Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
ribcookie
ribcookie began at the beginning.

Device: palm clie sl10, sony prs505, itouch, sony prs700, prs505, prsT1
exchanged prs 700 for 505

recieved the prs 700 as a gift and i was so happy. this was a huge upgrade from my reading experience on the itouch by far. but the itouch will be my portable reader with the unbeatable ru readerers autoscrolling text feature since the prs 505 screen is kind of fraigile.

since i owned the prs 505 early last year before the mysterious screen breakage it was like riding a bike again. the touchscreen was wonderful for navigating, and opening books on the prs 700 with my special formatting, different fonts, zero intent, etc, which gave me the most text per page, was so fast compared to the prs 505. it took 7 minutes for the prs 505 to open my converted book. now i don't bother i will just convert thru the sony software this way the books will load right away without doing internal formatting.

in the 25 days i owned the prs 700 reader i loved it so much except for the screen, i tried to tolerate it, but i couldn't. the glare, i just couldn't stand the glare. i felt so dumb holding the book at a perfect angle to read, i paid 400 bucks for this thing, this is unacceptable!!!

now that i have the prs 505 i feel happy that the screen is great, but sad because i'll miss the speed of the 700 and all it's great features minus the glare.

so hopefully sony will create a prs 505 which is faster, perhaps a side light without adding an extra layer on the screen, add a words per minute auto page turn feature so i can read on my back without worrying about pressing any bottons. put a plastic e-ink screen on it instead of glass, this would make it lighter more durable, like 120g , that would be perfect.

enough of my ranting, just wanted to give my two cents and hopefully sony is listening.

Last edited by ribcookie; 01-07-2009 at 03:10 AM.
ribcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 12:42 PM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
You are the first I've seen go back to a 505 from a 700. I don 't know about lighted screens but I'm looking forward to wireless capability
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 12:43 PM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
You are the first I've seen go back to a 505 from a 700. I don 't know about lighted screens but I'm looking forward to wireless capability
Um... the 700 has no wireless capabilities.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #4
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Um... the 700 has no wireless capabilities.

BOb
BoB,

I think he was referring to whats COMING for '09
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I hope they don't make wireless standard, I actually don't like that feature. That is, unless it is combined (can download via usb and wirelessly). But then you'd still have the keyboard, and I don't want that either.

Man, I guess I better hope they keep the 505 on the market in the horrible circumstance something happens to my Reader *knockonwood*
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2009, 08:41 PM   #6
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

the way i see it, i'd rather invest the money towards a glass like
touchscreen (iphone). But the future is going to be wireless everything
(3G &3.xG) and Touchscreens galore! Considering how crazy Apples
app store is doing, its only a matter of time before everyone will want
a piece of the action in some form or another. Currently, Sony is missing
out on a HUGE piece of market by not utilizing a kindle like OTA store.

Sooner or later people will be people and curiosity will get the better of them
and start downloading OTA books, magazines and music/audiobooks!!

trends rule/run the world.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:17 AM   #7
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
yes, sorry for the confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Server View Post
BoB,

I think he was referring to whats COMING for '09
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:12 AM   #8
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
the way i see it, i'd rather invest the money towards a glass like
touchscreen (iphone). But the future is going to be wireless everything
(3G &3.xG) and Touchscreens galore! Considering how crazy Apples
app store is doing, its only a matter of time before everyone will want
a piece of the action in some form or another. Currently, Sony is missing
out on a HUGE piece of market by not utilizing a kindle like OTA store.

Sooner or later people will be people and curiosity will get the better of them
and start downloading OTA books, magazines and music/audiobooks!!

trends rule/run the world.
the Iphone does mark the beginning of a new Trend of the PDA, but we are still years away from an all around Device that does everything. i can see PDAs eventually Replacing the laptop for most thing. the power is getting there.

the only thing holding them back are battery life, which needs to hit atleast 24 hours of continous use, and also expandability as far as using it the way you want. and the wireless network is not strong enough yet.

and I mean the PDA is to replace everything, From books to paper, to CDs, to DVD players.

Last edited by Andybaby; 01-08-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 PM   #9
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
I posted about a month ago that I bought the 700, and sent it back & went back to my 505. I just couldn't handle the glare & the loss of contrast. Made it too hard to read for me. I adored the 700's GUI, and the speed and all, but it wasn't worth giving up the screen clarity of the 505 to me.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
It does seem to me that if you're used to a 505, you'll be disappointed with the 700, whereas if coming from the 500 or being new to eInk, you'll be satisfied with it...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #11
Server
Anti-Narcissist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
It does seem to me that if you're used to a 505, you'll be disappointed with the 700, whereas if coming from the 500 or being new to eInk, you'll be satisfied with it...
You are absolutely right. People who are used to the 505, assume the
700 screen with a touch panel will look exactly the same. When
they notice that it isn't they are compelled to revolt and downgrade
back to the 5 series. I went back to the sonystyle store for an
unrelated purchase and played again with the 505. It has the same
clearity as any other non-touchpanel screen I've seen. But I kid you not,
I was so put off by the molasses slow-ness of the page turns and file loading
I would not even compare the two models because they are not comparable.

Both use a different processor, both are different in too many ways.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
You are absolutely right. People who are used to the 505, assume the
700 screen with a touch panel will look exactly the same. When
they notice that it isn't they are compelled to revolt and downgrade
back to the 5 series. I went back to the sonystyle store for an
unrelated purchase and played again with the 505. It has the same
clearity as any other non-touchpanel screen I've seen. But I kid you not,
I was so put off by the molasses slow-ness of the page turns and file loading
I would not even compare the two models because they are not comparable.

Both use a different processor, both are different in too many ways.
See I don't even see the slowness of the page turns. I quickly adjusted to it (I push the button before I'm done reading the page).
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:15 PM   #13
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I also don't notice the speed of the page turn anymore.
Reflowed PDF can be quite slow depending on the book but LRF/LRX and epub are as fast as I would turn a real book anyway.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
sayhello
Addict
sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.sayhello has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Blue!), PRS-650 (Black), iPad, iPod Touch
Turning the page on my 505 is no slower than turning the page on my paperbacks, and no more of a hardship.

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #15
Server
Anti-Narcissist

I stand corrected. For ePUB and other formats maybe not as bad.
It was PDFs that I was talking about. There is no comparison and this
was a major deciding factor (besides search capabilities)