Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 04:03 AM   #1
camprunner
camprunner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Where to purchase

Are there advantages to purchasing in a store as opposed to online or vice versa? Interested in the Nook classic only. TIA.
camprunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
If you live near a Barnes and Noble store, it seems to me that this is the best way to buy a classic Nook. Instant gratification (no waiting for delivery), and the price is the same online and in the store. Other stores, like Best Buy, are OK, although from another thread on the color Nook quality-control, it seems they may be mistreating their merchandise. Of course, once the Christmas rush is over, this will be less of an issue.

Some websites do not charge sales tax, depending on the site and the state you live in. So that could be a factor, although then you have the shipping charges to think about. In-store is the way to go, IMHO.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
If you buy from Best Buy, the return/exchange period is 30 days instead of the 14 at B&N. I don't know about Walmart and Books-A-Million.

One advantage to buying in-store, especially at B&N, is that you can get it set up and operating right there before you go home, and get a little practice with it while someone's there to help you. Some people get frustrated at trying to get everything set up, and since nobody reads manuals any more they can't figure out how to use it.
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
camprunner
camprunner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks. I don't actually live near a store but will be out near one twice this week and thought that I might pick one up since it is probably quicker than ordering one.
camprunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
LaurieGator
Crazy Cat Lady
LaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavensLaurieGator is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 2i, Nook Color (Rooted)
I picked mine up a B&N and I was glad I did. I was able to get it all set up with wi-fi before I got home and made sure all was working well. I had heard people having a hard time setting up their Nook at home and since my closest B & N is an hour away, I wanted to make sure all was good before taking it home :-)
LaurieGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
One thing to keep in mind. If you buy online you cannot return/exchange at the store...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote