Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Harry Potter eBooks to be officially sold

Yes it looks like pigs are flying today. JK Rowling in association with her publisher and Overdrive have announced that they will be selling ebook versions of the Harry Potter series.

This seems to be a direct reversal of Rowling's previous statements about how an ebook isn't a "real" book and she wanted people to experience her books in paper.

Well, this quote from Rowling seems to totally contravene that statement:

Quote:
It is my view that you can’t hold back progress. I love printed paper . . . This year for the first time I have downloaded e-books and it’s miraculous . . . I feel good about bringing it into this world.
The ebooks will be sold exclusively on the new "Pottermore" web site and be available in formats for various readers including Kindle. I expect that Overdrive's work with Amazon on library books is what will allow them to provide DRMed content for Kindles.

The ebooks are said to be available starting in October 2011.

@via teleread:

http://www.teleread.com/paul-biba/ha...-by-overdrive/

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 06-23-2011 at 02:36 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Harry Potter series to be sold as e-book
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-13889578
23 June 2011

"The seven Harry Potter novels are to be sold as e-books for the first time in October."

Last edited by boxcorner; 06-23-2011 at 02:34 PM.
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM   #3
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Okay... that's good news. But the cynic in me is wondering what will be the price point of these books. No matter what it is, the faithful will buy them up.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:33 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I was at the store today, and I swore I saw Satan buying a parka.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This site on the BBC article interested me:

Quote:
"I do have closure with Harry. I'm pretty sure I'm done on the novel front, but it was fun while it lasted," she said.
Really, does that mean you made your money so you are done writing?

BOb
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Hmm... teleread has another article on this that claims the ebooks will be DRM free.

http://www.teleread.com/drm/j-k-rowl...ooks-drm-free/

an interesting twist to the story.

I wasn't planning to buy them, but if the above is true and they come with the bonus material and the price is right I might reconsider.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 06-23-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Wow! I can't wait to get them. I hope they are all released at the same time! I can't wait to see the bonus material...
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Wow! I can't wait to get them. I hope they are all released at the same time! I can't wait to see the bonus material...
I don't think there was any mention of the ebook versions having bonus material. As far as I'm aware, the bonus material will be on the Pottermore website and not the ebooks.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
I don't think there was any mention of the ebook versions having bonus material. As far as I'm aware, the bonus material will be on the Pottermore website and not the ebooks.
Yep... true 'dat. Looks like it will be available free to all.

BOb
Old 06-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Okay... that's good news. But the cynic in me is wondering what will be the price point of these books. No matter what it is, the faithful will buy them up.
$19.99
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
So this is why there was no Rapture on May 21st as forecasted by Harold Camping. Giving folks time to partake in this long awaited bliss. I hope they're released prior to the end of the world on October 21st.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:23 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Hmm... teleread has another article on this that claims the ebooks will be DRM free.

http://www.google.com/reader/view/fe...blog%2Ffeed%2F

an interesting twist to the story.

I wasn't planning to buy them, but if the above is true and they come with the bonus material and the price is right I might reconsider.

BOb
Can we please have a link that doesn't go to silverlight articles please?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can we please have a link that doesn't go to silverlight articles please?
Sorry, wrong link in my clipboard. Fixed above.

BOb
Old 06-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #14
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I can't wait!
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I can easily see this watermark being found and we'll be told how to remove it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote