Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #1756
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I have no interest in storing bazillions of books on my devices, especially not ones I have no intention of reading. I delete anything of that ilk. Don't care if I spent money on it, if its rubbish, its rubbish I wont read.
I used to delete them from Stanza but I usually ended up re-downloading when browsing for things to read (lots of fanfics). I figured it was easier to just keep them on the device and tag them as "crap" using the reader app rather than keep downloading and reading the first couple of pages over and over again.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:30 PM   #1757
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I agree--one of the great pleasures of having an e-reader (for me) is the ability to have my entire library at my fingertips, just as I would love (if space permitted) to devote an entire room of my home to use as a library.

I just think of Marvin as my librarian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Why not? I find it useful to have plenty of choices on-hand for times when internet connection is not readily available.
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #1758
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
...just as I would love (if space permitted) to devote an entire room of my home to use as a library.
I've done that. Bookshelves in one room, and a chair for sitting and reading. Just as well I live alone. If it werent for the fact that I will likely sell the house at some point in the future, I would probably organise a carpenter to come and build the shelves into the room, rather than having them free-standing.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #1759
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I have about 6k books in calibre. Calibre appears to have performance issues sometimes.
I also have about 700 books in Marvin and more will come. So far, Marvin's library performance is more than ok for me.

I considered going via delete/reload via OPDS(Calibre is configured to provide OPDS via Internet, I use iPad 3 with 3G) but...I DO use highlighting/commenting features of Marvin and don't want to play games with export .mrv files, import them back,etc
Anyway, it's much faster to search something in marvin than to query via OPDS.

Marvin is great!
I hope iPhone version's performance will be at least same on iPad for me
Old 08-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #1760
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@vikarti I find that Marvin is faster on a similarly specced iPhone that on iPad.
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #1761
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by RONE View Post
I keep seeing people with ebook collections that are larger than some local libraries. What reason is there for needing to have thousands of books at your fingertips at all times?
Short answer: Because I can.

They aren't all on my device(s), but they're in my Calibre library, which is in Dropbox, which puts them at my fingertips as long as I have wifi (or 4G on my phone). Yes, I have more books than I can read in this lifetime. No, it doesn't necessarily make sense. Before Kindle, I always had a pile of paper books, too, that I thought I'd get to "some day". I do read a lot more now than I did with paper books, but I still acquire them a lot faster than I read them. At least they don't take up much space now, though.

I currently have 207 books in Marvin - I delete a book as soon as I've finished it. I've got a LOT more than that in Calibre. But there's a always that new shiny book I hear about that I just can't resist adding to the pile. EBHD - eBook Hoarding Disorder. Yep, I've got it.

Last edited by Meemo; 08-16-2013 at 02:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:56 PM   #1762
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
....But there's a always that new shiny book I hear about that I just can't resist adding to the pile. EBHD - eBook Hoarding Disorder. Yep, I've got it.
Oh yes! Me too! But its better than hoarding other stuff. We hoarders have found an ideal thing to hoard. Doesnt mess up the house
Old 08-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #1763
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
I totally agree. Better hard druve/cloud than bookshelves
Old 08-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #1764
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
I totally agree. Better hard druve/cloud than bookshelves
Unfortunately, I seem to have hoarded both. I need to set-up a new file server due to my hoarding (not so much for ebooks but for 1:1 Blu-ray, HD DVD and DVD rips).
Old 08-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #1765
andy88
Enthusiast
andy88 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini
@Kris,

The next Marvin update for iPad looks excellent.
When will the update most likely be released ?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #1766
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This September. Just some finishing touches left and preparing for the launch.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #1767
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And the iPhone version?
Old 08-22-2013, 08:03 AM   #1768
kguil
Addict

Coming too. They'll be available at the same time.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:13 AM   #1769
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you very much, @kguil.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #1770
kyteflyer
Wizard

Coming with the release of the new iPhone and iOS7 I guess
Closed Thread