Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 04:11 AM   #16
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
I think I head of both (Reader an Illiad) on www.heise.de

Maybe I saw the Reader also on engadget, I don't remember.

But what I do remember is the loud discussion about the "need" for a digital Reading device with my university professor^^.

His thoughts: I don't want to carry another device. I carry PDA, mobile phone, iPod - that's enough.
My thoughts: I prefer carrying a 250g slim device over carrying a 400g 6cm "slim" book^^
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #17
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I think I saw them both on Engadget's coverage of CES. I knew I had to have the iLiad the moment I saw the article.

I bounced around the idea of getting the sony, but after I visited the sonystyle store a few days after it came out, I knew it wasn't what I needed. I remember talking to a store employee. He asked me what I thought about it...
"It's pretty cool, but it's too small and isn't powerful enough for me"
"Well, if you're looking for something with e-ink, this is just about your only choice"
"I've got another device in mind, I'll probably get that"
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:33 AM   #18
Dublee
Dublee began at the beginning.

Device: ASUS TF300, iPad 1, Nook Tablet (CM7), Nook ST, Onyx M92
I'm not sure I ever heard of the Reader or Iliad before - or if I did, I probably thought, "Oh, it's just another PDA." I did read previously a little about eink technology but didn't know it had progressed this far.

I saw on Fatwallet a posting for blah Sony blah $49 and took a peek at the posting out of curiosity. The fact that the Reader reads ebooks, the battery lasting for at least weeks, and many free classics that i've always been wanting to read sold me - even if I had to sign up for a credit card to get in on the deal.

With a newborn and work, leisure time is very limited so the Reader is perfect for those inbetween times where I may be waiting for my wife or sitting around in the car.
Dublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:18 AM   #19
BooksForABuck
Zealot
BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'BooksForABuck gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Color Nook, Kindle 2, Palm III, eBookWise, HP Jornada
Palm (Pilots)

Back in the mid-90s, I had a job interview with US Robotics. The managers I was interviewing with all had these little bitty computers in their shirt pockets. That was my first exposure to the idea that really portable computers had finally arrived. In the late 80s, I'd bought a '500 reference works' CD-ROM so I knew about reading books on computers. Then, as a writer, I became aware of the benefits of not printing things out all the time. I didn't really put everything together until around 1999.

Rob Preece
Publisher, www.BooksForABuck.com
BooksForABuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #20
solitarywolf
Ink Drinker
solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.solitarywolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle 2021, Ipad Pro, iPhone Pro
I was on a bus when I saw someone reading the Reader. Did I ask her where she got it? Or what it was? No. I leaned over to see that it was made by Sony and that she was reading it. I then knew I just had to have one. It was that one gadget that I have been looking for.

When I got the opportunity, I logged into the Sony web site and researched it. Within the month, I was able to get one for myself. I was a bit frustrated at first with the whole PDF issue, but knowing me, I knew I would get around the issue which I did in about a week. Then of course there is this forum that I frequent daily.

Anyone here old enough to notice that the color of Blue on the Reader is the same type of Blue Shading Sony used on the Original cassette Walkman? That device revolutionized how music was made portable (with incredible sound quality). Is this what Sony is doing with the Reader? I think so.
solitarywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #21
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
January 2006.
BBC News on the Internet - Sony Reader.

I didn't plan to buy it though, so I forgot about it until someone reminded me about Sony Reader in October 2006 when I finally decided to purchase ebook reader.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 AM   #22
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Gizmodo, I think.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5676
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #23
VillageReader
Evangelist
VillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with othersVillageReader plays well with others

Device: Iliad
I'm guessing it was something I spotted in the CES coverage, but what the 'source' of the coverage was is now a mystery, even to me ;-)
VillageReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble View Post
I have been following e-ink development for more than 10 years. I was already thinking about getting the librie, but it was just not good enough yet.
So i knew about the development of the sony and the iLiad from press releases.

I ordered the iLiad as soon as it was available. It was just the first. I havent seen the Sony yet, but i might get one soon. I have seen the starereader and liked its weight and size for casual reading. And i can't wait to get my hands on a cybook, which should be able to read PDF aswell as mobipocket books.

So no coincidence here. And i am looking forward to the new displays from plasticlogic.
Your iLiad is much better for PDF. As on right now, given what's out and soon to be out, the iLiad is still the best one for PDF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #25
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
let's see, there was this long lovely lady lounging in the crisp fall air of an outdoor cafe, in one hand a holly golightly cigarette holder and in the other a sony reader. i never got the lady but i did get the sony reader.
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Your iLiad is much better for PDF. As on right now, given what's out and soon to be out, the iLiad is still the best one for PDF.
Definitely. It will display A4/Letter PDFs pretty much full size in landscape mode, and it works well.

I'm starting to like the iLiad more and more for fiction. The larger screen certainly grows on you after a while!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Definitely. It will display A4/Letter PDFs pretty much full size in landscape mode, and it works well.

I'm starting to like the iLiad more and more for fiction. The larger screen certainly grows on you after a while!
What about battery life though?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:53 PM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What about battery life though?
Depends on the circumstances. The iLiad's battery will comfortably last for, say, the duration of a transatlantic plane journey, or a whole day's reading, and I can't see myself being away from a charging source for longer than that. If you are going to be away from power sources for weeks on end then it clearly wouldn't be a good choice - the Sony Reader or the Bookeen CyBook (when it appears), both of which will run for weeks without charging, would be more practical.

I think, though, that the iLiad's battery issues have been a little over-exagerated. For my use, certainly, being able to get through an entire day on a charge is really all that I need. Certainly, however, it's not the right solution for everybody - the price will put it out of many peoples' reach.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #29
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
I agree, the price is too high for casual reading. But the screensize is awesome.

I cant wait to see the first products with flexible screens. They are quite unbreakable, and can be produced in larger sizes. But i guess that will take some time still.

Although i have not yet really had a problem, with the iLiads power supply, i definately whish, it lasted longer. I would wish for 24 hours. Thats why i will get the cybook. And i like that its soooo light. Liked that about the starereader aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:54 PM   #30
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Then power is better than a laptop's.

Are there external power units available for it?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote