Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
jmesar
Enthusiast
jmesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Screen thieve

This minus sign (-) stole a screen column, space is use full in the book information area. Can It be removed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen thieve.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	107489  
jmesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmesar View Post
This minus sign (-) stole a screen column, space is use full in the book information area. Can It be removed?
That button (your language/character set is not rendering the normal Backover arrow) is to clear searches (and Select all)

That button just collapses any expanded tag browser sections. Click the + next to a category to EXPAND

Last edited by theducks; 06-29-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: wrong button first time
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
jmesar
Enthusiast
jmesar began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
When I need to expand or collapse I use the ">" in the category, i do not need the "-" button for that, this is redundant, and steal screen.
jmesar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
When I need to expand or collapse I use the ">" in the category, i do not need the "-" button for that, this is redundant, and steal screen.
Not redundant. That is Collapse ALL.

Many folk have really Long Tag/Author/series lists (even with the Partition option ON ) and may leave 1 or more expanded.
In the 3+ years of using Calibre and haunting this forum, yours is the first gripe I have seen about that button.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #5
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I'm a bit confused by this discussion.

The Tag Browser panel, where the Collapse All button is located, can be re-sized by the user with the position of all elements redrawn accordingly. The only time that this button might "stick out" is if your listing has extremely short terms.

If I want to see a wider Book List, I have to either temporarily or permanently:
  • turn off the Tag Browser (or Show Book Details)
  • narrow the width of the Tag Browser (or Show Book Details)
  • obtain a higher resolution monitor
Since the monitor isn't an option, that means I have to regularly alter what calibre displays.

You have the same options, so what is the problem with switching things around as needed?
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The '-' button along with the 'Find' button and 'Find item in tag...' textbox collectively define the minimum width of the so-called Tag Browser. I've sometimes tried to make it narrower by dragging the right edge to the left and grrrowled when I can't.

But I also sometimes click the '-' to collapse all category trees - so its a catch-22

It could move to the bottom alongside the Alter Tag Browser button.

Even better would be to move that button to the top above the 'Find' button and 'Find item in tag...' textbox and put the '-' button alongside the 'Alter Tag Browser' button. The available rows for displaying category names would remain unchanged, but all the Tag Browser widgets would be grouped together, which IMO would be no bad thing.

But moving things around is likely to disturb the equanimity of too many users, so this suggestion should not be viewed as a change request.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-30-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: grammar
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I agree with Sabardeyn, click the luggage tag icon in the lower right and hide the entire Tag browser. Now the button is no longer an issue.

Try toggling all three buttons in the lower right corner to see what they hide and reveal.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:16 PM   #8
SquiddOhio
Connoisseur
SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.SquiddOhio inspires wonder wherever he or she goes.

Device: Kindle Touch
I thought thieve was a verb.
SquiddOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #9
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I've sometimes tried to make it narrower by dragging the right edge to the left and grrrowled when I can't.
I've done that as well. Then I shrug and close the Tag Browser or Show Book Details panel - depending on which one I need less. I'm sure most of us do so.

But now that you've got me thinking about it... Why not just merge the Alter Tag Browser and Collapse All buttons? Effectively it becomes the More Options (v) button seen on other iconic toolbars. Click it and a merged list of both button's functions is displayed. Of course, it saves height and not width, but...
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquiddOhio View Post
I thought thieve was a verb.
Let's see you write a post in Spanish and we'll criticise YOUR use of language. When someone's writing in a foreign language, it's seriously un-cool to criticise their spelling.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote