Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Power Consumption Tests for the Kindle Fire

11/17/2011 7:50 PM

Power consumption for Kindle Fire:

Was able to charge from 23% to 100% in two hours.

Recharge signal is issued at 15%
Capacity from 100% down to 15% = 85%

Hold On/Off Switch:
One Second - Sleep Mode
Five Seconds with Option Showing - Shut Down Mode (Required after using external speaker.)
Twenty Seconds - Reset Mode

Reading for 31 minutes:
Starting time / power level: 11/18/2011 5:43 PM / 100%
Finish time / power level: 11/18/2011 6:14 PM / 93%
Power consumption = 7%

Music for 23 minutes:
Starting time / power level: 11/19/2011 1:09 PM / 76%
Finish time / power level: 11/19/2011 1:32 PM / 73%
Power consumption = 3%

WiFi On (from the Settings) + Tune In App turned on for Sleep Mode -
Start of power down for 14 hours - time / power level: 11/18/2011 6:14 PM / 93%
Finish of power down level for 14 hours - time / power level: 11/19/2011 8:14 AM / 91%
Power consumption = 2%

WiFi On (from the Settings) + Tune In App turned on for Shut Down Mode -
Start of power down for 12 hours - time / power level: 11/19/2011 7:32 PM / 25%
Finish of power down level for 12 hours - time / power level: 11/20/2011 8:19 AM / 30%
Power increase = 5%

Conclusions:
1. Shut down Fire every night.
2. Alternate reading between 4th Gen Fire and 3rd Gen Keyboard each day.

The only suprise was that Shut Down Mode results in an INCREASE of Power in the battery since ALL processes ceased and the battery level could stabilize.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
11/17/2011 7:50 PM

Power consumption for Kindle Fire:

Was able to charge from 23% to 100% in two hours.

Recharge signal is issued at 15%
Capacity from 100% down to 15% = 85%

Hold On/Off Switch:
One Second - Sleep Mode
Five Seconds with Option Showing - Shut Down Mode (Required after using external speaker.)
Twenty Seconds - Reset Mode

Reading for 31 minutes:
Starting time / power level: 11/18/2011 5:43 PM / 100%
Finish time / power level: 11/18/2011 6:14 PM / 93%
Power consumption = 7%

Music for 23 minutes:
Starting time / power level: 11/19/2011 1:09 PM / 76%
Finish time / power level: 11/19/2011 1:32 PM / 73%
Power consumption = 3%

WiFi On (from the Settings) + Tune In App turned on for Sleep Mode -
Start of power down for 14 hours - time / power level: 11/18/2011 6:14 PM / 93%
Finish of power down level for 14 hours - time / power level: 11/19/2011 8:14 AM / 91%
Power consumption = 2%

WiFi On (from the Settings) + Tune In App turned on for Shut Down Mode -
Start of power down for 12 hours - time / power level: 11/19/2011 7:32 PM / 25%
Finish of power down level for 12 hours - time / power level: 11/20/2011 8:19 AM / 30%
Power increase = 5%

Conclusions:
1. Shut down Fire every night.
2. Alternate reading between 4th Gen Fire and 3rd Gen Keyboard each day.

The only suprise was that Shut Down Mode results in an INCREASE of Power in the battery since ALL processes ceased and the battery level could stabilize.
I find sleeping mode uses little to no power consumption. My KF was not used at all yesterday and this morning when I woke it up It still had a near full battery. Used it for an hour watching a little video, reading and surfing and it was down to 80%. Just now woke it up and it's still on 80% I leave WiFi off when not in use. Last Charge was 1:30pm Saturday.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #3
kbarnsda
KBar
kbarnsda doesn't litterkbarnsda doesn't litter

Device: Amazon Fire, Amazon Kindle
Hello,

From a full charge at 11pm, I routinely set the display to minimum brightness, use earphones, and set display timeout to 1 minute and use the application "Tunein".
I have wifi enabled of course and generally turn the whole thing off at 9AM.
I listen to "Coast to Coast" and just let it play through the night. If I don't record, I have less battery inpact.

I routinely have over 50% charge left. Sometimes I have 60-65% left.

I assume this is due to the fact that I sometimes check email etc before I retire or a few rounds of Angry Birds and sometimes I record the show if they have an interesting guest.

ps...
Reason for more power consumption on shutting down is a "cold boot" probably results in more power consumed than the sleep mode??

I was rather surprised that I got this much time out of WIFI Radio.

Last edited by kbarnsda; 11-27-2011 at 09:26 PM. Reason: comment on another post...
kbarnsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:32 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnsda View Post
.. I routinely set the display to minimum brightness...
Same here. The only time I increase it is when watching videos or outside.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you turn WiFi off before putting it to sleep it will consume little to no power. I have gone three days on one charge with little to moderate use such as internet and reading.

I haven't tested how long it would go if I continue that pattern but I charge my Fire last night and haven't used it. Turn it on now and it's at 100%

So Sleep mode consumes no power or very little if any but that's with WiFi off. The one time I left WiFi on it was at 68% when I went back to it at the end of the day.

Tune In doesn't consume too much battery as I use it during the day for a few hours.
Advert
Old 11-27-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Same here. The only time I increase it is when watching videos or outside.
Same here and I use Screen Filter at 65% to 67% with light and without light 40% to 45% and if Hubby is being a pain it goes down to 30% with the light off.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
Kai Winters
Lover of Books
Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kai Winters ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+
My brightness is set at approx 30% and is just fine for reading and web browsing.
I do wear "readers", as my arms surprisingly are shorter than they were several years ago, perhaps the glasses also help a bit with brightness levels.
Kai Winters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Just curious if you killed all running apps in the background before running the tests?
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:12 AM   #9
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I've been just informally keeping an eye on which activities use the most power on the Fire. Music playback, whether streaming or from the device, hardly seems to touch the battery level. Videos use about what I would expect. Games, however, are the worst culprit for me. I've become addicted to Dabble, but it really sucks the battery down.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:24 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I've been just informally keeping an eye on which activities use the most power on the Fire. Music playback, whether streaming or from the device, hardly seems to touch the battery level. Videos use about what I would expect. Games, however, are the worst culprit for me. I've become addicted to Dabble, but it really sucks the battery down.
Yep Games are battery killers more then anything. Which is good if you trying to run the battery down to charge it. I have seldom got the Fire down to 25%. Angry Birds does not seem to one of those apps that drain much. I charge every 3 days with my Fire.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:27 PM   #11
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I get 7 days on my Kindle Fire between recharges. I leave WiFi on all the time, Sleep Mode during the day and Shut Down Mode at night which also automatically closes WiFi and all other Apps in background.

I have a circular power strip for 6 devices and leave all chargers plugged in all the time just attaching individual devices to the labelled connectors as required.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote