Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
rangaman
rangaman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
The Videos in the EPUB get automatically played when the EPUB is opened in the iBook

Can anybody help me on this?

I have developed EPUB for iPad2, with embedded video files of type MP4. When I opened the EPUB in iPad , the videos in the EPUB were playing automatically. I tried hard many methods to resolve this. But ended up with failure.

Below is the tag that I have used to embed the video file:

<video width="480" height="360" controls="true" autoplay="false">

Advance thanx for any help.
rangaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:32 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Go to Liz Castro's blog and have a read. lots of good info for iBooks.

http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/

Also, buy her book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I know the answer! Remove the <video> tag and the video will not play automatically and the ePUB will react as a normal book!
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 AM   #4
shorshe
Enthusiast
shorshe began at the beginning.

Do you still have this Problem?
I can confirm the same behavior. I used Liz Castros Method, but the videos still autoplay.

Code:
  <div class="video">
    <video autoplay="false" controls="true" height="280" poster="../Images/rock.png" src="../Video/rock.m4v" width="340">Video</video>
  </div>
shorshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: iPad, Kindle Touch, Sony PRS-T1
if the autoplay attribute is present the video will autoplay. if you remove it altogether it should work (ie, not autoplay)

fun times:

http://www.w3schools.com/html5/tryit...video_autoplay
mzmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Please file a bug. Please. File a bug.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
mzmm
Groupie
mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mzmm has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

@dgatwood - i don't think this is a bug. i may be missing something here, but 'autoplay' is a boolean attribute, which i understand to mean that if it is present in the <video> element it's necessarily true, and false only if absent.

html5 specs state:

The values "true" and "false" are not allowed on boolean attributes. To represent a false value, the attribute has to be omitted altogether.

this would mean that <video autoplay/> autoplays, and <video/> does not.

read more here:

http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/htm...ean-attributes
Old 12-20-2012, 05:37 AM   #8
shorshe
Enthusiast
shorshe began at the beginning.

Removing autoplay alltogether did the trick. Videos do not autoplay in ibooks. I misunderstood the concept of a boolean attribute.
shorshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:15 AM   #9
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmm View Post
@dgatwood - i don't think this is a bug. i may be missing something here, but 'autoplay' is a boolean attribute, which i understand to mean that if it is present in the <video> element it's necessarily true, and false only if absent.

Ah. I see the problem. The spec for the video tag is inconsistent with the behavior of all of the previous tags that did the same thing. For example, the <embed> tag requires you to specify autostart="false" or else it automatically plays.

So I still say "file a bug", but file it with the W3C and tell them that they need to fix the spec so that browsers are required to handle autostart="false" and autostart="true" in the obvious way.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #10
mzmm
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgatwood View Post
The spec for the video tag is inconsistent with the behavior of all of the previous tags that did the same thing.
HTML5 vs. HTMLn i guess.