Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

MS OneNote Mobile currently free in iTunes App Store

Just playing with my new Touch 4G and ran across a RSS item that OneNote Mobile was released to the App Store yesterday. So I thought since a number of people who post here mention OneNote is a must have app on any multi-purpose mobile reader sort of device. Who knew there would be a version for the iPod/iPad?

And yes, of course there are other options, we did not all graduate from the University of Duuuuhhh , but just wanted to add that it's there for those who either use it now on their primary computers or have been planing to get it soon.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
That's great news. One of the reasons I run Windows in the background on my Mac is because of OneNote. Definitely a must have app. Sad it's not available for Android.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

yeah bummer no Android, yet but then again Android can't seem to settle on an OS version for any length of time which has somewhat of a cascade effect, or so it seems. Hardware makers are looking at a moving target so they aren't really targeting the versions of today. And with not a lot of Android devices in wide availability yet, the software people are only going to get their feet wet. I think Android should be the eventual and genuine competitor for iOS but it's not quite there yet and why I decided to try to see how the Touch worked for me and if it does I might just pickup a 3G version of the iPad but to be honest I am feeling the same claustrophobic feel on the Touch as I did when trying the Mac OS's of years gone by. They are fine but not for me, I tinker and am just not acclimated to the iOS and everything via iTunes. I'll get there though because it really is a spiffy device, save for that unexplainable decision to go with a faux chrome backing...sigh, I suppose they fire that engineer and the back of the 4th gen Touch is destine for the Apple Wall of Shame (all companies have them even if they are not offical because, well in a twisted way they are funny.

Now about OneNote, sorry I meandered. A word of warning, after reading the reviews there seems to be a know issue when trying to log onto the MS Live site returning a 400 Error (one of those catch-all sort of error message that may or may not mean anything). I had no problem.

The solution I ran across on the MS site was if one encounters the 400 error, just keep trying as after the first login the issue seems to go away. MS is supposed to be, ahem, "working on it". Don't know if it's just on their iOS version or all of the mobile versions. All I know is I had zero probs. So don't be too disheartened if you hit that error. I did not delve deep enough to figure out if it's Safari related or ???

Hope it works for most folks who have been waiting, I LOVE OneNote, might be my all time fav program for managing info.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It is the iPhone version, not specifically for iPad.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:32 PM   #5
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
yeah bummer no Android, yet but then again Android can't seem to settle on an OS version for any length of time which has somewhat of a cascade effect, or so it seems. Hardware makers are looking at a moving target so they aren't really targeting the versions of today. And with not a lot of Android devices in wide availability yet, the software people are only going to get their feet wet. I think Android should be the eventual and genuine competitor for iOS but it's not quite there yet and why I decided to try to see how the Touch worked for me and if it does I might just pickup a 3G version of the iPad but to be honest I am feeling the same claustrophobic feel on the Touch as I did when trying the Mac OS's of years gone by. They are fine but not for me, I tinker and am just not acclimated to the iOS and everything via iTunes. I'll get there though because it really is a spiffy device, save for that unexplainable decision to go with a faux chrome backing...sigh, I suppose they fire that engineer and the back of the 4th gen Touch is destine for the Apple Wall of Shame (all companies have them even if they are not offical because, well in a twisted way they are funny.

Now about OneNote, sorry I meandered. A word of warning, after reading the reviews there seems to be a know issue when trying to log onto the MS Live site returning a 400 Error (one of those catch-all sort of error message that may or may not mean anything). I had no problem.

The solution I ran across on the MS site was if one encounters the 400 error, just keep trying as after the first login the issue seems to go away. MS is supposed to be, ahem, "working on it". Don't know if it's just on their iOS version or all of the mobile versions. All I know is I had zero probs. So don't be too disheartened if you hit that error. I did not delve deep enough to figure out if it's Safari related or ???

Hope it works for most folks who have been waiting, I LOVE OneNote, might be my all time fav program for managing info.
I read about OneNote on a tech blog and downloaded it. Not sure how much I'll use it, but it's free and I can always delete it. What do you use it for?

I've never owned any Macs, but I like Apple mobile devices for the reasons you touched on -- stuff just works. I don't wanna buy tech and tinker with it.

I'm waiting for Android hardware and software to stabilize more. With limited coordination among hardware and software makers, it's too messy for me now.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
My productivity apps consist of the calendar on my old school flip phone and a pen. Don't need more than that.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #7
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'm not sure what OneNote gives me that Evernote doesn't?

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I'm not sure what OneNote gives me that Evernote doesn't?

Lee
I'm sure it comes down to personal preference. I've used OneNote since it first came out. Evernote wasn't in existence. I tried Evernote and just wasn't able to make the transition. Also, I prefer something that has Outlook integration.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #9
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Weird that the OneNote app is not available to Canada.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 AM   #10
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebusinesstutor View Post
Weird that the OneNote app is not available to Canada.
Engadget said it was U.S. only.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:19 AM   #11
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Requires OS 4.2, but the untethered generic 4.2 jailbreak is not out yet

"Buying" through iTunes to ensure I get it during the limited-time free period.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #12
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Meh... not in Europe >_>
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:45 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
If it is free, you can just create a second iTunes account, in the US store, and not specify any payment method. Switch to that account, download it, then switch back to your normal account. The only annoyance is that you have to switch back again to get any updates to the US apps. The app store does not do any sort of IP based geographic checking. (Specific apps like Pandora do)
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
Mickey330
Addict
Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mickey330 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis & the Kindle app on iDevices
I was tempted, but - as of now, it doesn't work with OneNote 2007; only with 2010.

Bummer.

Marilyn
Mickey330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

What do they want people to do, upgrade Office (again)?.

Last edited by SCION; 01-21-2011 at 01:30 PM.