Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #316
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Barty - I have the same problem - I have got hold of the file you kindly linked. How did you load it onto your iphone without using itunes?
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #317
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
So its working for you?
Yes... right to the fiction read login (I'm not the OP)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:45 PM   #318
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Barty - I have the same problem - I have got hold of the file you kindly linked. How did you load it onto your iphone without using itunes?
I have an iPad. Hopefully the file is universal so it'll work on iPhone.

Did you try to drag n drop into iTunes and do a sync to see if it'll install? In iTunes, drag n drop the ipa file onto the Library section of the left pane (not into your device section).

I used ifunbox (google it). My iPad is jail broken, but it may work w/o jailbreak.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #319
NimNams
NimNams began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4
Stanza's back and running 100%. And while I'll still hold onto BlueFire just in case, I'm pretty ecstatic right now. Woo hoo!
NimNams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 09:55 AM   #320
Razi
Zealot
Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Razi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba E740, Cassiopeia, iLiad, iPad, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Razi, tell Amazon, please. The only way to make them care about Stanza in any way is customer pressure.
I wrote to them over a week ago and their response was prompt. Then I received another email after a week apologising for the delayed response and directing me to Stanza developers' website. Still Amazon seem to be distancing themselves from this app and its future seems bleak. I think we will have to go through the whole thing again when the app stops working in future. Bought two books for kids last night just to show Amazon that I appreciate their latest move. Still Stanza must die in order for that stupid and inferior Kindle application to thrive. My son is hinting at the purchase of a Kindle but I said, "over my dead body!" He never got his PS3 either after actually asking for it. "What, Sony? Over my dead body!"
Razi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #321
Rachel
Zealot
Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rachel has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony prs505, kindle, ithing
Hi Barty Thanks for the info. I've not been successful yet and get the error code 0x W=E8008001 even with ifunbox. My phone is not jailbroken, so I will need to think about that.
It's really annoying that I had held off from upgrading my ithings so as not to lose Stanza. My ipad is now upgraded with the latest Stanza and everything is fine, but I hadn't realised that my iphone is 3g and therefore cannot be updated. Stanza for 5.0 had downloaded before I realised.
I need to think some more about this; but thank you for your help.
Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:52 AM   #322
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
99% of people who use kindle don't know what stanza is. It's barely on amazon's radar. Stanza is still dead app walking. Already the cover image lookup is broken. I wouldn't be surprised if the dictionary lookup stops working.

We need to petition/pressure Amazon to open source it.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #323
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Firstly, as you ... I for one would hate that.
Quote:
"AMAZON: Buy my kindle"
Do you work for Amazon or something?
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #324
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexutix View Post
:coffeebreak: Do you work for Amazon or something?
You seem to be confused. For the record, though: I'm not, in any way, affiliated with Amazon.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:29 PM   #325
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
We need to petition/pressure Amazon to open source it.
Be careful what you ask for. Amazon seems to want to wash their hands of it, and publishing the source under GPL would be a simple way to kill it for most iOS users. The GPL license is incompatible with the iTunes terms.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #326
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
Be careful what you ask for. Amazon seems to want to wash their hands of it, and publishing the source under GPL would be a simple way to kill it for most iOS users. The GPL license is incompatible with the iTunes terms.
There are other open source licences that don't conflict with the AppStore's terms of use, e. g. the BSD licence, the Apache 2.0 licence and many others.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #327
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
.. I hadn't realised that my iphone is 3g and therefore cannot be updated. Stanza for 5.0 had downloaded before I realised.
I need to think some more about this; but thank you for your help.
Rachel, you will find Stanza 3.1 in your Mobile Applications folder. We are lucky that Amazon has not yet noticed that the code does not require that older versions are deleted along with the upgrade process. You might need to make a decision about which device you read on most, and if its your phone, downgrade to the older version.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #328
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Okay, here's what happened to me: I too hastily upgraded, though I'm still on 4.3.3. Oops. Crash city, as we now know. I tried to revert to the old version, couldn't do it for some reason. Even restored from a backup. Somehow Stanza was still screwed up.

I had to go searching the web for the old binaries. Finally found a working one here:

http://www.4shared.com/file/vBYvE5ek/Stanza_v31.html

Note: this works for me on iPad. Use only as last resource and at your own risk.
This wont work for everyone and may end up overwriting their legal 3.1 which should still be in their mobile applications folder.

I have removed mine and backed it up elsewhere just in case, but it was still there after the new install.

Sadly the only way to downgrade, though, is to completely remove your 3.2 from your phone and from your itunes. It doesnt matter if you leave it for future reference (in the folder - dont choose remove to trash), but you must delete from phone and itunes. Yes, your books will have to be reinstalled again, but its a small price to pay for functionality. I often leave older versions if upgrading, just in case. I'm just a bit peeved that my very much older versions of Stanza were lost along a couple of hard drive seizures and therefore I have never been able to install anything older than 3.1 (downloading older versions off the net has failed completely for me, they wont install at all)

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-13-2011 at 02:50 PM.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:55 PM   #329
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No worry about the dictionary functionality-- just tap on a word, Stanza's usual weird full page pop-up shows up, select the word, hit define-- and you'll get the definition in the iOS 5 resident New Oxford American Dictionary, one of the best in the globe.

Unneeded steps, but at least it means Stanza now has an off-line, resident dictionary
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:26 PM   #330
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
No worry about the dictionary functionality-- just tap on a word, Stanza's usual weird full page pop-up shows up, select the word, hit define-- and you'll get the definition in the iOS 5 resident New Oxford American Dictionary, one of the best in the globe. -snip-
the New Oxford did not have a definition for "floccinaucinihilipilificator" (found in the book I'm currently reading.

but this
http://oxforddictionaries.com/defini...lipilification
was found online
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bluefire, ios, stanza