Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #1
tlc
Zealot
tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!tlc is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: KK 3G, iPad
preferring 505 over Kindle, what else should I consider?

Between the Sony's and the Kindle, I strongly prefer the 505. What other readers should I be considering? (And why?)

I prefer something that supports a variety of free formats. I'll buy DRM formats too if they can be 'cracked' and moved to another device someday. I don't want to be locked into a device or format or vendor. (Given this, which online e-book stores should I look at.)

I prefer something that will work with different OSes. MAC and Linux support are a must. (Calibre, right?)

Reading newspapers and blogs would be nice. (Calibre)

Textbooks aren't important.

I mostly read in bed, but I don't see lack of a light as a big issue considering the battery trade off. I use a booklight with paper books, so I can with the reader too.

I really like physical books. I wouldn't be considering a reader if we weren't going on a 2 month trip soon. I may sell the reader after the trip.

Other than turns/charge and font selections, I don't know what features I should be looking for. Do they all handle searching and bookmarks?

What other readers should I consider? Why?

Thanks!
tlc
tlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You might want to take a look at our E-book Reader Matrix for feature comparisons.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 04:00 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I have a 505. Its a great device. I would recommend it.
A neg. Based on your req is it is windows only. The kindle is pc liberated.
If you mostly read at night you might want to consider the EBook Wise 1150. Its back lit and last 15 hour on one charge.
I bought it for my daughter who loves it.

Last edited by =X=; 02-13-2009 at 04:03 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
505 doesn't have searching, but has bookmarks (and so does the kindle). I think though, if you get the 505 and use Calibre you should be happy with the 505. I think if you use it for two months you might have a hard time giving it up

If you get it, make sure you grab a PSP charger before you go, if you don't have computer access. It's cheaper than the AC adapter for the Reader and works perfectly. I'd recommend a booklight, but it sounds like you have one already.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #5
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc View Post
Between the Sony's and the Kindle, I strongly prefer the 505. What other readers should I be considering? (And why?)
I own both. My preferred reader is the Kindle, but the Sony is an excellent device.

Quote:
I prefer something that supports a variety of free formats. I'll buy DRM formats too if they can be 'cracked' and moved to another device someday. I don't want to be locked into a device or format or vendor. (Given this, which online e-book stores should I look at.)
Errr... Neither of the DRM formats supported by the Sony have been cracked -- well, at least I've never seen the programs for them. Whereas the basic MobiPocket DRM used on the Kindle is easily removed. Some Kindle books come in the newer Topaz format that doesn't appear to have been cracked, but that's not widely used yet.

The two bookstores selling books without DRM are Fictionwise (look for their "mutiformat books") and Baen/Webscriptions. For all the other books, if you want a DRM that can be removed, you'll buy MobiPocket or LIT format and then shift the book to a format understood by Sony or Kindle.

Quote:
I prefer something that will work with different OSes. MAC and Linux support are a must. (Calibre, right?)
Calibre supports both the Sony and Kindle. If you want to buy books for the Sony from the Sony store, you have to run their software on a Windows OS or emulated Windows. If you're in the USA, you can put books onto the Kindle without a computer at all.

Quote:
Calibre supports both Sony and Kindle.

Quote:
Textbooks aren't important.
Then either device should work fine for you.

Quote:
I mostly read in bed, but I don't see lack of a light as a big issue considering the battery trade off. I use a booklight with paper books, so I can with the reader too.
Though the lighted cover for the Sony is a really nice way to read with very little impact on a bedmate or roommate.

Quote:
I really like physical books. I wouldn't be considering a reader if we weren't going on a 2 month trip soon. I may sell the reader after the trip.
It's easy to get hooked on these things. They are sweet devices. But if you really don't think you'll keep a reader, then going for the least expensive one will probably be enough for you.

Quote:
Other than turns/charge and font selections, I don't know what features I should be looking for. Do they all handle searching and bookmarks?
I don't think the Sony supports searches. Certainly the 505 doesn't support highlighting or notes/comments. Those were additions to the 700. I use the highlighting and notes functions much more than the search -- and all my reading on the electronic devices is recreational reading.

Quote:
What other readers should I consider? Why?
Well, the Cybook is a good choice. Many of the same characteristics as the Kindle except for the Amazon store and the wireless feature. Also supports PDF like the Sony. The Hanlin/BeBook seems to have support for the largest number of file formats. The Wiki here at MobileRead has excellent information on various models of readers.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2009, 05:10 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Big point - book selection.

Amazon has over 200,000 books (some of those, of course, being dupes. But the same dupes that are dupes everywhere and free all over.)

Plus the magazines, newspapers, etc. that come to your device and look great without having to do it by hand or only getting a paragraph.

But mainly - content. There's just a LOT more (and growing quickly) content for the Kindle than anything else. So if you're into that sort of thing, I believe it's a big decision maker.

Personally, I think the Sony 505 is a much nicer "device" but as for books (and especially the search, dictionary, and annotate features) the Kindle wins.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:15 PM   #7
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
But mainly - content. There's just a LOT more (and growing quickly) content for the Kindle than anything else. So if you're into that sort of thing, I believe it's a big decision maker
Not really true. Though there are some exclusives, the majority of Kindle content is also available in Mobipocket for The Cybook (and other Mobi readers). Newer books are generally less expensive via the Kindle store, though -- so if one reads a lot of "best seller" material, the Kindle may be the wisest choice for that reason alone.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
Not really true. Though there are some exclusives, the majority of Kindle content is also available in Mobipocket for The Cybook (and other Mobi readers). Newer books are generally less expensive via the Kindle store, though -- so if one reads a lot of "best seller" material, the Kindle may be the wisest choice for that reason alone.
Sony does have one content advantage over Kindle: Public Library books. There are a lot more books in my public library in ADE format than there are in Mobipocket. The selection at my library isn't quite enough to make buying a 505 worthwhile since I'm sure I'd miss the dictionary and search functions quite a bit, but if you have a lot of titles available that you want at the library, it could be a factor worth looking at.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Sony does have one content advantage over Kindle: Public Library books.
Good point; I hadn't considered that angle.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 10:25 PM   #10
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Sony does have one content advantage over Kindle: Public Library books. There are a lot more books in my public library in ADE format than there are in Mobipocket. The selection at my library isn't quite enough to make buying a 505 worthwhile since I'm sure I'd miss the dictionary and search functions quite a bit, but if you have a lot of titles available that you want at the library, it could be a factor worth looking at.
Of course the Cybook Gen3 & the Hanlin V3 family (BeBook & EZ Reader) also have this advantage. Personally I prefer it to either Sony or Cybook. IMO it's better hardware although Cybook may have better software unless you like the openness of OpenInkPot for the Hanlins which I very much do.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 12:23 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
Of course the Cybook Gen3 & the Hanlin V3 family (BeBook & EZ Reader) also have this advantage.
Really, they can read Adobe Protected ePub/PDF now?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:54 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think slayda means that they can read library books - in Mobi format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:30 PM   #13
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
That assumes your public library has ebooks available.

Mine sure doesn't!

Also... I don't know about "most" those books. I just took the last 9 books I bought at Amazon (only two of which being "new best seller" types).

2 were available in Mobipocket format (at least at mobipocket.com, didn't check further.)

Both of which I paid 9.99 for. At Mobi one of them was $25.00 and the other was $28.00.

If I were you I'd look for books you like (as examples of the sort of things you buy) and look in the various ebook stores for similar titles. See what happens.

But at prices like that (not terribly uncommon in the ebook world not at Amazon for non-pulp titles) if you buy 10 books a year that's $150 bucks right there you're spending over the Kindle.

The biggest reason I took my Sony back was those facts there. What I wanted Sony didn't have and what I did was SO much more expensive in other places that it wasn't practical.

Last edited by Gideon; 02-14-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Check out the links:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

See which format is common in what you want to read.

HTH : )
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:

the kindle is better in all those repects to tell you the truth.

kindles only downfall is its form factor, its 1 inch longer (k2 is 1.5 inches longer) and 1 CM wider than the sony PRS 505.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote