Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-22-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
sniffingratty
sniffingratty began at the beginning.

Device: illiad
handwriting recognition/typing

Hi all,

I am considering this reader because of its web browsing capabilities. I am wondering about the practicality of this without a keyboard, what are your experiences with this. i have never used a stylus with handwriting recognition that worked very well, and i don't like the idea of having to punch a keyboard one letter at a time, although that may be better than trying to get handwriting recognition to work in my experience with it (is this an option on this device?)

so let me know:

does the handwriting recognition work well for entering web addresses, email, or whatever.

is there a "keyboard" option (an onscreen keyboard)?

how is the browsing experience in general in terms of being able to read pdf's and navigate articles.?

thanks
sniffingratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no handwriting recognition. You can write "free hand" on the device, but it's just stored as "graphics"; there's no attempt at recognition. Whenever you need to enter text, it's entered using an on-screen keyboard. It works well enough, but you wouldn't want to write an essay on it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
sniffingratty
sniffingratty began at the beginning.

Device: illiad
thanks for all your help harry.

how would you say the browsing experience is on it?
sniffingratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
handwriting recognition is coming in the next firmware upgrade
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffingratty View Post
thanks for all your help harry.

how would you say the browsing experience is on it?
Web sites which are primarily text work well enough. You wouldn't want to use it on sites which have lots of graphics, etc. It works fine for things like Wikipedia, webmail, etc.
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by luag View Post
handwriting recognition is coming in the next firmware upgrade
Are you sure? That's the first I've heard of it. Are you referring to the 1.5 firmware version?
Old 04-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Are you sure? That's the first I've heard of it. Are you referring to the 1.5 firmware version?
Not 1.5 yet probably, but handwriting recognition, text-to-speech and line space adjustment option is coming soon. Hopefully before the end of this month.

http://translate.google.com/translat...la:pl:official
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
That translation indicates support for Chinese (characters?) which is a bit easier than support for English / languages which use the Latin alphabet. (In Chinese, stroke order is fixed, making recognition easier).

I'd dearly love to see (English) handwriting recognition (only learned 500 characters when I was studying them) though.

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
browser, handwriting