Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Everyone says that but I still can't buy from them.
If you do choose to buy the Onyx Boox 60, I think Dulin's Books has the best deal right now that I know of.
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:09 AM   #17
rainboy
rainboy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Prs 505
Hi Mike,

Does dulin book ship to India? Any idea?

Thanks all for chipping in.
rainboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 04:40 AM   #18
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
Everyone says that but I still can't buy from them.
In "settings" of Sony's library software, choose "US".
Enter a valid US address.
Enter a valid credit card (can be Non-US).
If you give us exact details, what you enter when in which application, we should be able to figure out, why it's not working.
I'm using that workaround for almost 2 years now. In the beginning, I had to use gift cards. Since about 6 months (when they switched to their new library software with the introduction of Sony 300/600/900), gift cards aren't needed anymore and (any) credit card is working.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:06 AM   #19
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
In "settings" of Sony's library software, choose "US".
Enter a valid US address.
Enter a valid credit card (can be Non-US).
If you give us exact details, what you enter when in which application, we should be able to figure out, why it's not working.
I'm using that workaround for almost 2 years now. In the beginning, I had to use gift cards. Since about 6 months (when they switched to their new library software with the introduction of Sony 300/600/900), gift cards aren't needed anymore and (any) credit card is working.

Hi - can I just check something - by valid US address, do you mean you are simply selecting an address at random or you are making use of the address of someone you know?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 10:07 AM   #20
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
Hi - can I just check something - by valid US address, do you mean you are simply selecting an address at random or you are making use of the address of someone you know?
It has to be a "correct" address, I think they check zip-codes or something like that. But for example the fire department via Google would be a correct address.
I'm not sure about eBooks. But for iTunes, in some US states you have to pay taxes. That's why I've used California, which is tax free. But I don't know whether this applies for eBooks as well.
Advert
Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 AM   #21
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
It has to be a "correct" address, I think they check zip-codes or something like that. But for example the fire department via Google would be a correct address.
I'm not sure about eBooks. But for iTunes, in some US states you have to pay taxes. That's why I've used California, which is tax free. But I don't know whether this applies for eBooks as well.
EDIT: Just checked my account: Address "anywhere", street "somewhere". I only gave a valid zip code. The rest doesn't seem relevant.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:41 PM   #22
rainboy

Leaning more towards BeBook Neo or Onyx Boox now for wi-fi, wacom touch screen.

Last query

Which of the following would be ranked best for reading PDFs of any formatting within the budget of US $300:

1) BeBook Neo
2) Onyx Boox
3) Sony Prs 600

Thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #23
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainboy View Post

Last query

Which of the following would be ranked best for reading PDFs of any formatting within the budget of US $300:

1) BeBook Neo
2) Onyx Boox
3) Sony Prs 600

Thanks
I guess, Neo and Boox are identical. There only seem to be minor diferences in the firmwares.
As is, Sony only zooms for a single page, whereas Neo/Boox remembers that setting for the entire document.
If zoom is an issue for you (for me, in technical PDFs, it is) Sony 600 (or 900) ranks last of the 3 readers.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #24
cgk
Enthusiast
cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite Signature
Quote:
EDIT: Just checked my account: Address "anywhere", street "somewhere". I only gave a valid zip code. The rest doesn't seem relevant.
What is the postage like? And I guess there is no warranty? (well not one you can access without returning it to the US?)
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:44 PM   #25
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgk View Post
What is the postage like? And I guess there is no warranty? (well not one you can access without returning it to the US?)
This was for eBooks only. If you'd like to get hardware from the US, you either need a distributor in US. Or you need a supplier who delivers globally. If you go via 3rd party, warranty really usually only applies for the address of origin. In case of warranty, you most likely have to send it back.
BTW: Shipment from US to Europe usually is around $ 40. Don't forget: You most likely (probability >80%) will have to pay customs fees and taxes. As a rule of thumb, you can assume the price in $ adding up to roundabout the same amount in € for shipment to Europe. I don't have experience with other regions, but it probably will be similar.

Last edited by mgmueller; 02-27-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:46 PM   #26
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainboy View Post

Last query

1) BeBook Neo
2) Onyx Boox
3) Sony Prs 600

Thanks
The PRS-600 does read PDFs but I've found that they're difficult, especially when/if you need to resize the text. The best way to read PDFs is in landscape mode which is mildly inconvenient. If I have a choice I never choose to download material in PDF format.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:28 PM   #27
rainboy

I think Onyx Boox seems to be better bet than Sony Prs 600.

From where can i order Onyx Boox 60 or BeBook Neo for shipping to India?

MikeOnyx, any suggestions?
Old 03-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can order the Neo direct from http://www.mybebook.com
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:21 AM   #29
rainboy

Hey Guys,

Found an indian website selling a ebook reader, news to me as well!!! Sold for INR 9999, close to $217.00

Check this out: http://www.infibeam.com/Pi

The device looks like PocketBook 301.

Can someone chip in with their thoughts & is it worth at $217.

Please reply.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Looks like one of the many Netronix EB600 "clones" that are out there. Perfectly respectable machine, if so.

The Neo is much, much better, but also much, much more expensive. It's a matter of deciding what features you need, and how much you're willing to pay.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote