Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Charging/Data Cable No Good

Been having problems with my stock USB cable for the past few days. Started happening immediately after I installed CM7 internally. First it would turn red instead of orange when connected. Then it wouldn't charge as quickly as it used to when plugged into wall. Then it would not charge or connect to my computer without me manipulating the cable, as if it had a short. Regular USB cable worked fine.

Called tech support. Hold time was less than 5 minutes. Conversation lasted 10. New cable on the way.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Hm those are the same symptoms I've have on my cable, I never connected it to CM7. (I've always had to tweak my nook cable to get it to work.)
At work I use my kindle's microUSB and I've never had any problems charging the nook. The speed is pretty quick as well.

One note about CM7 is the WIFI never turns off, the dev did this on purpose to have a quick connect time when the nook is woken up. I don't know if this has been fixed in the newer version of CM7.

Let us know if the new cable fixes the issue.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
One note about CM7 is the WIFI never turns off, the dev did this on purpose to have a quick connect time when the nook is woken up. I don't know if this has been fixed in the newer version of CM7.
=X=
I really don't mind this. I do notice that WiFi re-connects ridiculously fast (nice change). I recall having problems with it not connecting sometimes because of a B&N update that broke it. Now that you mention it, I'll have to remember to turn the WiFi off when I go to bed. Those notifications startle me sometimes in the middle of the night.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I too have had cable issues...the cover around the light up "n" came cracked in half with exposed wires...it still half way worked when getting it "just right" but B&N replaced it right away.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
You mean because the NC doesn't deep sleep in CM7? Or does WiFi actually time out in the stock OS?

Apparently the deep sleep issue is fixed in the latest CM7 beta, but the beta was really sluggish for me and I got a lot of force closes, plus my battery life is decent anyway, so I went back to the latest stable build.

ETA: it took me about a week to realize that the WiFi indicator on the notifications screen is also an on/off button--I'd been using widgets when it was already built-in :P
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
You mean because the NC doesn't deep sleep in CM7? Or does WiFi actually time out in the stock OS?

Apparently the deep sleep issue is fixed in the latest CM7 beta, but the beta was really sluggish for me and I got a lot of force closes, plus my battery life is decent anyway, so I went back to the latest stable build.

ETA: it took me about a week to realize that the WiFi indicator on the notifications screen is also an on/off button--I'd been using widgets when it was already built-in :P
WiFi has 3 sleep policies: sleep after a certain inactivity time (usually 15 minutes), do not sleep if charging, never sleep. CM7 defaults to the 1st. You can easily change the behaviour to any of the 3 policies, just to go "Settings", "Wireless networks", "WiFi settings" then press "Menu" and select "Advanced", then "Sleep policy"
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:45 AM   #7
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
WiFi has 3 sleep policies: sleep after a certain inactivity time (usually 15 minutes), do not sleep if charging, never sleep. CM7 defaults to the 1st. You can easily change the behaviour to any of the 3 policies, just to go "Settings", "Wireless networks", "WiFi settings" then press "Menu" and select "Advanced", then "Sleep policy"
In CM7, that setting is described as, "Specify when to switch from Wi-Fi to mobile data," so perhaps it doesn't work in the absence of a mobile data network? Mine is defaulted to "When screen turns off," with the other options being "Never when plugged in" and "Never."

In any case, deep sleep would also turn off WiFi until the device wakes, wouldn't it?
Old 05-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #8
SCION
Séduisant

Replacement cable just arrived. I'm back in business. Lighted indicator works as intended. When I plugged it in, it was orange instead of red. I guess the red color is an early warning that the cable is going bad. Anyway, to those who have faulty stock cables, just call in and request a free replacement.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior

I just had to order a replacement cable (after not quite 3 weeks!) because one corner of the plastic housing where it plugs into the NC just came off in my hand :/ It's still functional, so I guess I'll have a backup, but it hardly inspires confidence.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #10
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
My previous cable had the light go red. It was caused by the green LED dying. So, It would be red when charging, and unlit when fully charged. The cable still worked well though.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
drv
Enthusiast
drv doesn't litterdrv doesn't litter

Device: Nook Color
This thread might be of interest to those of you who are having cable problems.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1090369
drv is offline   Reply With Quote