Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #31
rainboy
rainboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs 505
Hey HarryT,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Are good firmware & hacks available for a Netronix EB 600 knock offs. Also what about viewing PDFs on this? Too many choices!!!

I am willing to bet $217 from something in India for quick hassle free delivery & saving 50-60% of taxes + shipping.

Thanks once again

Last edited by rainboy; 03-02-2010 at 07:34 AM.
rainboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #32
arsingh1
Nameless Being

Hi Rainboy ,
I was also trying to get an e reader for my self here in india .( I simply love sony prs 300 /505) but customs and shipping costs made it difficult untill i heard of infibeam pi .
http://www.infibeam.com/Pi
It has been the first device launched in india .
so if you buy pi for (rs9999) you will get 1 year warranty in india .
That is a big thing before buying any item.
on the other hand you buy a kindle or sony prs you will have to pay the shipping 40$ and custom duties around 100$ raising its cost to 350$ without any warranty.

It in fact is a rebranded white-label (OEM) product from chinese OEM manufacturer C-Double Tek from Guangdong.
Some of the other clones are
Foxit eSlick
iRiver Libre
Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Astak Mentor
C-Double Tek's ve100.

So going for pi makes sense if you live in india , as i do.

So I have changed my decision, I'll go for pi and drop a sony or kindle as the e-nk screen i is same in all devices as it is a patented technology .(www.eink.com)

or wait for some time as another Indian company EC Media, owned by Kerala-based DC Books, has said that it will launch an e-reader by late March or early April.
The new EC Media e-reader will cost around Rs 8000 to Rs 18000.

The prices will come down in the months to come in india.
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM   #33
rainboy

Thanks for the reply.

I think a top branded product would have better quality than a white good product. e-ink technology is same but the product build & firmware bring in lot of credibility to the manufacturer. Maybe to avoid shipping + customs might request someone to get it to India.

Also i am not a big fan of white good products, lost few thousand rupees in the past....do not last beyond few months or first year.

BTW EC Media product seems to be interesting on their website.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #34
arsingh1
Nameless Being

Smile Sony prs-600 available in india

Hi Rainboy ,
There is a good news for gadget freaks and book lovers in India .
Sony Prs-600 is available in india for 10500 INR on ebey.in.

Check the link below.
http://cgi.ebay.in/Sony-PRS-600BC-RE...item3efd7c430e

I will also buy one pretty soon .But the only Question in my mind is Warranty .
The Seller has listed it as an imported device with 1 yr warranty.
I asked him the same question. To which he replied that it has an International Warranty and Sony India will not give it as Sony India is not marketing the product in India.

This reply has confused me more , How will I get the Warranty here in India when Sony India is not providing the same?

Please check this listing and if you find out anything please let me Know.

Thanks

Note: The link provided is for information only, I'm not related to the seller in any way.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:36 PM   #35
rainboy

Hi ar,

thanks for the info & the link.

you wouldnt get any warranty until you send it to sony back from an international location, this is just like any other grey market product.

the ebay seller doesn't look genuine. This is his first product, no product sold till date & 0 feedback.

also the regular price for Prs 600 would be anywhere between $240-$255, this guy is quoting at close to $225.

Cant trust, but good to know somebody else in India also is looking out for sony prs.

Last edited by rainboy; 03-12-2010 at 01:41 PM.
Advert
Old 03-12-2010, 11:00 PM   #36
arsingh1
Nameless Being

re: Sony prs 600 in india

Hi rainboy,

Thanks for replying back.

I think you are right , the seller is not a genuine one.
He is even willing to supply Sony prs 300 , prs 505 & prs 900 (All colours) for Rs9500, 15000 & 21000 respectively , but the doubt comes from the fact that he has mentioned shipping time as 30 business days that means a total of 40 day including holidays.

So, I think the people like us in India will have wait for some time more until an international brand like Sony comes to India.
Or we have to be content with buying ' infibeam pi '

In my opinion the reason why top brands are not launching readers in India are ,

First Most people here are not willing to shell out 10-15 k on an ebook reading devices. (Most of the people ,even the avid book readers laughed at me when i told them that i'm buying an ebook reader )

Secondly the pricing of the ebooks is atrocious e.g. "The Lost Symbol" By "Dan Brown" costs 975 INR in ebook format AND 454 INR for the hardbound edition at infibeam.com .That's Ludicrous .

Lastly book piracy is rampant here , you can easily get any latest book for 2-3 dollars .