Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
aprilquilts
aprilquilts began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
struggling with calibre

Hi there,
My dh is hoping to buy a new ereader for me for Christmas. I currently have a Kindle 1, and wanted to get the new Kindle 3. There are a few books that I wanted to format using calibre. I downloaded calibre, but I'm getting an error message every time I try to send to device. I'd like to get this to work, so I can feel good about getting the new Kindle. Doing my homework, and struggling! April
aprilquilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I don't really feel qualified to help you with this as I have had very little experience with Calibre. I do know that you need to have the reader attached to your computer via the USB cable so Calibre can recognize that it is present before you can download your reformatted eBook/document to the Kindle (you probably already had this figured out.... )

There is an entire forum here on MobileRead devoted to Calibre with a lot of knowledgeable and helpful people there; post your questions about the program there and you will get assistance: Calibre

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 12-18-2010 at 12:30 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #3
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
What does the error message say?
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
aprilquilts

Thanks for taking the time to write. I did have my kindle plugged in to my computer. I'm not sure what gives. Perhaps I messed up my settings when installing. At the moment, I'm taking some time to move a bunch of books from my kindle to the SD card. We'll see if that helps. Mostly, I'd like to get my content loaded into collection so that I can transfer to my new kindle (and remember) what I have.
Old 12-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #5
aprilquilts

I don't recall. I'll plug it in again, and see what it says.
Advert
Old 12-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Phoul
Dances with penguins
Phoul began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
also if no one has any ideas theres a dedicated calibre forum with very knowledgeable people. Its just under the heading calibre on mobileread(where you are).
Phoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #7
aprilquilts

Rebooted, and tried again, voila! We have calibre! Thanks for the help.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:05 PM   #8
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I would get an error message when I clicked the send to device button. I had to press the arrow on the side of the button and choose Main Memory. No more errors after that.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:54 AM   #9
brewjono
Zealot
brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brewjono ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, KPW
I wouldn't go too overboard sorting out collections on your K1 as it will be completely different on the K3.

I have been using Calibre quite extensively for the last 12 months with a K2 and K3 and even when I tried to transfer from the K2 to the K3 it was a drama.

It was far easier to start again.

One tip I would suggest though is to take your K1 and plug it into Calibre.

Then copy the books from your K1 onto a NEW calibre library. Call it backup or seomthing.

When the K3 arrives transfer every book in that 2nd library onto the K3. Then you can delete the 2nd library.

Calibre can handle multiple libraries and you can switch between them.

This worked for me as I had about 700 books on the K2 and about 10,000 in my library.

Brewjohno.
brewjono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 03:05 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You really should ask for help with Calibre on the Calibre forum. You're much more likely to get help there than here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote