Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-06-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Good weather vs Reading.

Does anybody else have this conundrum? Its seems to be happening to me more and more the longer I live in Belgium. Lovely country, but the weather is a bit, well, English.

Whenever the sun pops out, I want to put me book aside and go for a stroll, or a bike ride, and/or sit in a café. I can't read in public (or while walking and biking, for that matter). So my reading time drops considerably.

Maybe I'm just getting old(er).
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:13 AM   #2
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
You're getting old(er).

Why can't you read in public? Too shy, or is reading frowned upon in Belgium? Personally I'd love to be able to enjoy a book and a bottle of Girardin Gueuze at a nice cafè right now.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 05:26 AM   #3
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
I love reading in the sun.. So no problem there!
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #4
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Vapor Punk I do far more reading in winter here in Aus, because it's more comfortable temperature wise to sit under a reading light when reading on an already hot night (they can add a few degrees to one's already hot body).

However, I've always been able to read down the beach, sprawled on a chair or towel. Or anywhere for that matter, and particularly on public transport to and from work etc.

Everyone in Sydney seems to read on the trains: newspapers, magazines, books etc, it's just part and parcel of the culture.

Where did you originally hale from if you find Belgium to have English type weather?
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Talking Brussell sprouting .......

Last time I was in Belgium, it was the " Do Not Read On The Grass" signs that put me off.....................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2012, 05:52 AM   #6
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
You're getting old(er).

Why can't you read in public? Too shy, or is reading frowned upon in Belgium? Personally I'd love to be able to enjoy a book and a bottle of Girardin Gueuze at a nice cafè right now.
I would prefer a kriek myself, or a nice coffee.

Not shy and lots of people read in cafés here. Its just that I get distracted too easily. 95% of my reading takes place in bed, occasionally outside on the terrace. But even there, it can be hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Vapor Punk I do far more reading in winter here in Aus, because it's more comfortable temperature wise to sit under a reading light when reading on an already hot night (they can add a few degrees to one's already hot body).

However, I've always been able to read down the beach, sprawled on a chair or towel. Or anywhere for that matter, and particularly on public transport to and from work etc.

Everyone in Sydney seems to read on the trains: newspapers, magazines, books etc, it's just part and parcel of the culture.

Where did you originally hale from if you find Belgium to have English type weather?
I envy you. I used to be able to do that, now I have trouble even reading a mag or newspaper in public, forget about a book that requires lengthy concentration.

I'm a displaced Yank, though I do have Belgian roots. Always had extended family here but just moved here like 2 years ago. I used the "English" weather description 'cos most people will know instantly what I mean, rainy and cloudy and rainy...and then more rainy.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
VaporPunk
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Last time I was in Belgium, it was the " Do Not Read On The Grass" signs that put me off.....................
Are you sure you weren't in Holland? And didn't the sign say "Do Not Read While On Grass?"
Old 07-06-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool Smirk ......

Nah, Vapour, man, like, uhh, y'know, like ....... that was, like, uh, y' know, uh.... Amsterdam.....
(little "bike-shop", just off the main drag, past the flower stalls and over the canal .......)
Old 07-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
You're getting old(er).

Not so nice when it's chucking it down with rain, though. The UK's just had the wettest Spring since records began .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #10
carpetmojo
Wizard

And no, I am not "On The Grass" now, despite "forgetting" Amsterdam was actually in Holland !

( I do remember a little Italian cafe not far from Sotheby's Amsterdam saleroom that sells the most lethal Sambuca mixes I have ever had the misfortune to have too many of. I still shudder when I speak of it....)
Old 07-06-2012, 06:40 AM   #11
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not so nice when it's chucking it down with rain, though. The UK's just had the wettest Spring since records began .
That's true of course, but surely the cafès and restaurants in Belgium haven't completely done away with awnings?
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
Does anybody else have this conundrum? Its seems to be happening to me more and more the longer I live in Belgium. Lovely country, but the weather is a bit, well, English.

Whenever the sun pops out, I want to put me book aside and go for a stroll, or a bike ride, and/or sit in a café. I can't read in public (or while walking and biking, for that matter). So my reading time drops considerably.

Maybe I'm just getting old(er).
Me. What did we have here, warm and sunny Wednesday? And now? Gee I hate the weather here, it changes 3 times per day. Right now sticky and humid. I couldn't sleep well because of the heat.

Don't worry about your reading time dropping, we have like what, 1 sunny day per month? Rainy weekend is coming anyway. Btw, I'm also displaced, permanently from the looks of it.

Cold Duvel please!
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I often used to dislike good weather, because a lot of my favorite activities seem to contradict it. (knitting, spinning, writing, playing a musical instrument). Socially, the weather seems to drive what people are supposed to "want to do". I've often been told I was nuts to want to "stay in and knit" on "such a good day". Well, sometimes the magnet pull of a preferred activity trumps weather I do love going outside on a nice day though.

I read an amusing introduction by Isaac Asimov from one of his books of short stories, and he goes through the same thing about why he prefers rainy days. Nobody questions him "staying inside to write" when it's storming outside. My husband and I had a little chuckle after reading that intro.

Reading seems to be one of those things that there is no "vs" with good weather. I can just toss my T1 (or a book) into my knapsack and go.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:39 AM   #14
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporPunk View Post
This is just another lame attempt to get us to believe that Belgium really exists. I'm not buying it.

Quote:
The existence of the supposed European country of Belgium has been taken as gospel for years by members of the Liberati. It has long been held up as a shining example of Liberal philosophies in action. However, now is the time the truth be known. Belgium doesn't exist.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #15
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i love reading in bed and not out in the sun. sun here is very harsh; you could get sunburned easily and it's quite uncomfortable.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote