Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
fading
fading began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
TOC in Calibre?

Hi all,

I'm very new to eBook publishing. Would like to say that first of all!

I started off using MobiPocket to convert PDFs into .prc files, and I've pretty much mastered that.

Now, I need to convert the same books into .epub format. I've been advised that the best software for this is Calibre which I've downloaded.

What I've done is dragged in the html file that I edited the first time round when I was creating the .prc file, so that all my corrections will appear in the .epub as well.

The issue I'm having is creating a TOC.

I've selected 'Force use of auto-generated Table of Contents' and I've set level 1 TOC to 'h3' as this defines where each chapter is (this is the method I used to create a TOC in Mobi). However, when I open up the file in my Sony eBook library software, there doesn't seem to be any sort of a Table of Contents.

Can anyone help? Maybe there's a better way of converting my .prc file to .epub also?

Thanks,

Sam
fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you convert your Mobi books to ePub using Calibre, and you've correctly set up the TOC in the Mobi book (with a "TOC" Guide Item), the ePub book will automatically pick up the TOC from the Mobi book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 05:36 AM   #3
fading

Hi Harry,

Well, I may not have used the correct procedure for converting my Mobi book using Calibre. From the Mobi book I created, I've got a whole folder of files - a .prc, a .xml, a .opf and two html files (I'm guessing one is the book and one is the TOC?)

But all I did in Calibre was drag in my edited html file of the book itself, as I assumed the other things were exclusive to Mobi. Should I have dragged more content into Calibre?
Old 08-14-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Simply add the PRC book to Calibre, then convert that to ePub. You don't need any of the other files.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:45 AM   #5
fading

Ah, that's much easier that what I was trying to do, sorry about that! Thanks for your help.
Advert
Old 08-14-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

No apologies necessary. Happy to help .