Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
A decent iBooks overview/review

This guy sure seems to like the ipad as a reading device.

I sure do hope iBooks supports series - not mentioned at all in the article and I didn't see my series tag when looking at the file info in itunes.

http://www.suntimes.com/technology/i...033110.article
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Matches Malone
Connoisseur
Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.Matches Malone can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PW2, Ipad
from that review

Quote:
electronic ink displays have an advantage over the iPad: their displays have higher contrast and resolution.

You have to peer very, very closely at them before you can even detect the dots that make up the letters. The iPad’s type is noticeably less smooth. But it’s still not jagged. It’s perfectly comfortable to read. The iPad has something that e-ink displays lack, too: backlighting. The LCD display wouldn’t work without it but it has the nice side-effect of providing your iBook with a built-in reading light.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
from that review
electronic ink displays have an advantage over the iPad: their displays have higher contrast and resolution.
My gripe with e-ink is I need a lot of light to read it and I don't really enjoy having a 60 watt light over my shoulder to read comfortably.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
My gripe with e-ink is I need a lot of light to read it and I don't really enjoy having a 60 watt light over my shoulder to read comfortably.
Really? I don't find I need any more light to read on my Kindle than I did to read paper books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 AM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Really? I don't find I need any more light to read on my Kindle than I did to read paper books.

BOb
All eyes are different. That is the main reason I love the light on the 700. While the Sony 505 and the Kindle are great I prefer some form of direct lighting either from the back or the side. I would use a laptop or netbook but I hate the ergodynamics.

One of the reasons I am hopeful for the iPad. That could be my dream ereader.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Higher contrast? That's pretty funny. Perhaps in direct sunlight where the backlight of the iPad is completely overwhelmed.

Shame about the resolution, but it's not unexpected. I wonder how Apple is using subpixel rendering on the iPad. If it's anything like what they have in OS X (Quartz), I think it'll be less than ideal (a bit on the fuzzy side). Better for designing/printing, but not as good for on-screen reading with limited resolution.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:38 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Shame about the resolution, but it's not unexpected.
I am curious, where you twirling your handlebar mustache, lifting a cup of tea with your pinkie out, or flourishing your cape when you typed that?
Old 04-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I am curious, where you twirling your handlebar mustache, lifting a cup of tea with your pinkie out, or flourishing your cape when you typed that?
I don't subscribe to the pinkie school of etiquette.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I don't subscribe to the pinkie school of etiquette.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:02 AM   #10
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
I have a 500 too and my reading is also painful when night time comes.

I think those first eink screens lose contrast with age. The background is definitely a darker shade of grey.

Quote:

BOb
Yeah, yeah, rub it in! You got rid of your 500 just in time...

Bob, what's the latest in eink contrast? It seems they don't talk about it much anymore.

I find myself reverting to paper more and more because it IS more readable under artificial light than my ol' 500. The 500 screen is darker than paper. But that's what makes it better in direct sun conditions; less glare.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:

BOb
Want to trade eyes ?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I have a 500 too and my reading is also painful when night time comes.

I think those first eink screens lose contrast with age. The background is definitely a darker shade of grey.
That just might be. I'm glad that I'm not the only one suffering from this.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
All eyes are different. That is the main reason I love the light on the 700.
Yep... understood. BTW: As far as a "60 watt" bulb... try a Sun lamp or something like it. http://www.amazon.com/Executive-Sun-.../dp/B000N551RE You get the same light as from a 150 watt incandescent but it is much cooler and only uses 27 watts of power.

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, rub it in! You got rid of your 500 just in time...
What do you mean? Did something happen to it?

Quote:
Bob, what's the latest in eink contrast? It seems they don't talk about it much anymore.
I agree. I expect it is about as good as it can get. But, perhaps they will improve it with the next generation. My feeling though is that the little do-hickies suspended in liquid while displaying the white side look gray due to being a bit translucent.

Quote:
Want to trade eyes ?
The grass is always greener.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #14
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
The main thing that puzzles me concerning the iPad as an ebook reader is the apparent lack of an app on the iPhone/Touch so that you can continue reading a book on either device. This is just handing business to Amazon, which will have both an iPhone and an iPad app - particularly since it is reasonable to assume that their iPad app will sync across devices, just as their iPhone app does.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #15
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
The main thing that puzzles me concerning the iPad as an ebook reader is the apparent lack of an app on the iPhone/Touch so that you can continue reading a book on either device. This is just handing business to Amazon, which will have both an iPhone and an iPad app - particularly since it is reasonable to assume that their iPad app will sync across devices, just as their iPhone app does.
We don't know yet about an app for the iPhone/Touch. If you look at the iBooks app in the iTunes store, there is a reference there that iPhone needs OS 3.2 to download.