've found OTC is Ayr Sinus Rinse. Very simple, pre-measured packets of saline, use 1 for 7% (same as body tissues) solution. Nasty to use: shower is best place. But it's a fast fix for exposure to the day's irritants, or especially if you just got a face full of mold.

Used during a sinus infection, with appropriate attention to sterilization of the bottle (dishwasher) it will help a lot.
cjcherryh is offline   Reply With Quote