Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
doc_mart
doc_mart is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle II
Scrivener to Kindle etc...

Hey all,
I think this is the correct place for this post, if not, please redirect me. I am finishing up my first ebook(let) and I am pretty excited to get it up and rolling in the world of ebooks. I am thinking the proper direction will be to get it onto Kindle directly and then load through Smashwords to other formats (right?). I have read around a lot and it seems this is the proper way to go.

I am currently writing on scrivener and wondering if other scrivies have advice on the way to best expedite the formatting to Kindle and smashwords.

I know most here do fiction, but my little piece is called: "Diss Hacks: An Insider's Toolbox to Writing the Dissertation, Thesis, and Other Writing Projects." There seems to not be anything like it out there (although there are a lot of "How To" books).

Thanks in advance.

Marty.
doc_mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Hey Marty.

I love Scrivener. But, it has its flaws. Mostly, it doesn't play well with Pages. I've had all sorts of formatting issues when using Pages as a tool to export into. Since you are writing a nonfiction book, the question becomes what kind of formatting are you looking for? Do you have end notes and stuff that need to be kept in the format? I've never really had to experiment with them.

Since Scrivener basically turns your document into a giant zip file with RTF text, you need to take some extra care with some exports.

I write primarily using the "Novel Standard Manuscript Format" template. I try to keep everything organized in separate folders, as you can see from the attached images.

When I finish my work I go to File - Compile Manuscript

If you have a bunch of footnotes/endnotes, you're going to have to play with the settings there until you get something you like. I tend to leave all the settings at default and export it to Microsoft Word.

And here's where things get complicated.

I have Parallells with a copy of W7 and OfficeXP (The last good M$ product)

I also have the short lived "Read on Microsoft Reader" macro. This converts your word document into a Microsoft LIT file. Since Scrivener talks to Microsoft Word better than it talks to Pages and Open Office, my formatting is pretty much kept intact.

I then save the LIT file with whatever metadata and cover that I want. My next step is to load up Calibre and convert my LIT file to ePub / LRF / Mobi / whatever else you want to use.

I don't know how many people read Beyond the Black when I posted it up, but I asked for people to point out whatever formatting issues they could find. I didn't get any complaints.

I've also pretty much have every current digital device and checked my documents out in them. I haven't had any issues. There may be others on here with easier methods, but this is mine.

Good luck!!

*Edit!* I uploaded the images in the wrong order.

Image 3 is the basic Scrivener writing screen when I work on my stuff.
Image 1 is after I go to the File - Compile Manuscript menu option.
Image 4 is after exporting the Scrivener file to a Word Document
Image 2 is the only metadata editing I need to do in RMR.

As you can see from the word screen, that's pretty much what I export it as. Courier 12pt, double space 1" margins all around. It's designed to be printed out and read on your basic letter paper. .. .. but, it seemed to work just as well in digital.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Compile.png
Views:	288
Size:	539.4 KB
ID:	54654   Click image for larger version

Name:	RMR.png
Views:	286
Size:	201.5 KB
ID:	54655   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scriv1.png
Views:	282
Size:	346.9 KB
ID:	54656   Click image for larger version

Name:	WordXP.png
Views:	281
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	54657  

Last edited by jaxx6166; 07-05-2010 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Images out of order.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's also the good ol'fashioned meatgrinder that you can run your word documents through...It's Smashword's automatic conversion utility. I've heard good things and I've heard bad things. Maybe someone that's used it can chime in and offer you more info on it.
Old 07-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
There's also the good ol'fashioned meatgrinder that you can run your word documents through...It's Smashword's automatic conversion utility. I've heard good things and I've heard bad things. Maybe someone that's used it can chime in and offer you more info on it.
From what I've been reading it's pretty good if you follow their 'style guide' and most problems with ugly books, etc. come from authors not following it. Don't know for sure either way how true that is.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
doc_mart
doc_mart is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle II
Wow! Thanks so much. Very helpful. I have actually converted chapters of a dissertation from scrivener to RTF to Open Office with decent success. I have also done some cut and paste moves that wasn't so bad either.

I am interested: you go to calibre and then direct to amazon? I already use calibre for convertin pdf's into mobi, so I guess this is the right move.

Thanks again. Looking forward to getting my work out there.
doc_mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_mart View Post

I am interested: you go to calibre and then direct to amazon? I already use calibre for convertin pdf's into mobi, so I guess this is the right move..
I've never actually uploaded to Kindle or any of the stores. I directly converted the files myself and then uploaded them to MR for the people here. Perhaps someone who actually sells on the digital market can better answer your question.