Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-11-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
davofwater
davofwater began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
no available formats error, please help

I've been using Calibre for awhile now. I keep my library on my google drive. I tried to open a book in Calibre and I get the "no available formats" error. I also can't convert books. But if I go into my library folder, I can open the book that way. Any ideas?
davofwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davofwater View Post
I've been using Calibre for awhile now. I keep my library on my google drive. I tried to open a book in Calibre and I get the "no available formats" error. I also can't convert books. But if I go into my library folder, I can open the book that way. Any ideas?
Google drive is incompatible with Calibre's way of naming files (numbers on the end)
There are notes in the FAQ and there have been discussions here at MR.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....rked-drive-nas
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I am not sure that Kovid's link is relevant to this case as the OP was using Googledrive rather than a network drive.

I have found that most of the common 'cloud' storage solutions work with Calibre (Dropbox, MegaCloud, Copy, Skydrive), but Googledrive does not. The reason is that Googledrive silently changes the filenames used by Calibre by removing the Id value that is in brackets and this causes the books to be disconnected from the Calibre database. I know that someone has written a small utility that can be run that corrects the names that Googledrive changes (using the metadata.opf file stored with each ebook) although I do not have a download link to hand.

Having said that other cloud solutions work, even with the ones that work you can get occasional glitches as the syncing process can temporarily make a file unavailable to Calibre. These can be lived with as they do not completely break Calibre.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
See the last line in the FAQ entry I linked to.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
See the last line in the FAQ entry I linked to.
Fair enough - I guess I just read the topic header that referred to network drives.

Maybe it is worth adding a new sub-heading labelled something like "Using Cloud storage" to separate out the last few paragraphs as these are really a different case to network drives.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #7
davofwater

Thanks guys. I didn't realize that you couldn't keep your library on google drive. I will try the fix that was posted, and hopefully it works.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
davofwater

I did try the fix and it worked. Thanks a ton.