Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #106
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: iPhone [Hyphen Reader]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyTX View Post
Apparently I've been asleep at the wheel and didn't even know about Hyphen or the beta testing until I saw this post yesterday!

So, I downloaded the current free version. I took a few minutes to replicate the settings that I currently use in Marvin. It was like running into an old friend ... hard to tell that I wasn't in Marvin.

Looks like I missed the boat on beta testing, but will definitely give the new version a test drive when it arrives. No more "asleep at the wheel".
Hello Marty! NBD, I'll get you in the beta ASAP.
hyphenreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #107
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyphenreader View Post
Hello Marty! NBD, I'll get you in the beta ASAP.
Got it last night. Thanks!

I'm taking the "kid in a candy store approach" and trying everything!

What's your preferred way to receive comments, questions, bug reports? For example: private message on this forum, public post on this forum, hyphenreader@gmail, Hyphen Reader on GitHub ... name your poison!

Marty

EDIT: Saw the "Send Feedback / Get Support" option built right into Hyphen, so I decided to use it rather than an alternative method.

Last edited by MartyTX; 06-16-2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Seek and you shall find!
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2016, 09:57 PM   #108
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Thats what I did. I thought I found a bug but it wasnt one (excellent) and I have been trying to break it ever since and I can't. Seems like everything is working as it should!
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:36 AM   #109
hyphenreader
Connoisseur
hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.hyphenreader solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Thats what I did. I thought I found a bug but it wasnt one (excellent) and I have been trying to break it ever since and I can't. Seems like everything is working as it should!
Glad to hear it!

Thank you everyone for the feedback and issue reporting so far.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:15 PM   #110
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
@hyphenreader: I am so pleased with the new Hyphen beta. It has pretty much everything I've been looking for in an ereading app for ... well, pretty much forever. Do you have an estimated date for an official release? Just wondering when I can share the joy with family and friends

P.S. Curious why you chose the name "hyphen"?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2016, 11:41 PM   #111
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
@hyphenreader: I am so pleased with the new Hyphen beta. It has pretty much everything I've been looking for in an ereading app for ... well, pretty much forever.
Wow, thank you. That means a lot!

Quote:
Do you have an estimated date for an official release? Just wondering when I can share the joy with family and friends
That depends on the current round of testing. There's a couple of bugs that I'm aware of atm that need to be ironed out. Hoping for mid to late July?

Quote:
P.S. Curious why you chose the name "hyphen"?
I actually went through several names. When initially conceptualizing Hyphen, I had my inspiration heavily in mind (Stanza!), and following a similar naming pattern I wanted something having to do with books/literature/grammar.

I started out with the name 'Satchel', but it was taken and kind of conflicted with too many other apps. I then was going to go with 'Otus' for awhile (a genus which owls belong too - my logic being 'hey! books are associated with books, right?' Glad I didn't go with that one). I pivoted a bit and looked at maybe using punctuation as a name, like Interrobang (which was taken). I finally settled on Hyphen - it was unused, didn't conflict with very many other apps, and 'felt' right.

So that's the story!

Last edited by hyphenreader; 06-26-2016 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:28 PM   #112
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... I actually went through several names. When initially conceptualizing Hyphen, I had my inspiration heavily in mind (Stanza!), and following a similar naming pattern I wanted something having to do with books/literature/grammar.

I started out with the name 'Satchel', but it was taken and kind of conflicted with too many other apps. I then was going to go with 'Otus' for awhile (a genus which owls belong too - my logic being 'hey! books are associated with books, right?' Glad I didn't go with that one). I pivoted a bit and looked at maybe using punctuation as a name, like Interrobang (which was taken). I finally settled on Hyphen - it was unused, didn't conflict with very many other apps, and 'felt' right.

So that's the story!
Ooh. Otus. That would have been fun. I'm serious.

I actually thought you were going to say you picked hyphen because hyphens connect words and Hyphen Reader is meant to connect readers with ebooks

Btw, I like your logo very much. The simplicity appeals to me.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #113
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Part of why I didn't go with that is that I picture southern farmers every time I think of it.

Quote:
I actually thought you were going to say you picked hyphen because hyphens connect words and Hyphen Reader is meant to connect readers with ebooks
That would be giving me too much credit. I wish that had been my reasoning, it's a very creative thought process.

Quote:
Btw, I like your logo very much. The simplicity appeals to me.
Thank you. App icons can be tough, so I stuck with the simplest visualization of the app's name and designed along those lines.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #114
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
Quote:
Part of why I didn't go with that is that I picture southern farmers every time I think of it.
Ha! Makes me think POTUS
Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #115
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Loving the Goodreads Integration. I could never remember to go and enter books into my lists, now... No problem... Well done, Matt!
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:02 PM   #116
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Loving the Goodreads Integration. I could never remember to go and enter books into my lists, now... No problem... Well done, Matt!
Thank you! There might be some issues with some of the Goodreads features at the moment, as they're making changes to their API. For now I think it's limited to the quotes feature.
Old 06-29-2016, 05:58 PM   #117
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Build 21 of the beta is out! Changelog available here: hyphenreader.com/beta-changelog
Old 06-29-2016, 06:03 PM   #118
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
ADE page numbers

@hyphenreader - I have been doing some comparison between ADE and Hyphen on the issue of page numbering, as Hyphen claims to use ADE page numbering. It seems that sometimes the page numbers don't match, especially for books with figures.

Of course I am inclined to think that on this issue ADE is right, and Hyphen is less right. But I don't want to stop at that. I looked up ADE page numbers, and saw the line:

Assume that there is a page for each 1024 bytes in each resource, rounding up to the nearest whole number of pages for each resource.

For ASCII characters, one character takes up one byte. For Unicode characters, one character takes up two bytes. But what about an image? The HTML line that specifies the image is more or less of the same length, regardless of the image file size or the display size of the image. How many ADE pages does an image really take?

Is the ADE page numbering scheme really ambiguous as it sounds? If yes, then ADE page numbering compliance is a loose label. I hope that Adobe does better than that. Well, you must know this issue more than I do. Can you help explain it? Thanks.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #119
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post

For ASCII characters, one character takes up one byte. For Unicode characters, one character takes up two bytes. But what about an image? The HTML line that specifies the image is more or less of the same length, regardless of the image file size or the display size of the image. How many ADE pages does an image really take?

Is the ADE page numbering scheme really ambiguous as it sounds? If yes, then ADE page numbering compliance is a loose label. I hope that Adobe does better than that. Well, you must know this issue more than I do. Can you help explain it? Thanks.
Unicode UTF-8 also takes 1 byte for most characters that you see but occasionally it uses 2 or even 3. ADE page numbers are a computed value not based on font size thus they are uniform on all readers and all books. This is their value for the consumers. They are not expect to line up exactly with any particular device but represents the approximate size of a page in a book.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #120
hyphenreader
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Unicode UTF-8 also takes 1 byte for most characters that you see but occasionally it uses 2 or even 3. ADE page numbers are a computed value not based on font size thus they are uniform on all readers and all books. This is their value for the consumers. They are not expect to line up exactly with any particular device but represents the approximate size of a page in a book.

Dale
I wrote something longer than this saying more or less same thing. Plus, there's the fact that ADE page numbers use the compressed size of a resource, so the type of compression used affects the number of 'pages'. It also doesn't take images/similiar non-text content into account.

Tags
ebook, epub, hyphen, ibooks, ios