Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #1
BIG45-70
BIG45-70 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Awaiting my Kindle 3 to arrive... question about epubs and PDFs

I'm waiting for my kindle 3 too arrive, I'm in Canada so they arn't shipping until septmeber 20th. I have a very large collection of Epubs and a few PDF manuals I would like to put on it when I get it. To convert the EPubs for use on the kindle is it as simple as running them through caliber and converting them to a mobi file? I'm assuming the same goes for the PDFs, I run through caliber to convert to a mobi?
BIG45-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:24 AM   #2
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

Yes, that works just fine with calibre. But beware of footnotes. They are obviously formatted into the text.
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 07:31 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Calibre will convert drm-free ePub files very well into mobi files - not sure about PDF conversion as I rarely read that format.

If your files are protected with drm then conversion will not be possible unless you remove this first.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The ePubs will convert fine using Calibre. The pdfs will convert, but you can expect some less than satisfactory results depending on what kind of pdfs you started with.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:39 AM   #5
grzzly
Enthusiast
grzzly began at the beginning.

But calibre really does a great job converting. I converted some plain text pdfs (with good text information i.e. no faulty recognitions of text) and they became perfect mobi files.
grzzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 08:42 AM   #6
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
Since I have the same question, anything special that should be done/selected in calibre for the conversion? Should I select Kindle in output profile? Anything else? Or just select source file and output format?
Thanks!
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:13 AM   #7
warp
Connoisseur
warp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
I have selected the Kindle as output format in Calibre. Just preview the results of the conversion in the viewer, most plain formatted PDF files will be fine. If not - I use OCR software to get a better result, eg if there are many footnotes in the PDF or page numbers
warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Corran006
Connoisseur
Corran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the roughCorran006 is a jewel in the rough

I find you have to go edit the Epub and remove any number on the left margin higher then 1. or it does not look like. so keep that in mind.
Corran006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:49 AM   #9
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
My conversion of epubs and text pdf's was fine also. You can highlight your entire calibre library, select convert, then select MOBI as your outward file, and just walk away, calibre will do the lot in one go, just leave calibre to get on with and go and do something else.

It puts the new MOBI file in the same folder in the calibre library as the existing file. Then when you connect your kindle calibre knows to send the correct file.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
BIG45-70
BIG45-70 began at the beginning.

sweet deal, thanks all
BIG45-70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:55 AM   #11
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
I concur with the problem with headers and footers in PDFs, but I think there is a setting somewhere that attempts to strip them out. Otherwise, it works great.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Good though Calibre is, I find that Mobi Creator generally does a better job when it comes to the specific task of PDF conversion.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 AM   #13
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Just wanted to post to add to the Calibre love

I have a Sony 300 and all of my books are in epub. I am awaiting the K3 and I used Calibre to convert them all to mobi. So right now I have a each book in drm free epub and mobi format. When my K3 arrives I will plug it in and xfer all the books via Calibre. It knows to transfer all the mobi files and not epub. It really is that simple (or so I'm told )

When I converted, I switched the output to Kindle, and did it in batches of 20 at a time. I also went into "Look & feel" and checked "Remove spacing between paragraphs" and that will also add a 1.5em indent to the paragraphs. You can also check the box below it to "Insert blank line" between paragraphs. It depends on if you like spaces between the paragraphs or if you want to use as much real estate as possible and cram as many words on a page as you can. Lastly, under page margins I set the 4 margins to 1.

Now this is my preference, ymmv and you need to play around with the settings to find what looks best for you. Just take one book and filter it through a few times and look at the output.

Enjoy!
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #14
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I have a Sony 300 and all of my books are in epub. I am awaiting the K3 and I used Calibre to convert them all to mobi. So right now I have a each book in drm free epub and mobi format. When my K3 arrives I will plug it in and xfer all the books via Calibre. It knows to transfer all the mobi files and not epub. It really is that simple (or so I'm told )
It is that simple, I did it with epubs, RTF's and text PDF's, over 700, and it worked a dream
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 AM   #15
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by grzzly View Post
But calibre really does a great job converting. I converted some plain text pdfs (with good text information i.e. no faulty recognitions of text) and they became perfect mobi files.
How do you do that? Every pdf files I tried to convert came out with the weird lettering at the end of each page.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote